Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: Debanking

Post by Potter »

It's hard to know who to believe, but in this instance Coutts have shown that they can't be trusted, so I'd be inclined to believe the politician over the bankers.

Still, I've really enjoyed the left-wingers scratching around desperately to defend a high end bank, just so they can have a go at Farage :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mussels wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:43 pm
BBC wrote:Coutts said it did not comment on individuals' accounts.
Any more.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Well, some good news...

Ex-NatWest boss Alison Rose loses out on £7.6m after Nigel Farage row

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67377140
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:00 pm Well, some good news...

What, so now we're punishing people for not doing their jobs properly too?! Whatever next.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:03 pm

What, so now we're punishing people for not doing their jobs properly too?! Whatever next.
It is even worse than that, she is not getting her bonus after she broke the rules. If you don't deserve a bonus for ignoring the rules the financial industry will collapse.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I'm still waiting for the company to be punished.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Astonishing that she wasn't found guilty of misconduct, which would have cost her a further £2.4M . Did she not flagrantly breech the privacy/dat protection rules ?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Treadeager wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:04 pm Astonishing that she wasn't found guilty of misconduct, which would have cost her a further £2.4M . Did she not flagrantly breech the privacy/dat protection rules ?
Yes, but the old boy network works for girls too at that level. Having CEO's held to account, that will never do.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:21 pm

That's an interesting one. What is 'the company'? The execs at any particular time? The other staff, the shareholders, the customers etc. I've worked for companies that, when I left, weren't anything like when I joined (not me guv! :lol: ). How do you punish something that is a sort of 'thing', you can't put a company in jail or send it to the gallows. I assume you mean some people should be punished? If so, who?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:36 pm

That's an interesting one. What is 'the company'? The execs at any particular time? The other staff, the shareholders, the customers etc. I've worked for companies that, when I left, weren't anything like when I joined (not me guv! :lol: ). How do you punish something that is a sort of 'thing', you can't put a company in jail or send it to the gallows. I assume you mean some people should be punished? If so, who?
As I am sure you know, companies are legal 'people', and they can be fined. Jailing them is difficult, but a big enough fine usually gets the message through. For a company the size of NatWest it needs to be many 00s of £Ms, which will help the Treasury a bit too.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:42 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:36 pm
As I am sure you know, companies are legal 'people', and they can be fined. Jailing them is difficult, but a big enough fine usually gets the message through. For a company the size of NatWest it needs to be many 00s of £Ms, which will help the Treasury a bit too.
But if that fine payment comes out of the company coffers aren't you just punishing the shareholders and customers? It's like regulators fining utility companies rather than the execs (I'll park water companies on this one) - in the end it's the shareholder and customer that suffer. Anyway, so you think they should fine all the execs because the head honcho went rogue?
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

In an ideal world I would hit the Directors in the pocket and spare the rest They (directors) appoint the CEO, and should hold him/her to account. Unfortunately i am not sure the law allows this.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:56 pm In an ideal world I would hit the Directors in the pocket and spare the rest They (directors) appoint the CEO, and should hold him/her to account. Unfortunately i am not sure the law allows this.
Ah, OK. So 'the company' is the board. When a company is fined ie water companies for polluting rivers etc or other utilities failing supply requirements, the fine should come directly from the boards pockets? I'd quite like to agree with that.

So, when the EU fines Apple for a few billion, the directors should pay the fine?
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:53 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:56 pm In an ideal world I would hit the Directors in the pocket and spare the rest They (directors) appoint the CEO, and should hold him/her to account. Unfortunately i am not sure the law allows this.
Ah, OK. So 'the company' is the board. When a company is fined ie water companies for polluting rivers etc or other utilities failing supply requirements, the fine should come directly from the boards pockets? I'd quite like to agree with that.

So, when the EU fines Apple for a few billion, the directors should pay the fine?
Yes, as directors they appoint the CEO, set the company strategy, and hold the CEO to account in following that strategy.

At least, that is what I do as a company director. If I just abdicate and let the CEO lead the company into stupid risks I should get penalised. Seems fair to me. Alternatively if I set a foolish strategy that put the company in that position, again I should take the hit.

Obviously the EU is unlikely to collect all its billions, but the principle seems right to me.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Shareholders gotta take the rough with the smooth IMO (saying that as a shareholder in many companies!).

I didn't do anything at all to earn those dividends. Zip. Nada. People seem to forget when you buy a share (not including the IPO) precisely zero pounds of what you paid for the share goes to the company*.

So I expect dividends for doing the square root of FA. I should expect to stomach the cost of fines too.

Utilities are a different matter. IMO they shouldn't be private companies with share holders (or indeed, profit) at all.

*unless you actually bought it off the company, yes it gets complicated :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:15 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:53 pm

Yes, as directors they appoint the CEO, set the company strategy, and hold the CEO to account in following that strategy.

At least, that is what I do as a company director. If I just abdicate and let the CEO lead the company into stupid risks I should get penalised. Seems fair to me. Alternatively if I set a foolish strategy that put the company in that position, again I should take the hit.

Obviously the EU is unlikely to collect all its billions, but the principle seems right to me.
So, anyone that appoints someone is responsible for everything the appointee does, be it boards and CEOs or anyone that appoints an underling. I have to admit I flinch a bit when the hounds of social media call for, and often get, the heads ie the MD/CEO when some grunt 7 layers below cocks up, because it happened 'on their watch'.

I'm not sure I'd agree to be reduced to penury if I was the dissenting voice on the board when a CEO was selected but I still got hit with a fine when they chummied up with a reporter.
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Goes with the territory. If you were that dissenting, ie you really thought the CEO was a diasaster waitimg to happen, you would resign and walk away
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:48 pm Goes with the territory. If you were that dissenting, ie you really thought the CEO was a diasaster waitimg to happen, you would resign and walk away
Sooooo....your answer to a democratic vote that doesn't go in your favour is to leave, right?.......
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Not quite. Lots of decisions I could (and do) live with, but an out-of-control CEO would make me want to put distance between me and the train crash.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Shareholders* have power over how the company is run so if the management break the law it's right for the company to be fined, some incentive for shareholders to keep management in check.

* Some more than others.