What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:26 pm
Confirmed tea drinker here. Never got the coffee buzz, despite trying various types. Dont mind a Carajillo (black coffee and brandy) after a meal, but mostly i'll decline the offer of a coffee. Soemtimes wish I did like it as so many seem to get so much out of them?
That was me. The only reason I tried coffee was to have another drink to order when out!

Then I tried the coffee at my mates shop and quite liked it (with too much sugar and loads of water added!) and her coffee guy came to an open day once and had various coffees with him. I had quite a good chat with him about various types and he sorted out one for me that was less bitter and more gentle than others. Still had extra water and loads of sugar, but I've been reducing both for a while.

Downside up here is that everyone sells strong bitter coffee and prefers to serve it as a shot! LOL But, at the restaurant I go to in the interseason, I've got down to an allonge with just a top up of hot water in the cup rather than a pot of hot water on the side to add. So, given my non sugar at home this weekend, it'll be interesting to try his coffee with less/no sugar!

As with tea, I won't drink coffee after lunchtime. All the decaff versions I've tried are jsut so so bitter :( At least decaf tea still tasted like tea! LOL

Not sure I get a buzz as such, but it's nice to be a cheapskate and drink the cheap coffee when out rather than hot choc or expensive and rubbish tea!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got the last cut of the lawns this year. Super impressed with my 36v Makita lawnmower. Cut the wet grass like it was dry! :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Fixed the washer, then made this!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1699793293744.jpg
FB_IMG_1699793293744.jpg (115.15 KiB) Viewed 347 times
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Home from leading a Remembrance Sunday service. Very humbling and deeply moving. Tonight is my last service at this church, preaching at the Memorial Service and it will be quiet and reflective.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Laid a wreath on behalf of my MV choir in our local village. Deluge at the wrong time meant that it was all held in the church instead of at the war memorial in the village square, which was a pity. Still a very important occasion, as it is in thousands of villages around the country. One of our most precious traditions.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

4 hour enduro. Fark, it was hard, and hot.

Hour nap, now contemplating sorting the trailer out.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

FFS, the boy went out again. Another bike clean needed
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Took the front end out as it needs new fork seals.
Easy way to lift up the front of the bike :obscene-birdiedoublered:
20231112_172626.jpg
20231112_172626.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 298 times
20231112_172617.jpg
20231112_172617.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 298 times
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've just spent almost 2 hours talking with a friend about physical recovery. Well, messaging, takes him longer to type than me as he's only got one arm/hand working at the mo.

This is an old biker mates son that had the accident back in September.

Damn it's tough to try and help from a distance, to explain how amazing and important PMA is but also explain that I have full understanding of how difficult it is. That depression is normal, frustration and anger the same. But that learning patience and being positive, even when that's the last thing you feel, are so important.

To read him write that he's thought of suicide is the scariest thing I've read, probably almost ever. Not because reading that other friends feel like that isn't scary, but that his sister killed herself a few years ago and I so love his Dad to bits that I can't imagine what that would do to him - to almost lose his boy in a bike accident (his mother will be saying that's my friends fault for getting his son into his sport :roll:) is one thing, but I so hope J doesn't go that route

The big positive is that he wants to chat again tomorrow, so I'm hoping I've helped a bit.

But damn it's emotional. So, sorry guys, but I'll probably be unloading about it on here a bit - there's no one up here I can talk to about it. So, you guys get to read my 'downloads' - sorry!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:49 pm Fixed the washer, then made this!
Not sure if you mean a door, a curtain or the catflap.

If it's the latter - you'll never get through that!!!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Noggin wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:50 pm

It's a lipped soffit, drilled so the lip engages with the locking mech on the door and then the cat flap fitted.

Means I can close the door to the conservatory and the cats can still get in... Because there's a cat flap in the french doors to let them outside.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:58 pm

It's a lipped soffit, drilled so the lip engages with the locking mech on the door and then the cat flap fitted.

Means I can close the door to the conservatory and the cats can still get in... Because there's a cat flap in the french doors to let them outside.
Very sensible!! I always maintained it was better to put a catflap in internal doors than have to keep getting up to open the door whilst the cat tried to decide if it still wants in or not!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Noggin wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:01 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:58 pm

Very sensible!! I always maintained it was better to put a catflap in internal doors than have to keep getting up to open the door whilst the cat tried to decide if it still wants in or not!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A friend's parent had this. Not actually a cat flap, just a suitable sized hole in the manner of a cartoon mouse hole in each door.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Easier not to have a cat. ;)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:31 pm Took the front end out as it needs new fork seals.
Easy way to lift up the front of the bike :obscene-birdiedoublered:

20231112_172626.jpg20231112_172617.jpg
You're a braver man than me, Gunga Din. I'm sure you're cool with that arrangement but to me it looks like the winning entry in a 'what could possibly go wrong?' competition... :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:51 am Easier not to have a cat. ;)
Go wash your mouth out!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Popped down to the vicarage and relocated my single malt collection... and wine too.

Took down the antique spinning wheel for the wife as well and now I need to pack up the PC and monitor. Just as well I have a laptop I can use for the time being. Need to get Monitor off the wall as I have it on a bracket that makes it easier to adjust and does not move when desk is used.

Going to jetwash the drive as well as there too much gunk and slimy leaves on it, a risk hazard for the movers on Wednesday, so I want to get this safe for them to walk on.

Had a quick sandwich, packing my antique clock and mirror and taking that down as well, as well as all my crosses and icons! I have a nice collection of them :-) :1 :1 :1
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

the_priest wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:32 pm Popped down to the vicarage and relocated my single malt collection... and wine too.
Do you have a standard communion wine? Or do you pick a nice one?
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Slept after a night shift, badly as Staffie No.4 decided that he wanted attention, then got up and walked through a wee Staffie No.1 had done on the kitchen floor (he's 15 and on diuretics as he has a heart condition). I'm now up and will take the dogs for a walk through the Sussex marshes after last nights deluge.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Went to a physio session as my right big toe has been getting more painful, with less movement, for well over a year now. GP at my last health check reckoned arthritis, but advised me to go physio.

Physio seemed to concur, asked me all the usual questions then proceeded to stretch the calf and bottom of the foot. Painful? Not half. :wtf:

Seemed to have given the toe a bit more movement, which is good. In his words, we can't fix the arthritis, but we can improve mobility of the joint which should make it less painful. :thumbup:

We started talking knees. Says he can have a look at them next session as I'm pre-approved for 20, so plenty of time to give them the once over.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!