This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
ZRX61

Re: This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Post by ZRX61 »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:16 pm All of that applies to the Uk along with most of the developed world. Is that Biden’s fault as well. The economy will do what it does. The governments can tinker with it but they can’t control it.
The bottom line is that if Biden had sat on his arse in the WH & done absolutely NOTHING at all since he took office, we'd all be better off. Everything he touches turns into a complete shitshow. The only plan he implemented that did any good at all (lower prescription prices) was actually one of Trump's plans & didn't have anywhere near the impact that it did under Trump.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:53 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:49 pm He's also not a dictator. And there's nothing benevolent about Trump, either.
Name another US President who used the Justice Dept to silence his opposition & attempt to remove him from ballots?
Have you actually read Trump's rambling rant about what he will do if he's elected? That's real dictator material, not this pissy little sideshow.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:31 pm Have you actually read Trump's rambling rant about what he will do if he's elected? That's real dictator material, not this pissy little sideshow.
That's a matter for the voters... If they're actually allowed to vote for him
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:51 pm 140 minus 30% is 98...
-2% then.
Some would say that's a good deal (if it's true) for ridding themselves of one of the worst madcap presidencies in living memory. It was certainly an argument used during Brexit - happy to take some future immediate hardship for the "right decision" and supposed long term gain.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:38 am
Some would say that's a good deal (if it's true) for ridding themselves of one of the worst madcap presidencies in living memory. It was certainly an argument used during Brexit - happy to take some future immediate hardship for the "right decision" and supposed long term gain.
The UK sentiment towards Trump is clear, but for those of you that don't stray out of the EU then the rest of the world (whether they liked him or not) saw him as a strong leader, whereas Biden is just a joke to everyone, mention his name and people just laugh, he's literally just a clown figure for anyone I've spoken to east of Germany.

The government only have some influence on the economy, but a strong leader in a country like the USA does have a lot of influence on how people perceive things. E.g. Would Putin have invaded Ukraine if Trump (or Obama) had been sat in the WH?
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:51 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:43 pm promptly saw 30% wiped off their pension funds
Correlation is not causation.
Was it with Truss & Kwarteng?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

That's the root of the problem: money.

Human kind is, and aways will be, driven by the need to gain something or other. And like a fish, the rot begins in the head.

Political leaders are just either more or less rotten than the worst of their kind and we, like those before us, somehow find justification to vote for one POS over another. Democracy...another word that's become meaningless.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ruth Marcus in The Washington Post

Merely winning isn’t enough. “He wants revenge.” The former president and his allies are reportedly planning to use the federal government to “punish” critics and opponents with legal investigations, including the retired army chief Mark Milley.

Trump has been upfront about all this – he considers it “justified tit-for-tat retaliation” for his own legal woes, which he claims are politically motivated. “This is third-world-country stuff, ‘arrest your opponent,’” Trump told New Hampshire voters last month. “And that means I can do that, too.” When he was president, his efforts to “misuse the levers of government” were stymied by officials who refused to cross certain lines. So next time round, he’ll simply hire “more compliant lawyers” – his team are already compiling lists of suitable candidates.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Trump in the US, Putin in Russia. Both dictators, both paranoid, what could possibly go wrong.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:25 pm Ruth Marcus in The Washington Post

Merely winning isn’t enough. “He wants revenge.” The former president and his allies are reportedly planning to use the federal government to “punish” critics and opponents with legal investigations, including the retired army chief Mark Milley.

Trump has been upfront about all this – he considers it “justified tit-for-tat retaliation” for his own legal woes, which he claims are politically motivated. “This is third-world-country stuff, ‘arrest your opponent,’” Trump told New Hampshire voters last month. “And that means I can do that, too.” When he was president, his efforts to “misuse the levers of government” were stymied by officials who refused to cross certain lines. So next time round, he’ll simply hire “more compliant lawyers” – his team are already compiling lists of suitable candidates.
I don't get the sense Trump has had a single interaction in his life which he didn't consider to be a transaction :lol:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:34 pm Trump in the US, Putin in Russia. Both dictators, both paranoid, what could possibly go wrong.
They might not actually cause a war that wipes out humans and I'll have to plod towards my grave for another 30 tedious years.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

