In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: In todays news...

Post by Potter »

irie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:42 am
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:15 pm... So as the extremists are on the run and well away from any positions of power how can they be a threat? The Labour Party is a very different animal to what it was in the Corbyn years.
That's what Labour would have us believe. The nut jobs are sitting quietly in the NEC and other murky corners waiting for Labour to get elected.

People such as Rebecca Long-Bailey, contributing author of the 2019 Labour manifesto, have gone very quiet. For now.
There are a lot of people who are angry at inequality in the UK, I think it's justified, there is something very rotten at the core, but they don't have much beyond the anger, i.e. they have no plan to do anything better, except hollow theoretical soundbites.

My old man wasn't militant but he was always moaning about work and how the working man was being screwed over, and it's hard to disagree with a lot of these types of complaints, the likes of Sunak, Cameron, etc, really don't give a monkeys about us, and people like Corbyn are twisted ideologists who lost sight of the working man's struggles a long time ago.

Choosing sides seems like a futile exercise.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:09 am
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:15 pm... So as the extremists are on the run and well away from any positions of power how can they be a threat? The Labour Party is a very different animal to what it was in the Corbyn years.
That's what Labour would have us believe. The nut jobs are sitting quietly in the NEC and other murky corners waiting for Labour to get elected.

People such as Rebecca Long-Bailey, contributing author of the 2019 Labour manifesto, have gone very quiet. For now.
There are a lot of people who are angry at inequality in the UK, I think it's justified, there is something very rotten at the core, but they don't have much beyond the anger, i.e. they have no plan to do anything better, except hollow theoretical soundbites.

My old man wasn't militant but he was always moaning about work and how the working man was being screwed over, and it's hard to disagree with a lot of these types of complaints, the likes of Sunak, Cameron, etc, really don't give a monkeys about us, and people like Corbyn are twisted ideologists who lost sight of the working man's struggles a long time ago.

Choosing sides seems like a futile exercise.
I disagree.

I think someone like Corbyn should be given a chance to see if what they have is better than what we currently are offered. He was just victimised by the other parties as they knew he had a chance to shake up all their corruption and bring in something different that would of disrupted the balance between the super rich and the poor, they can't be having that!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:31 pm

^^^ ^^^
Why the big pause?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:09 am My old man wasn't militant but he was always moaning about work and how the working man was being screwed over, and it's hard to disagree with a lot of these types of complaints
Back in Thatcher’s time, God knows what year, the budget report was on the radio in the shed where I worked. Frankly, it was just the usual mildly annoying budget in those times.

Davey the driver exclaimed “See- they’re hitting the fucking working man again! They always fucking do that!”

I asked him what he meant, because I didn’t get it.

“Drink and fags- up again! Fucking Tory bastards!”
Potter

Post by Potter »

Greenman wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:48 am
I disagree.

I think someone like Corbyn should be given a chance to see if what they have is better than what we currently are offered. He was just victimised by the other parties as they knew he had a chance to shake up all their corruption and bring in something different that would of disrupted the balance between the super rich and the poor, they can't be having that!

Corbyn is a man that failed at everything, including his A levels, so he drifted into work in the unions.
He is a professional sponger that has sucked the tax payer's tit for his whole life, he got away with it for many years through obscurity but after being under the spotlight he was eventually rooted out and banned.

If he's the answer then we're asking the wrong question.
Potter

Post by Potter »

And as I said before, Corbyn is the Tommy Robinson of the left.
They both verge far enough towards the centre ground to get mainstream attention, they dress up their opinions with enough topical pain points that it seems to have some sense in it, they will appeal to the disenfranchised, and you can see why people look at both of them and think "You know, I don't agree with everything but he's got a point there...".

IMO I'm seeing more polarised views than I have since the 80's, the more people start to suffer the more they look for extreme options and the more that these people seem to make sense.

But do you want people like Tommy Robinson and Jeremy Corbyn running your country...
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:52 am But do you want people like Tommy Robinson and Jeremy Corbyn running your country...
Just look across the pond at Biden/Trump to get an idea about what will happen.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:52 am And as I said before, Corbyn is the Tommy Robinson of the left.
They both verge far enough towards the centre ground to get mainstream attention, they dress up their opinions with enough topical pain points that it seems to have some sense in it, they will appeal to the disenfranchised, and you can see why people look at both of them and think "You know, I don't agree with everything but he's got a point there...".

IMO I'm seeing more polarised views than I have since the 80's, the more people start to suffer the more they look for extreme options and the more that these people seem to make sense.

But do you want people like Tommy Robinson and Jeremy Corbyn running your country...
I think the real question is, will they be any worse than what we have now. Maybe not Robinson though as he is just a racist fool.

Maybe they will have more interest in making and forcing in policies that are fair for all, the rich people wont like it but they have ways and means of surviving if they get hit by negative change, the poor have no backup and are forced to use food backs etc when a new tory rule gets forced in that is positively bias towards the rich.

People like Dougie Smith etc though will still have the overall say no matter who is in power apparetly!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Paranoid much? RLB and her ilk are quiet because they've effectively been disenfranchised. Friends of mine who were ardent Corbynistas have been shown the door at their local Labour party. This isn't a skin deep change.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:52 am

Paranoid much? RLB and her ilk are quiet because they've effectively been disenfranchised. Friends of mine who were ardent Corbynistas have been shown the door at their local Labour party. This isn't a skin deep change.
For every dickhead shown the door another one enters. In all parties. Only the gullible believe otherwise.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:55 pm

For every dickhead shown the door another one enters. In all parties. Only the gullible believe otherwise.
Yeah, paranoid then. Your view is clearly not for changing, so I won't bother. And my friends may be left wingers but they are very much not dickheads. When the insults come out, debate changes to a slanging match. I'm out.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Have to smile, wryly.

Labour try to sideline party outliers, Conservatives throw out dangerous radicals like err Ken Clarke, Anne Milton, Philip Hammond, Oliver Letwin, Dominic Grieve etc.

Yet it's the Labour Party that's under threat from a takeover. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:02 pm
irie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:55 pm
Yeah, paranoid then. Your view is clearly not for changing, so I won't bother. And my friends may be left wingers but they are very much not dickheads. When the insults come out, debate changes to a slanging match. I'm out.
I was referring to political parties hence "in all parties"! :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

I think I've worked out what the problem is. We always vote in the wrong party for government. I know this because whichever party is there at the time, it gets everything wrong whilst all the other parties know the solutions and how they would manage them. Since they're all there for the good of the country and its people, wouldn't you think that they'd want to pass on their knowledge so those solutions could be executed?

Yeah, right! Neither do I.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-67440814

Jesus H Christ, could the Police not find a better named officer to comment on the inquest?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:49 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-67440814

Jesus H Christ, could the Police not find a better named officer to comment on the inquest?
I know, I'm going to hell, but even with the seriousness of the report, because I went looking for the officers name, I did laugh out loud!!

How did he manage at school with a name like De'ath :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:00 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:49 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-67440814

I know, I'm going to hell, but even with the seriousness of the report, because I went looking for the officers name, I did laugh out loud!!

How did he manage at school with a name like De'ath :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I worked with a Tim De'ath....surprisingly no-one took the pee. Nice chap, but a bit other-worldly. I suspect he was from a landed gentry outfit that fell on hard times.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

You can buy a motorbike from Dave Death https://www.davedeathmotorcycles.co.uk/
Seems like they're a big shop so punters mustn't be put off by the name :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:59 pm Proper hard hitting NEWS!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-67437740
Knobheads moaning :obscene-birdiedoublered: