In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: In todays news...

Post by Potter »

If you hit someone on the head with malice aforethought and they subsequently die, then it could be murder.
I'm simplifying it greatly but the question they ask is whether it is foreseeable.

I think it's quite foreseeable that if you hit a very old man on the head with a lump of something heavy, then he may die.
Even if it's very tempting to do it because he's being provocative, you might still be found at fault.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I have a heart condition. If you hit me, it's murder.
Horse

Post by Horse »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:06 pm Looks like the "Unseen" University now has competition.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-66981924
Pair well with this:
https://sites.gold.ac.uk/psychology/202 ... -of-magic/
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

The American media may be pro one side. Meanwhile in Dagestan there's some aggressive Jew-getting going on.

As Phil Colins taught us so wisely, there's always two sides to a story. Also you can't hurry love but that's less relevant in this instance.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Can Jewish people dance, or just walk?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

cheb wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:43 pm I have a heart condition. If you hit me, it's murder.
I’ve got glasses on, so same thing.
westers151

Post by westers151 »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:34 am Yesterday there were competing protests at an intersection in the LA area. Pro-Israel on one corner. Pro-Palestine on another. All peaceful, but shouty.

At some point a 76yo bloke from the Jewish group decided to go harass the Muslim group on their corner. It got very shouty & pushy. He ended up getting beaned on head with a megaphone & fell over. Hit his head on the kerb & suffered a fractured skull/brain bleed & carked it at the hospital.

Medical examiner declared his death a homicide, which quite frankly is bullshit. Media are already calling it a murder. He had a minor bruise from the megaphone
Don't you lot in the USA use the term homicide and murder to describe any kind of death caused by another person? Whereas we use Manslaughter to reflect the fact that the defendant didn't deliberately set out to kill someone, you use different degrees of murder to reflect the same thing?

In the UK I'd say it's fair to refer to this situation as manslaughter - if he hadn't been hit, causing him to fall over and crack his head, he wouldn't have died from the injury. It tends to be tough to get off manslaughter charges, even if you'd been subjected to being whacked by his flag pole.

Dunno what the US is like with regards to the whole mitigating circumstances - would this be argued as the right to defend yourself, and hence allow a chance to get off the charge??
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

westers151 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:44 pm Don't you lot in the USA use the term homicide and murder to describe any kind of death caused by another person? Whereas we use Manslaughter to reflect the fact that the defendant didn't deliberately set out to kill someone, you use different degrees of murder to reflect the same thing?

In the UK I'd say it's fair to refer to this situation as manslaughter - if he hadn't been hit, causing him to fall over and crack his head, he wouldn't have died from the injury. It tends to be tough to get off manslaughter charges, even if you'd been subjected to being whacked by his flag pole.

Dunno what the US is like with regards to the whole mitigating circumstances - would this be argued as the right to defend yourself, and hence allow a chance to get off the charge??
First-degree murder is the most severe homicide crime and is always premeditated and carried out with intent. Second-degree murder is carried out with intent but with no premeditation. Third-degree murder is the lowest criminal homicide with no intent to kill and no premeditation.
Manslaughter is the unlawful killing of another person without premeditation or so-called "malice aforethought" (an evil intent prior to the killing).

& remember... you can't have manslaughter without laughter.. ;)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

There was a definite change in the media narrative on the 11pm news last night after the cops gave a presser where they mentioned contradictory eye witness accounts & having to go through *hours* of video. The media had only been showing one video that was filmed from behind the Shell sign on the corner so all you could see was two flags sticking up on the other side of it. The people with video from where the incident took place were all part of the Palestinian group
The bloke with the megaphone is some old duffer who is fully cooperating & was the one who called 911 for an ambulance. He hasn't been arrested.
westers151

Post by westers151 »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:07 pm
westers151 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:44 pm Don't you lot in the USA use the term homicide and murder to describe any kind of death caused by another person? Whereas we use Manslaughter to reflect the fact that the defendant didn't deliberately set out to kill someone, you use different degrees of murder to reflect the same thing?

First-degree murder is the most severe homicide crime and is always premeditated and carried out with intent. Second-degree murder is carried out with intent but with no premeditation. Third-degree murder is the lowest criminal homicide with no intent to kill and no premeditation.
Manslaughter is the unlawful killing of another person without premeditation or so-called "malice aforethought" (an evil intent prior to the killing).

& remember... you can't have manslaughter without laughter.. ;)
So manslaughter in the US can have intent, as long as you're thinking happy thoughts? :D
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:19 pm There was a definite change in the media narrative on the 11pm news last night after the cops gave a presser where they mentioned contradictory eye witness accounts & having to go through *hours* of video. The media had only been showing one video that was filmed from behind the Shell sign on the corner so all you could see was two flags sticking up on the other side of it.
The video from the grassy knoll gives a different perspective.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:47 pm The video from the grassy knoll gives a different perspective.
There's gonna be a lot of media heads eating crow over this... especially on the one news outlet that is still talking about beheaded babies.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Can I ask a question without the usual ensuing ming mong ping ping-pong

These pro Palestine demos. What do they hope to achieve?

The war is thousands of miles away. Will some marching folk really change the war?

Keep it sane.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:39 pm Can I ask a question without the usual ensuing ming mong ping ping-pong

The war is thousands of miles away. Will some marching folk really change the war?

Keep it sane.
I would imagine they're hoping to end up living in peace & able to come & go as they please... instead of living in the modern version of the Warsaw Ghetto (or worse)

and no, not a damn thing.

but you can't criticize Israel without being called an anti-semite because Americans can't tell the fucking difference. People in the UK don't get accused of being "anti-Prot* because they criticize the UK Govt, just as people who criticize Asian Govt's aren't accused of being anti-Buddhist etc.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:59 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:39 pm Can I ask a question without the usual ensuing ming mong ping ping-pong

Keep it sane.
I would imagine they're hoping to end up living in peace & able to come & go as they please... instead of living in the modern version of the Warsaw Ghetto (or worse)

and no, not a damn thing.

but you can't criticize Israel without being called an anti-semite because Americans can't tell the fucking difference. People in the UK don't get accused of being "anti-Prot* because they criticize the UK Govt, just as people who criticize Asian Govt's aren't accused of being anti-Buddhist etc.
I get that. But will anyone listen so far away?
These protesters live here.

I don't want to discuss the war.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

They might achieve more than the anti-Trump demonstrations in London, I expect it's mostly the same people attending.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Keep it sane.
The Moslem participants want to achieve ranting about Jews, with a sideline in ranting about everyone else who isn’t a Moslem.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

I see good old Tommy Robinson is calling for the statue defenders to come out and clash with the anti war protesters (who just so happen to be quite brown).

SD.JPG
SD.JPG (76.94 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Met police are biased in favour of left wing protests, maybe we need Tommy Robinson to do the police's job for them. He's not so obsessed about social media likes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67364745
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:39 am I see good old Tommy Robinson is calling for the statue defenders to come out and clash with the anti war protesters (who just so happen to be quite brown).

SD.JPG
Him and many, many others! I cant see this ending well. I was directed to TRs video (in the link below) and after he's finished ranting he does call for peaceful, respectful counter protest...

https://talk.tv/news/34703/tommy-robins ... ay-protest