In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
JackyJoll

Re: In todays news...

Post by JackyJoll »

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

JackyJoll wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:44 pm There is a letter though!

https://x.com/suellabraverman/status/17 ... dVNm_bW6BQ
Looks like she decided to get her retaliation in first while it was still 'news'. I'm sure she was spitting feathers at the news that DC would be back in Cabinet - it completely pushed her sacking/resignation off the front pages, which is why she decided to publish early. There are some pretty incendiary statements contained in that letter, and the overall tone of it looks like the starting gun being fired for a leadership coup.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:15 pm

Looks like she decided to get her retaliation in first while it was still 'news'. I'm sure she was spitting feathers at the news that DC would be back in Cabinet - it completely pushed her sacking/resignation off the front pages, which is why she decided to publish early. There are some pretty incendiary statements contained in that letter, and the overall tone of it looks like the starting gun being fired for a leadership coup.
I'm so pleased to see this phrase being used as I know it!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
irie

Post by irie »

Sorry about that, wrong link. My bad.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:15 pm

She really thinks that she is going to be the next candidate to be Tory PM. Politics is littered with the relics of people that convinced themselves that the electorate would clutch them to their bosom. Kinnock, Corbyn, Howard etc but the last PM that broke the mould really was Disraeli in way back when. The old folk as a national group, rather than the limited number that chose Sunak, like their politicians to be of a certain stamp. One thing the old folk have is numbers and they go out and vote. Braverman is history. (I'm sure If I'm wrong someone will be around to remind me in the distant future, but as I said on another platform about Corbyn, she has as much chance of ever being PM as I do).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Reading between the lines, I'm gonna throw it out there and suggest that maybe she's not happy....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

If I could be arsed I'd go through that letter and try and pick the bones out of it. There is so much delusion, spite, anger and settling of scores that commentators will have a field day pulling it apart. One thing I would say is that it's the Dunning-Kruger effect writ large. She displays an astonishing lack of self-knowledge and self-awareness.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:50 pmShe really thinks that she is going to be the next candidate to be Tory PM.
The thing is that the tories have lowered the standard of who can aim to be pm so low that almost anyone thinks that they've got a chance.

There's no need for me to list the incompetents that have taken up residence at No 10 recently, now it there?
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:06 pm If I could be arsed I'd go through that letter and try and pick the bones out of it. There is so much delusion, spite, anger and settling of scores that commentators will have a field day pulling it apart. One thing I would say is that it's the Dunning-Kruger effect writ large. She displays an astonishing lack of self-knowledge and self-awareness.
Born to be a professional politician then? :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

You can agree/disagree, support/oppose, or even be apathetic to the issues raised by Braverman in her resignation letter and other media, but it's clear that the UK is at societal crossroad described by Karl Popper in "The Open Society and Its Enemies":
Popper contends that a society that tolerates intolerant ideas will succumb to the forces of the intolerant, which are inherently dangerous. Thus, the notion of a completely tolerant society is destroyed. Society should first combat intolerance with rational argument and civil public discourse, but if all else fails, Popper suggests that the tolerant reserve the right to suppress intolerant opinions.

"We should claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant. We should claim that any movement preaching intolerance places itself outside the law, and we should consider incitement to intolerance and persecution as criminal.”
A link here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_tolerance
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I wish they'd inform my local diesel station and asda about the inflation drop. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Ignoring the crap maths in the story, these stats show there's about 10,000 bikes on our little island :)

I hear them all on their Sunday rides :D

https://gazettelife.com/news/more-cars- ... than-ever/
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Rwanda policy unlawful - Supreme Court rules Rwanda asylum policy unlawful
The UK's highest court has ruled the Rwanda asylum policy is unlawful.

The government had said its plan to deport asylum seekers to east Africa and ban them from returning was needed to deter illegal small boat crossings.

But the Supreme Court ruled it is possible the Rwandan government would send refugees back to the country they had fled in the first place.

It said the policy breaches human rights laws by potentially leaving the people sent there open to that risk.

So, how long has Richy got now then? Surely this is going to trigger an implosion of the tory party?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The Tories seem to be doing everything in their power to make themselves unelectable. Another change of leadership would surely finish them. Having said that, what would be the odds of Dodgy Dave throwing his hat in the ring?
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:52 am The Tories seem to be doing everything in their power to make themselves unelectable. Another change of leadership would surely finish them. Having said that, what would be the odds of Dodgy Dave throwing his hat in the ring?
The Leader of the Conservatives must be a sitting MP so that rules Dave out for now of course they could change their rules.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

The tories and, it seems, an awful lot of others appear to be missing the point about "stopping the boats". How the practice of punishing the victims of the people smugglers is supposed to stop the people smugglers has never been explained.

Unless the criminal gangs organising the channel crossings are stopped then the situation will continue. Is this not bleeding obvious?
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

And another thing - how many of the regimes that these migrants are fleeing have had weapons supplied by the UK?

Seems someone (the UK government?) is quite happy to make money out of selling arms and ammunition but who are then not prepared for the consequences.

Yes, I am probably over simplifying things a bit but these questions have to be asked.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Lutin wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:19 am The tories and, it seems, an awful lot of others appear to be missing the point about "stopping the boats". How the practice of punishing the victims of the people smugglers is supposed to stop the people smugglers has never been explained.

Unless the criminal gangs organising the channel crossings are stopped then the situation will continue. Is this not bleeding obvious?

You're right of course but there are a couple of problems right away if you want to stop the criminal gangs that are organising the channel crossings.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-67312798
BBC wrote:Adam Johnson: Man arrested over ice hockey player's death bailed
About time, they will arrest half a village for cutting down a non-native tree but didn't bother when a hockey player with previous history of this dangerous move kills another player. Chatter from Yanks who understand the game a bit more than me say he makes that 'accidental' move a lot more than anyone else.

Maybe there weren't enough social media complaints to bother.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Hmm, looks like the tory party is about ti implode -
Tory reaction getting angrier

There's more reaction from Conservative MPs coming in and it’s getting angrier and angrier.

Leaving a meeting of right-wingers convened to discuss the ruling, Lee Anderson, the MP for Ashfield, said that the government should "put planes in the air" to Rwanda anyway – ignoring the Supreme Court.

Anderson is not just a provocative backbencher – he is also a deputy chairman of the Conservative Party. Expect Rishi Sunak to come under pressure in the coming hours to disown those comments.
Early election anyone?