Indian Motorcycles

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dodgy69

Re: Indian Motorcycles

Post by Dodgy69 »

The Tracer forum has many US members. Some of the photos I've seen are fantastic, including twisty mountain ranges. Yep, there is long desert highways but they do have the nice bits aswel. 🤠👍
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:06 pm The Tracer forum has many US members. Some of the photos I've seen are fantastic, including twisty mountain ranges. Yep, there is long desert highways but they do have the nice bits aswel. 🤠👍
Harry has them too, it just takes 2 hours to get to them :)
cheb

Post by cheb »

It takes me longer than that to get to some biking roads.

I doubt I could do the road trip thing, I'm too focused on the destination.
G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:37 am
No, i'm not really. When i think of places like Andalusia, or the Alps, you get great views, epic vistas but twisty bendy roads to go with it.

I don't care about plants, wildlife or indeed cities, beaches and lakes, meh, not so much either... But you also need interesting roads to get to these places and i think finding them in the US would be tricky beyond words.
I can't see how looking at a map of the US is different to looking at a map of Europe, finding good roads is the same everywhere. A mountain range is always a good place to start looking and there's plenty of those in the States ;)

I'm a bit of a weirdo in as much I'm more than happy to sit on the Autoroute for a day or two to get to somewhere interesting. An Indian Bagger would seem to be a comfortable way of doing that, it just needs to morph into something else once you get there! :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:37 am But you also need interesting roads to get to these places and i think finding them in the US would be tricky beyond words.
Have you ever actually been to America?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:18 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:37 am But you also need interesting roads to get to these places and i think finding them in the US would be tricky beyond words.
Have you ever actually been to America?
Never. But i've watched plenty of TV :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Dont believe everything you see on TV then :D
Claude

Post by Claude »

We did 3 weeks in California for our honeymoon road trip started in LA and worked our way down the coast. Loads of great places to visit and twisty interesting roads.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

We had our honeymoon in California too...I just found one of the roads we drove on, half an hour from San Francisco City centre.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/SW1aNFyFVLGebPJv8
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Scotsrich wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:23 am I’ve vaguely considered the USA for that but 2-300 miles a day is simply too much considering it doesn’t leave you much time for actually sightseeing.

Although if others have done it I’d be happy to be proved wrong.
Depends where you are... there wasn't much to see between Grand Junction in Colorado and Las Vegas - hence the 12 hour, 600 mile day!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I wouldn't mind a bit of this with an Indian. One day maybe. 🤷‍♂️

Copy and paste.

Yes to all the above. The grade on LaPorte isn't as steep as Sonora or Ebbets Pass, but NVZ is correct in that how the road is laid out on the steeper section, including some gnarly decreasing radius turns with zero room for error (and I mean 1,000 foot drop if you overcook it), it's a better experience going uphill on it.

Here's the simplified version: you essentially have 4 delicious roads crossing the mountains in this general area. North to south they are:

1. Hwy 70 (Feather River Canyon)

2. Hwy 162 (Bucks Lake Rd, aka Oro Quincy Hwy)

3. LaPorte Rd

4. Hwy 49 (Downieville Rd)

Of these, Hwy 70 and Hwy 49 can be enjoyed either direction, there isn't clearly a better direction than the other.

Of the other two: Hwy 162 is best enjoyed going West to East and LaPorte Rd is best enjoyed East to West.

You can easily do all 4 in a day. I would start at the bottom, go first on Downieville Rd up into the mountains, then connect with LaPorte Rd, back down off the mountains, then connect with Hwy 162 up the mountains, and from Quincy go back to the valley via Hwy 70.

This is a great day ride, which still gives you plenty of time before or after to head to your next destination. Something like this

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn Google Maps
Yamaha rocket 3