GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Supermofo

Re: GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Post by Supermofo »

Nice 115 miles this morning, for October the weather is perfect. Headed Maldon way, then Tiptree, Halstead, Hedingham, Finchingfield, Thaxted, Takeley to home. Bike is soo good. Must admit I wasn't feeling particularly sharp but the bike takes everything and let's you get on with how you're feeling. Followed a V85TT around Heybridge, looked really good, I've got a big soft spot for them.

Loads and loads of bikes out. Stopped at a random cafe near Kelvedon and was about 15 bikes in the car park, turned to be a bike club. Then saw big gaggles of 20 bikes at a time.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Supermofo wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:14 pm Loads and loads of bikes out.
More bikes than cars on the roads I was on this afternoon! :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I came home from Mersea Island on Sunday morning and I've never seen so many bikes on those roads! There were notably a lot of KTMs and Ducatis and enough of them about to make me wonder if it was an organised group ride out!
mboy

Post by mboy »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:10 am Yes it is pretty long travel. TBH though it's fairly rare I give it max beans for the reasons you note, it's ballistically fast so more a once/twice a ride type thing. Most of the time I'm using the midrange which is just glorious and broad. One thing I've noted and it more prevalent in colder weather is that in lower gears/higher revs the throttle is a bit on/off at times. Sometimes it's fine, others it gives a lurch mid corner but I wondered if a QA throttle might make that worse without re-mapping.
My thoughts exactly, and also why I haven't fitted a shorter throw throttle yet.

Having read into it, it's the low rpm mapping, where between 2500rpm and about 6k (I'm pretty sure this was more like 8k on early GSXS1000's) it is in a closed loop, and when you shut the throttle off it totally shuts the fuel off after 1.5secs I believe, meaning that if you then apply the throttle after the 1.5sec gap, the jerkiness is caused by the engine suddenly receiving some juice again... Were it not mapped in such a lean manner, and the injectors were still introducing a tiny dribble of fuel when on a closed throttle, then it wouldn't be so jerky I believe.

I have modified my riding style to suit the bike a little already though... I try to keep the bike under 2500rpm now in town, pretty easy as the engine is so tractable and will pull 6th from 20mph (about 1500rpm). On more open flowing roads, i'll actively blip the throttle on downshifts and also even trail the throttle very slightly into corners now too, minimising the opportunity of that 1.5sec gap to keep any tiny amount of fuel going into the cylinders even whilst slowing down. Above 6k and it's an open loop setup, the lambda sensor will be measuring how lean/rich the engine is running and tell the injectors to stay open an amount of time anyway even if the throttle is fully closed.

I did find a youtube vid that explained it well a while ago, can't find it now. Will share it if I find it again...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:10 am Yes it is pretty long travel. TBH though it's fairly rare I give it max beans for the reasons you note, it's ballistically fast so more a once/twice a ride type thing. Most of the time I'm using the midrange which is just glorious and broad. One thing I've noted and it more prevalent in colder weather is that in lower gears/higher revs the throttle is a bit on/off at times. Sometimes it's fine, others it gives a lurch mid corner but I wondered if a QA throttle might make that worse without re-mapping.
I have that 'lag' on mine. It's annoying getting on power exiting a bend.
New plugs cure it. But also fuel has an effect.
I always used Repsol here as assumed it was good :(

One day tried BP and wowsers. No more lag. Not once in 3 days on track this week. Lots of BP fuel stations in Portimao.

Try different fuels.
mboy

Post by mboy »

Yorick wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:03 pm Try different fuels.
Not really the issue in the UK that it possibly is in most other countries. I know for a fact that when it comes to E10 (regular 95RON unleaded) that most of the forecourts are on a share agreement. That is to say the fuel tanker that pulls up at a BP garage might not necessarily say BP on the side of it, and they all work to a common formula.

E5's (97RON and up) is more brand specific though...

Mine's also just had brand new plugs too...

