Battery Question

Anything you like about motorbikes
Ian

Re: Battery Question

Post by Ian »

Exactly what Dern said ^^^^.
Multi meter in series with the battery (with everything off - if you try to switch it on, or heaven forbid start the bike you'll fry the meter).
( If you are using an old school meter try a quick dab and if the meter wraps around the end stop, pull it off sharpish :) )
If you can see some current drain, try removing fuses to see what is pulling current.

If *all* the fuses are out and its still pulling current it could be the regulator - on mine the epoxy was bulging so it was a dead giveaway once i'd unbolted it from the frame.
Ian

Post by Ian »

It'll be his heated haemarroid cushion ;)
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

If you are doing the multimeter thing remember to plug the red lead back into the voltage port afterwards, trying to measure V with the lead still in the A port can be a bit explosive. A colleague has some gory pictures from the late 90's when they forgot and tried to measure 750V DC with the meter lead still in the Amps port. The multimeter exploded out of his hand and set fire to his colleagues side!
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

You haven't installed a USB socket of any description?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:37 pm If you are doing the multimeter thing remember to plug the red lead back into the voltage port afterwards, trying to measure V with the lead still in the A port can be a bit explosive. A colleague has some gory pictures from the late 90's when they forgot and tried to measure 750V DC with the meter lead still in the Amps port. The multimeter exploded out of his hand and set fire to his colleagues side!
That made no sense. I'll try again later ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:38 pm You haven't installed a USB socket of any description?
Nah. But I do have a fixed connector from battery to plug into the trickle charger. That accepts a USB port.

Can you tell I know fark all about electrickery? :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yorick wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:08 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:37 pm If you are doing the multimeter thing remember to plug the red lead back into the voltage port afterwards, trying to measure V with the lead still in the A port can be a bit explosive. A colleague has some gory pictures from the late 90's when they forgot and tried to measure 750V DC with the meter lead still in the Amps port. The multimeter exploded out of his hand and set fire to his colleagues side!
That made no sense. I'll try again later ;)
Dont worry, you'll understand if smoke comes out ;)

On some older mechanical meters, Avo etc. you move the red cable into a separate A (for amps) socket to measure current
Newer DVMs you usually just dial it in on a big knob

Is there a fire station near by?
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Yorick wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:11 pm
v8-powered wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:38 pm You haven't installed a USB socket of any description?
Nah. But I do have a fixed connector from battery to plug into the trickle charger. That accepts a USB port.

Can you tell I know fark all about electrickery? :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Hhhmm, not understanding fully what you have I'd suggest disconnecting and monitoring over a week or so.
If your connector has a USB port it will contain some electrickery that converts bike power (12v) down to 5v and in doing so actually uses power. I had similar on a bike and over a week or so it drained the battery enough to give a slow or non-start, removed and never had a problem again.
roadster

Post by roadster »

A usb adapter with a switch is vital on a bike. Even a small residual current when nothing is plugged in will drain a bike battery. Alternatively wire the adapter to a source which is not live unless the ignition is on.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Disconnect the battery completely - then reconnect it in two weeks to see if it starts the bike.

A lot of no-name replacements are rubbish quality - a R*b H*nter failed in ten months. That was on the Hornet when the ten year old OE died when I was away from home.

I stick to Yuasa - my OE Yuasa on my 2009 XJ is still the original. It's just showing the first signs of age. It wouldn't restart the bike after the MOT the other month but has been fine since.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I left it 2 weeks and voltage has dropped 0.2 volts.
Not too bad. I'll keep an eye on it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The long trip to Portimao seems to have done it good. Been stood a week and now showing 12.7v

I can stop worrying now :)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yorick wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:01 pm The long trip to Portimao seems to have done it good. Been stood a week and now showing 12.7v

I'm only 30 mins from Portimao, given me ideas about holiday Motogp/WSB visit :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:26 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:01 pm The long trip to Portimao seems to have done it good. Been stood a week and now showing 12.7v

I'm only 30 mins from Portimao, given me ideas about holiday Motogp/WSB visit :D
Take a trip up to the circuit. They should let you in for a nosey.
KneeToTheConcrete

Post by KneeToTheConcrete »

I'd be a bit concerned about the lower amp rating for a 5-hour ride. Maybe consider taking it back to the shop and discussing your worries with them.