In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
KungFooBob

Re: In todays news...

Post by KungFooBob »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:59 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:27 pm
I don't totally disagree, but, riddle me this, if voting had an intelligence bar that people had to get over in order to vote*, how do you think it would impact GE results? a) as the system is now b) if voting was compulsory?

Just watching the evening news - a young woman is complaining that a "miracle dieting drug" that she bought via an Instagram account (interview cuts to video footage from said Instagram account where some absolute freaky monster with an incredible amount of plastic surgery - including what seems to be buttock implants - badly 'demonstrates' how you're supposed to administer some really hooky looking unbranded vials of liquid) that subsequently made her really ill. :D It's dressed up like a really really low rent version of Watchdog. I mean what next? Don't drill your eyeballs?

These are the same people that have spent three years being adamant that covid vaccine testing was bodged because "my opinion (that I might have got from Facebook ) is valid", they're sick "of science" and is definitely part of some global conspiracy.

So yes, an IQ test to weed out the morons. I'm not bothered if that means less chance of "my favoured party" being elected. But fwiw, Brexit wouldn't have happened, so there.
This one I was reading earlier..?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67414203
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:48 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:43 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:54 pm

You actually think that Starmer is an extremist? :shock:
No I don't think he's an extremist, I think he's a rather slow moving academic type who wouldn't make a good PM, but he's not an extremist, at least not in where he stands on the political spectrum anyway.
I didn't think you were talking about Starmer.
No I was talking about Corbyn, banned from his own party for extremist crackpot-ism.
Starmer is nothing like him, I'm not a fan but he's not a dangerous extremist nutcase like Corbyn.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:54 pm

You actually think that Starmer is an extremist? :shock:
No I don't think he's an extremist, I think he's a rather slow moving academic type who wouldn't make a good PM, but he's not an extremist, at least not in where he stands on the political spectrum anyway.
Starmer is the present incumbent of the Leader of the Labour Party gig, and he has been quietly purging the so-called extremists from the party. So as the extremists are on the run and well away from any positions of power how can they be a threat? The Labour Party is a very different animal to what it was in the Corbyn years.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Lol, IQ test for voting! Nothing should be ever further away from happening. Just imagine how that would work out for the working classes and the disadvantaged! :wtf: You elitist bastards!! :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

He's right.

Landed gentry only is the correct way forward.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:15 pm

Starmer is the present incumbent of the Leader of the Labour Party gig, and he has been quietly purging the so-called extremists from the party. So as the extremists are on the run and well away from any positions of power how can they be a threat? The Labour Party is a very different animal to what it was in the Corbyn years.
It's all quite interesting. If we are to believe all we read Corbyn was the hero of the left and a rampant anti-semite. At the same time that left ie Momentum, lead by Jon Lansman made Corbyn their leader. (To be totally accurate they made him leader, then formed Momentum 4 weeks later). It kind of slipped people's notice that the founder of Momentum was, in fact, Jewish. How did such a thing happen? Did Lansman not realise? How could he be cheerleader for such a person?

Either way, Corbyn is history (some won't let it lie though)....but Momentum isn't, although their membership has dropped.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:37 pm
It's all quite interesting. If we are to believe all we read Corbyn was the hero of the left and a rampant anti-semite. At the same time that left ie Momentum, lead by Jon Lansman made Corbyn their leader. (To be totally accurate they made him leader, then formed Momentum 4 weeks later). It kind of slipped people's notice that the founder of Momentum was, in fact, Jewish. How did such a thing happen? Did Lansman not realise? How could he be cheerleader for such a person?

Either way, Corbyn is history (some won't let it lie though)....but Momentum isn't, although their membership has dropped.
I think many people have HUGE problems separating anti-Israel sympathy with anti-semitism. I have no idea whether Corbyn was anti-semitic, he was certainly sympathetic to the Palestinian cause, and thus by definition not a fan of Israel. Perhaps Lansman was a Jewish bloke that shared the same views.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:04 pm
This one I was reading earlier..?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67414203
Yep, mental.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:58 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:37 pm

I think many people have HUGE problems separating anti-Israel sympathy with anti-semitism. I have no idea whether Corbyn was anti-semitic, he was certainly sympathetic to the Palestinian cause, and thus by definition not a fan of Israel. Perhaps Lansman was a Jewish bloke that shared the same views.
I think some people have problems separating Israel and the government of Israel. It's perfectly possible to support one and not the (current) other.

