In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Felix

Re: In todays news...

Post by Felix »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:59 pm Proper hard hitting NEWS!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-67437740
Probably some piss head from Glasgow thinking Extreme ironing is still a thing.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:06 pm Knobheads moaning :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Almost as bad as moaning about tourists

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:58 pm Knobhead tourists. Ours is the family resort and it's fantastic. No knobheads.

But tonight 3 pissed up kids with no shirts wandering about.
Just seen them go in 3 bars and all refused to serve them. Strict shirt rules.

Now they're all angry and shouting. Knobheads.

They'll be going home soon hopefully ;)
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:59 pm Proper hard hitting NEWS!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-67437740
BBC wrote:"Those unfamiliar with outdoors culture don't always understand the first unwritten rule of the hills, which is leave nothing behind but your boot prints."
Which is all well and good until those same boot prints are the cause of accelerated pathway erosion and the same people jump up and down about that.

No pleasing some people.
cheb

Post by cheb »

You carried all that stuff to the top, you can carry it all back down. And it's easier as you have gravity giving you a hand.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

One should be grateful to come upon such an item, were one to find oneself atop the Ben in disheveled moleskins.

Potter

Post by Potter »

Jeremy Hunt considering cuts to inheritance tax - ://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67448602

I feel like this has been a long time coming, with property prices through the roof it's not hard to reach the threshold now and I've always felt it was unfair to tax people on property/assets bought with money that was taxed (several times in some cases) anyway.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:10 pm Jeremy Hunt considering cuts to inheritance tax - ://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67448602

I feel like this has been a long time coming, with property prices through the roof it's not hard to reach the threshold now and I've always felt it was unfair to tax people on property/assets bought with money that was taxed (several times in some cases) anyway.
France is way behind on this in someways. I don’t have any blood family to leave my apartment to. Because my niece and nephew are ‘removed’ it’s something like 45%. Can even leave to my brother to pass on as he’s a step brother, so would pay more than the kids!!! 🙄🙄

Inheritance laws are tough in different places for different reasons 🙄🙄
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm normally happy to pay my share of tax when the law requires it, I don't employ any inventive methods to try and get out of it, but as I said I don't think inheritance tax is very fair, you've likely paid some form of tax on the money you bought your property with anyway.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-67444742
BBC wrote:Bradley Lowery: Sheffield Wednesday fan sentenced over photo jibe
It's now illegal to offend football supporters?!?
A ban from football matches was well deserved but how is this a criminal offence?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Noggin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:51 pm
Potter wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:10 pm Jeremy Hunt considering cuts to inheritance tax - ://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67448602

France is way behind on this in someways. I don’t have any blood family to leave my apartment to. Because my niece and nephew are ‘removed’ it’s something like 45%. Can even leave to my brother to pass on as he’s a step brother, so would pay more than the kids!!! 🙄🙄

That's why you put property in a Family Trust, it doesn't get "inherited", you just change the beneficiary running the trust.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When my nephew gets my half of this place, he'll be paying 160,000€ tax at todays value :(
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:35 pm

That's why you put property in a Family Trust, it doesn't get "inherited", you just change the beneficiary running the trust.
I'm reasonably sure it isn't that simple here. But once life is back on the level, it is something I have to look into and sort out. I have the details for a Notaire (fr)/Solicitor (UK) that can help. But, nothing is that simple over here :roll: :roll: :roll:

I do plan to try and do as much of the paperwork that is possible before it's needed simply because things went very wrong in our family before, so want to make sure that what I have (which isn't a lot TBF) goes where it should without too many costs

Yorick wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:23 pm

When my nephew gets my half of this place, he'll be paying 160,000€ tax at todays value :(
I think Europe has much more draconian laws than the uk - probably due to most countries with those sorts of laws being mostly catholic!! But it still sucks :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The difference in the law on inheritance has really shaped the societies quite differently.

UK had primogeniture, the first-born got the title, all of the land, and most of the money. Great if you were first, but otherwise it sucked. Today YOU decide who gets what, unless it is a title, and a big family trust

Europe was a bit fairer, all the kids got more or less equal shares. Nice idea, but it morphed into a rigid system where you can't decide who gets your money/property. And the property side causes huge problems, especially if one beneficiary is a twat.

The UK system seems fairer today, but it enabled people to build up huge fortunes, and pass them along to the favoured offspring. The European system seems grossly unfair today, but it did spread money and land around a bit more evenly.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
cheb

Post by cheb »

There's major differences between English and Welsh law, and Scottish law. I don't all the details but the Scottish system seems to make family disputes very easy to start. I think it tends more to the European system.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

All I know about Scotish law is that it is different.

AFAIK the English primogeniture started around the Norman conquest. The king gave big chunks of land to assorted mates to control and didnt want it split up, so 1st son got the lot, unless the king snatched it back.

Since Scotland avoided getting conquered by William the Conqueror I assume you stayed with what you had.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Sounds about right. Seems odd that the state should be able to dictate who you leave your money to. It's my money to do as I see fit with. And I don't see my parents' money as my inheritance, it's their money to do what they want with. If that doesn't include leaving it to me or any other family then fine.

I'm mildly amused that inheritance tax is now a thing among the chattering classes, it was always A Good Thing when it hit The Rich, who avoided it anyway in a variety of ways. A cousin of mine was incensed he had to pay some when his f-i-l died. It seemed a reasonable sized house in Bognor was worth a goodly chunk of money. IIRC you have to pay the tax before you can claim the balance of the estate.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I might as well ask...
What is the UK inheritance tax situation? There's only two beneficiaries when my mom pops her clogs: Me in the US & my sister in the UK.

No tax to pay at the US end.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Here in Spain the laws are very complicated. That's ended with thousands of house that can't be sold coz of several folk entitled to a part of it, but can't agree. So all lode out.

And folk in UK have to pay full tax of anything they inherit from here

We're trying to find a legal way for us to take a chunk of the valuation and either spend it or gift it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:32 pm I might as well ask...
What is the UK inheritance tax situation? There's only two beneficiaries when my mom pops her clogs: Me in the US & my sister in the UK.

No tax to pay at the US end.
40% on any assets over £325k. I dunno how the US thing will work,though.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Pharque... I guess that explains several pre-death transfers...

Both my sis & step dad were UK tax inspectors. Their office dealt with people working in the Westminister area... which explains my step dads opinion of all those political wankers.