It's the engine getting ZERO fuel for a period of time, and then getting some again, that causes the specific problem that mofo and I are referencing... I'll dig the video out that explained it by one of the better known ECU tuners.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

My 750 had the throttle lag thing, I learnt to ride round it, I don't think my Honda has it, but it could be that I'm still riding round it.
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

mboy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:16 pm It's the engine getting ZERO fuel for a period of time, and then getting some again, that causes the specific problem that mofo and I are referencing... I'll dig the video out that explained it by one of the better known ECU tuners.
Yeah,it's the fuel cut eco bollox. I had mine deleted when it was flashed. It made a world of difference from a closed throttle to rolling on.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I assumed it was fuel cut so unlikely I'd change it without a re-map. TBH it barely bothers me much so think I'm just riding around it most of the time. Fuel wise I pretty much only ever use super unleaded so probably as good as that's going to get. Currently on the Esso only diet so I have no ethanol in the tank over winter.

@mboy - I seem to recall the early ones are worse from reviews I've watched/read and comments on forums. I think they improved it on later ones around 2018 I think.

You never know in years to come if I want to spend some money I might flash it but not sure I'm arsed now. I'm getting typically 50mpg most rides and 99% of the time no throttle issues so yeah not a big deal. Suspension upgrade will come first. And maybe some different front pads. But they are all minor issues for me at the moment. I'm still overwhelmingly happy with the bike.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Having had a bike remapped I can say its not just about the annoying on/off throttle. It fattens up the whole throttle action in great way. On a bike that undoubtedly doesn't need any more midrange, you'll find yourself enjoying the improved throttle response and added bottom grunt for sure! I was blown away by the difference on my F800R and my AT has a Rapid Evo system on and i have none of the throttle issues other AT owners mention.Skub's bike had buckets of power but i bet he loves his remap too!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:42 am Having had a bike remapped I can say its not just about the annoying on/off throttle. It fattens up the whole throttle action in great way. On a bike that undoubtedly doesn't need any more midrange, you'll find yourself enjoying the improved throttle response and added bottom grunt for sure! I was blown away by the difference on my F800R and my AT has a Rapid Evo system on and i have none of the throttle issues other AT owners mention.Skub's bike had buckets of power but i bet he loves his remap too!
One of the best mods ever. I didn't give a toss about outright dyno figures,I just wanted sweet throttle response with no dead spots induced by Euro 5 compliance. The bike runs like it has a bank of well set up carburettors.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

So had a chance to ride last week but wanted to take the kids out and then it rained :angry-cussingblack:

This weekend is looking dry but cold. So fingers crossed they don't salt (Which means they will). If not I'm getting out, hopefully Sat and possibly Sun. Dropping the kids off with my folks Sat morning as they want to have a sleep over so by the time I get back it might be in double digits (Please).

Then it'll finally get a wash and put away. If they salt I'll just wash it and give up. The bikes still covered in flies from my last ride and they'll start going mouldy if I leave it much longer :sick: I've got previous for doing that. Did consider using that bloke Taipan used who washed and ACF'd his bike if they come this far west but wonder if it's worth it for a bike sitting in the garage. Although my garage is fairly damp :thumbdown:

Got an email about Scorpion exhaust sale from SBS. Still not sure I want a can though, just missing riding already. Probably better off saving for a fancy shock.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/242481

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got a Scorp on my CBR. One of the better made cans, but they've lost of their original quality over the years.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Can anyone else remember when Akrapovic used to be called Skorpion?

Not Scorpion, who are completely unrelated :)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:27 pm Can anyone else remember when Akrapovic used to be called Skorpion?

Yup
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:27 pm Can anyone else remember when Akrapovic used to be called Skorpion?

Wasn't Akropovic formed by 2 pals who were ex racers ? or summat ;)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yes, they changed name because of Scorpion exhausts, who called themselves Scorpion hoping people would think they're Skorpion.
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Well that's game over then :roll:

https://x.com/Herts_Highways/status/172 ... 57551?s=20

Looks like I'll be washing it and tucking it up for winter. Bollocks.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:39 pm Well that's game over then :roll:

Wassat?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yorick wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:12 pm
Supermofo wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:39 pm Well that's game over then :roll:

Wassat?
It's the time of year I wrap up in a blanket, put xhamster on the TV, drink lots of cider and wait till Spring.