Lansman was interviewed by The Jewish Chronicle in January 2016. He was asked about attitudes to Israel in the Labour Party and the attitudes of Jews towards it: "Yes, of course the vast majority of British Jews are supportive of Israel as a Jewish state – and actually so is Jeremy – but they are far from supportive of all aspects of what is currently happening there", he said. "I think Jews in Britain want peace too. I think Jeremy's message of fairness for the Palestinians is not something that will be rejected by the Jewish community."

It's not the story that people want to hear though.
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Knobheads ...
The complaint was reportedly made by a new resident.

https://news.sky.com/story/single-noise ... n-13008896
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:29 pm He's right.

Landed gentry only is the correct way forward.
You think the inbreds would pass the IQ test. :lol:
Voltaire
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:59 pm

Just watching the evening news - a young woman is complaining that a "miracle dieting drug" that she bought via an Instagram account (interview cuts to video footage from said Instagram account where some absolute freaky monster with an incredible amount of plastic surgery - including what seems to be buttock implants - badly 'demonstrates' how you're supposed to administer some really hooky looking unbranded vials of liquid) that subsequently made her really ill. :D It's dressed up like a really really low rent version of Watchdog. I mean what next? Don't drill your eyeballs?

These are the same people that have spent three years being adamant that covid vaccine testing was bodged because "my opinion (that I might have got from Facebook ) is valid", they're sick "of science" and is definitely part of some global conspiracy.

So yes, an IQ test to weed out the morons. I'm not bothered if that means less chance of "my favoured party" being elected. But fwiw, Brexit wouldn't have happened, so there.
Darwinism isn't it.I saw that news item earlier,not the best advert for products of the British education system.
I also think that voters should have to pass some kind of exam before being allowed to vote.
irie

Post by irie »

Lutin wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:11 pm Hmm, looks like the tory party is about ti implode -
Tory reaction getting angrier

There's more reaction from Conservative MPs coming in and it’s getting angrier and angrier.

Leaving a meeting of right-wingers convened to discuss the ruling, Lee Anderson, the MP for Ashfield, said that the government should "put planes in the air" to Rwanda anyway – ignoring the Supreme Court.

Anderson is not just a provocative backbencher – he is also a deputy chairman of the Conservative Party. Expect Rishi Sunak to come under pressure in the coming hours to disown those comments.
Early election anyone?
Don't think so.

Rather than repealing the 1988 Act wholesale, more likely an Act to explicitly exempt Rwanda from the 1988 Act. Pure guess of course.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Taipan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:28 pm Lol, IQ test for voting! Nothing should be ever further away from happening. Just imagine how that would work out for the working classes and the disadvantaged! :wtf: You elitist bastards!! :D
But half of those disadvantaged working class f#ckwits voted for the Torys! :shock:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Meanwhile in other news,a plane was forced to return to JFK International airport after a horse got out of its crate & was loose in the hold :shock:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67406779
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:05 pm Meanwhile in other news,a plane was forced to return to JFK International airport after a horse got out of its crate & was loose in the hold :shock:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67406779
Wow. 20 tons of fuel. About 25,000 litres. Quite a pretty penny.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:32 pm
It's frankly incredible, in fact it's astounding, that working people do not want to vote for a party that is supposed to be for working people.
Allowing extremists to run the Labour Party might have finished it forever.
I suspect that having a 'Sir' at the head of the working class party takes that bit away for many actual working class people.

But also, as someone sort of said above, how do you persuade working class people that actually voted for the Tories that the upper class bloke in the other party is better for them?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The Horse, not pictured here, escaped as the plane cruised at 30,000ft (file photo)
They worried the horse is gonna sue?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

This latest incident was not the first time an animal escaped its cargo stall while onboard an airplane.

In August, a bear freed itself from its crate on an Iraqi Airways flight headed from Dubai to Baghdad, the Associated Press reported.

^^^ ^^^
TBH this part of the article could do with pictures :shock:
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:15 pm... So as the extremists are on the run and well away from any positions of power how can they be a threat? The Labour Party is a very different animal to what it was in the Corbyn years.
That's what Labour would have us believe. The nut jobs are sitting quietly in the NEC and other murky corners waiting for Labour to get elected.

People such as Rebecca Long-Bailey, contributing author of the 2019 Labour manifesto, have gone very quiet. For now.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno