Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Jody »

Modern devices and their inability to have a simple on switch . Many aren't labelled properly, those that are :-

do I push the button once ? Do I hold it down, for 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 2 fuggin weeks???
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Jody wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:48 pm Modern devices and their inability to have a simple on switch . Many aren't labelled properly, those that are :-

do I push the button once ? Do I hold it down, for 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 2 fuggin weeks???
And when I have done the button pushing, how long do I have to wait before the light goes out?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Jody wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:48 pm Modern devices and their inability to have a simple on switch . Many aren't labelled properly, those that are :-

Recently bought a new printer. Couldn't set it up without downloading an app to my phone. Fuckers.
Even though I had the right cable to the laptop in situ.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Knobhead tourists. Ours is the family resort and it's fantastic. No knobheads.

But tonight 3 pissed up kids with no shirts wandering about.
Just seen them go in 3 bars and all refused to serve them. Strict shirt rules.

Now they're all angry and shouting. Knobheads.

They'll be going home soon hopefully ;)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Weird incident with internet today. The orange box at work stopped working, so we thought ok, connect using the phone. Nope.

Not knowing what provider the office uses initially I tried to connect to my home wifi (yes, I work that close to home) that is orange. Realised that mine didn't work either

Tried to connect the office computers to the office phone, my phone, my colleague's phone - nope

So, I've ended up taking my laptop to work as weirdly, that still connects to my phone!! LOL

We are now wondering if the guys digging up the area outside the office have killed a cable!! LOL Or if I tree has fallen on a wire!! LOL

But - we wasted quite a long time trying to find a way to connect :roll: :roll: :roll:

Apparently orange will try to reconnect the office (and home stuff) by tomorrow late morning!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Noggin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:46 pm We are now wondering if the guys digging up the area outside the office have killed a cable!! LOL
That was colloquially known as 'a paddy with a pick axe' back in the day. You could probably substitute JCB for pick axe, TBF.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I shout at my TV daily - i have to press the on button about 20 times on the remote before it responds, so fucking annoying, and yes they are new batteries in the remote.

And when the TV does turn on i can't press any buttons for about a minute, i drives me crazy. It also likes to turn itself back on after you turn it off too, it's fucking possessed i tells ya!

Sony TV.
Horse

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:15 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:46 pm We are now wondering if the guys digging up the area outside the office have killed a cable!! LOL
That was colloquially known as 'a paddy with a pick axe' back in the day. You could probably substitute JCB for pick axe, TBF.
Technically, it has a number in TSRGD and Chapter 8

Known in the roadworks industry, the 'the paddy board'

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:40 pm
Technically, it has a number in TSRGD and Chapter 8

Known in the roadworks industry, the 'the paddy board'

Ah. Warning, man struggling with umbrella.

(When they were replacing the local gas pipes there was a bit of a bang! as the chap with the mini-digger excavated our electricity supply. He looked a little shaken, so him and his mate took the rest of the day off...while we waited for the electricity people to come and reconnect us. :( ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Fault code will be DWP. Due to Working Party
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
McNab

Post by McNab »

Greenman wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:26 pm

I shout at my TV daily - i have to press the on button about 20 times on the remote before it responds, so fucking annoying, and yes they are new batteries in the remote.

And when the TV does turn on i can't press any buttons for about a minute, i drives me crazy. It also likes to turn itself back on after you turn it off too, it's fucking possessed i tells ya!

Sony TV.
Yes, mine is the same. So slow that you don't know if it's registered your button press so after a while you press again and then worry you've turned it off again.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

When I worked in a data centre, there was a requirement to upgrade the supply to the point where we needed an electricity substation of our very own. Some serious excavations were required and there was much perusing of power cable plans. One day all lights and power went off and after the initial moment's slience bedlam ensued, followed by the unmistakeable bellow of the backup diesel gennys kicking off. Later it emerged that a JCB had found an undocumented but crucial power cable and sliced through it.

The equipment in the data halls didn't miss a beat. A hefty power bank of batteries took the strain between the time the cable was cut and the time the gennys were up to speed, so nobody died. But there were some anxious faces among management until that fact was confirmed.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:08 pm When I worked in a data centre, there was a requirement to upgrade the supply to the point where we needed an electricity substation of our very own. Some serious excavations were required and there was much perusing of power cable plans. One day all lights and power went off and after the initial moment's slience bedlam ensued, followed by the unmistakeable bellow of the backup diesel gennys kicking off. Later it emerged that a JCB had found an undocumented but crucial power cable and sliced through it.

The equipment in the data halls didn't miss a beat. A hefty power bank of batteries took the strain between the time the cable was cut and the time the gennys were up to speed, so nobody died. But there were some anxious faces among management until that fact was confirmed.
That's the data centre with the wholesale fireworks shop across the road?

Good job there's a fire station on the same road :)
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:12 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:08 pm When I worked in a data centre, there was a requirement to upgrade the supply to the point where we needed an electricity substation of our very own. Some serious excavations were required and there was much perusing of power cable plans. One day all lights and power went off and after the initial moment's slience bedlam ensued, followed by the unmistakeable bellow of the backup diesel gennys kicking off. Later it emerged that a JCB had found an undocumented but crucial power cable and sliced through it.

That's the data centre with the wholesale fireworks shop across the road?

Good job there's a fire station on the same road :)
Yeah they've got cause, effect and remedy all packaged up nicely. :)
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I managed a 24/7 centre with a big UPS bank and a big generator. Unfortunately the fuel tank only had enough for 2 hours on load. ☹️

Fortunately we never needed it , or it would have been squeaky bum time getting it refilled.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:39 pm

I managed a 24/7 centre with a big UPS bank and a big generator. Unfortunately the fuel tank only had enough for 2 hours on load. ☹️

Fortunately we never needed it , or it would have been squeaky bum time getting it refilled.
That's a single point of failure if I ever saw one... :) I forget how long a full tank of diesel lasted in our situation, but it was days (possibly weeks) not hours. But then it is a Bank data centre and everything is duplicated, resilient and redundant.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Yes, I pointed that out, and it was 'scheduled' for a bigger tank. In about 3 years time.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:57 pm
Fault code will be DWP. Due to Working Party
We're still not sure if it was DWP. Orange sent out large amounts of mobile data (ok, increased everyones limit!!) to cover the outage. But the text on my phone to tell me came through about two hours after our systems started working - my home one was working when I got back!! LOL

Was a bizarre few hours in the office but at least I now know I can get all the systems I need on my laptop! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:47 pm Yes, I pointed that out, and it was 'scheduled' for a bigger tank. In about 3 years time.
Because incidents always wait until mitigation is in place, don't they? :)
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:08 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:47 pm Yes, I pointed that out, and it was 'scheduled' for a bigger tank. In about 3 years time.
Because incidents always wait until mitigation is in place, don't they? :)
At least they waited until I had buggered off. 😆
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!