You have to ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky? Well do you Punk?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Horse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:25 pm Ruth Marcus in The Washington Post

He has a point, most of these investigations and lawsuits wouldn't have happened if he hadn't become president.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:55 am The UK sentiment towards Trump is clear, but for those of you that don't stray out of the EU then the rest of the world (whether they liked him or not) saw him as a strong leader, whereas Biden is just a joke to everyone, mention his name and people just laugh, he's literally just a clown figure for anyone I've spoken to east of Germany
If criticism of Trump leads you to think that automatically means that I would consider Biden is preferable, "better", able-in-any-way to fulfil the role of President of anything more than the local gardening club, then you've made the wrong assumption. I have no words for why folk East of Germany wouldn't also think Trump is a clown - he could be in an effing circus.

They're both fuckwits - they're both absolutely the wrong sort of person to have in place for the most important job, arguably, in the World. Neither have the right set of abilities to overcome their screamingly obvious disabilities. I disagree fundamentally that Trump is a 'strong' leader - but maybe if that's in comparison to Biden or any of the slow-moving queue of fallible presidents-in-waiting then maybe you're right. But then you might as well compare my dear old 87 year old dad's strength in an arm wrestling content against my dear old 88 year old mum.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:38 am -2% then.
Trump didn't get us involved in a war with Russia... & you can't argue with his accomplishments. I don't give a fuck that he's not a likeable person & posted mean tweets.
Jill Biden should be charged with Elder Abuse..
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:43 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:55 am The UK sentiment towards Trump is clear, but for those of you that don't stray out of the EU then the rest of the world (whether they liked him or not) saw him as a strong leader, whereas Biden is just a joke to everyone, mention his name and people just laugh, he's literally just a clown figure for anyone I've spoken to east of Germany
If criticism of Trump leads you to think that automatically means that I would consider Biden is preferable, "better", able-in-any-way to fulfil the role of President of anything more than the local gardening club, then you've made the wrong assumption. I have no words for why folk East of Germany wouldn't also think Trump is a clown - he could be in an effing circus.

They're both fuckwits - they're both absolutely the wrong sort of person to have in place for the most important job, arguably, in the World. Neither have the right set of abilities to overcome their screamingly obvious disabilities. I disagree fundamentally that Trump is a 'strong' leader - but maybe if that's in comparison to Biden or any of the slow-moving queue of fallible presidents-in-waiting then maybe you're right. But then you might as well compare my dear old 87 year old dad's strength in an arm wrestling content against my dear old 88 year old mum.
Fifty quid says mum.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:01 pm
DefTrap wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:43 pm

Fifty quid says mum.
If it's a 3-way race between Trump, Biden and Deftrap's mum, she's got my hanging chad. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:00 pm you can't argue with his accomplishments.
Yeah I can and I will. Trump was mediocre at best, and I admire your ability to ignore what a massive cock he is when you continue to point out every single little fault with the similarly inept Biden. Quite a lot of rose tinted spectacles going on here. Trump "had to deal with the unprecedented situation" of COVID - like every single world leader in power during covid - which essentially equals a get-out-of-jail-free card when it comes to justifying "accomplishments". Even Boris might have been hailed as a Churchillian man of his time in dealing with COVID, if he could have just resisted the temptation of taking the piss to the next level.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

He boosted Obamacare funding by some tens of billions of dollars, without even meaning too.

Man's a genius.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:32 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:00 pm you can't argue with his accomplishments.
Yeah I can and I will. Trump was mediocre at best, and I admire your ability to ignore what a massive cock he is when you continue to point out every single little fault with the similarly inept Biden. Quite a lot of rose tinted spectacles going on here. Trump "had to deal with the unprecedented situation" of COVID - like every single world leader in power during covid - which essentially equals a get-out-of-jail-free card when it comes to justifying "accomplishments". Even Boris might have been hailed as a Churchillian man of his time in dealing with COVID, if he could have just resisted the temptation of taking the piss to the next level.
Trump inherited a decent enough situation from Obama and didn't mess it up that badly before Covid clouded everything, I think that's the best compliment he deserves.

But as I said, he was seen as strong and decisive, so as the worlds policeman that was enough to make people think twice, whereas Biden is a non-entity, so the world can take the piss knowing that he (probably quite literally) doesn't have any teeth.