Lockdown Nov 20, what are you doing ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Lockdown Nov 20, what are you doing ?

Post by weeksy »

Anyone taking up something new for this one ? Got an active project in the shed ? Or maybe even in the garage ? A hobby you're going to try ? Lego you're going to build ?

For me, it's the start of a new race series on Zwift tonight, which i want to do better than last time. Along with getting some jumping mojo back on the MTB.

The XSR900 is hoping to get a last farewell tomorrow if it dries as predicted, it'll then be cleaned and covered for winter before being unleashed on the world in March/April again :)
Greenman

Re: Lockdown Nov 20, what are you doing ?

Post by Greenman »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:59 am Anyone taking up something new for this one ? Got an active project in the shed ? Or maybe even in the garage ? A hobby you're going to try ? Lego you're going to build ?

For me, it's the start of a new race series on Zwift tonight, which i want to do better than last time. Along with getting some jumping mojo back on the MTB.

The XSR900 is hoping to get a last farewell tomorrow if it dries as predicted, it'll then be cleaned and covered for winter before being unleashed on the world in March/April again :)
Working.

I shall be with all the others in schools and Uni's continuing to spread the virus around in this utterly pointless lockdown.

I'm all for a full lockdown, but only if it is that, a full fucking lockdown, leaving schools etc open won't stop the spread so we are all just locking down for nothing really!

Every single school i attend have numerous staff off and numerous bubbles closed!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Greenman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:57 am Working.

I shall be with all the others in schools and Uni's continuing to spread the virus around in this utterly pointless lockdown.

I'm all for a full lockdown, but only if it is that, a full fucking lockdown, leaving schools etc open won't stop the spread so we are all just locking down for nothing really!

Every single school i attend have numerous staff off and numerous bubbles closed!
Easy tiger... this a bit of a light hearted thread, no a rant about lockdown thread :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I'll be working, at work, apparently I'm vital to the UK economy
Honda Owner
G.P

Post by G.P »

I'll be working through this one as I did the last one. I gave notice on my current contract last week and signed for a new project which will be home based for the first couple of months anyway.
I'm going to sort the garage out to get some space so my lads can keep weights and punch bag in there, also somewhere for them to congregate with mates post lockdown.
Also will focus on getting the trackbike finished - mechanically if not painted.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:03 am
Greenman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:57 am Working.

Easy tiger... this a bit of a light hearted thread, no a rant about lockdown thread :)
Trust me that wasn't a rant...;)
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Same as the last lockdown, working.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Common theme here, working, just like last time. Apparently we keep the roads open to allow the NHS to get continuity of supply.
Can’t help but agree with Greenie, do a lockdown or don’t but not this half arsed thing!!
Mick
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

A bit of an odd one for me. I'll be on site in my little studio 3 days a week, which is fine as I work alone and i'm in a bubble with conservators but i don't really see them anyway. The other 2 days I'm working at home and that's quite sad as I'm being a "scan monkey" and scanning certain material which has no real monetary value, not soemthing i'm normally involved with, but I'm guessing they have to justify my wages. The sad part is we had a dept that did that and now i'm doing it which indicates they are probably being given their marching orders soon in the expected wave of redundancies.

With my BMW being (hopefully) sold, i had thought about buying an older bike to mess about with, but I don't have a garage or shed to do it in and it also occurred to me that most older, cheaper bikes wont be ULEZ compliant and no use to me because of that. So I guess a second bike is out.

Another project i've been thinking about is building a combined shed and garden shelter/room thing like below. I'd like the shed to be a sort of workshop so I could play about with bikes or suchlike. My enthusiasm for this is lacking as i have to demolish my old shed and do some quite major ground work first as its very uneven at the bottom of my garden. A digger will feck up the rest of the garden with the ground so soft, so that's parked until spring I reckon.

So the reality is any projects at home are likely to be a continuance of the bathroom rejuvenation and then starting on the kitchen! Boring! :(

The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Good question.

As an independent trainer, I'm not bound by the DVSA who have told all trainers - car and bike - to shut down completely (which means no CBTs for people who need them because their certificate is about to run out, incidentally) so in theory as I can't 'work from home' when I'm delivering a training course I would have an argument in favour of keeping the on-road courses going.

Of course, there is something of a moral question. Should I keep training when everyone else has to stop? Dunno. :?

I'm already delivering online coaching via Zoom so I suppose I'll be pushing that as an alternative to an on-road course.

What I will be doing for sure is putting more written content up on line at www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills, making more short better biking video in my '60 Second Safety' series which is on my www.youtube.com/survivalskillsuk channel and continuing to do my live Sun / Wed 'Elevenses' webcasts at 11 on my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/survivalskills.

Should keep me busy.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Skub

Post by Skub »

There's a lockdown? :eh:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Pretty much no change here - except schools are open this time, which ids a godsend.

Mrs D and I have both been WFH for ages, it ain't gonna change any time soon.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Hopefully moving into new house and kitting up the garage.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:52 am There's a lockdown? :eh:
Dunno ;)
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

WFH with a possible site visit or two depending on what needs doing if I'm allowed, last time was Shielding so may have to do the same again which will mean no site visits
The Tuono is SORNed as of last Saturday. The Le Mans is still on bench having been pulled apart. Separated the Engine and gearbox to sort an oil leak and rebuilt the bevel drive with new seals and bearings. It just needs the fuel pipes conecting though and the gearbox and bevel drive filling with oil, so could be ready for a test ride at the weekend if that counts as exercise.

I might get the Tuono up on the bench and give it an oil and filter change and do the valve clearances. I have always had it serviced at Southern Cross in Kilburn, but think its time i did it myself, bucket and shims won't be as easy as the screw and locknuts on the Le Mans. Also going to change the fork oil last winter I put 5w oil in the forks having read on an Aprilia forum it improved the front end, not got on with it though so I'm going back to 10w.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

carry on as normal - we are being asked to keep clinics going .
Missus will work from home.
Depends how the numbers go in my neck of the woods as to whether I'm re deployed again.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Same as every working day since mid March, working from home which is likely to just continue for months / years to come.

:?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So none of you are doing anything other than working? No hobbies, no DIY projects, no taking up martial arts, nothing? You boring sods
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'll be WFH... which means doing the obsolete minimum amount of work.

So I might do some polishing.

I've got the day off tomorrow, so might take the Enfield out for a spin to see if I've fixed the weep from the head gasket. If not then a new HG will be a nice little project. Might even have a look at how clean the intake is and neaten it up (with my top tuning tool, the Dremel) for more POWER!

I really really want to buy a race bike for next year, but I also want to buy a retro superbike and I also want to buy a tourer, or maybe a cheap track toy... too many wants!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:57 pm So none of you are doing anything other than working? No hobbies, no DIY projects, no taking up martial arts, nothing? You boring sods
Charm school wasn't a great success then ? ;)