Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:08 pm Even worse are the ones that won't accept your real phone number, and you have to pad it out with an extra digit on the end.
Horse wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:27 pm I have a five digit number. Some forms can't cope. How difficult ...
Worse still is people not reading ... ;) :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:09 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:08 pm Even worse are the ones that won't accept your real phone number, and you have to pad it out with an extra digit on the end.
Horse wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:27 pm I have a five digit number. Some forms can't cope. How difficult ...
Worse still is people not reading ... ;) :D
Reading? We don't read stuff, YOU are supposed to read what I write. 😁
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Was out Saturday night with friends and we started talking about telly from our youth.

Woke up Sunday with this going through my head and it just won't stop.....

All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:41 am Was out Saturday night with friends and we started talking about telly from our youth.

Woke up Sunday with this going through my head and it just won't stop.....

millemille

Post by millemille »

People who argue with staff at airport security about what they do or don't have to do in order to get through security.

"I fly through here all the time, I work in Norway and I've never had to take my shoes off before..."

1. It's their bat and their ball, you ain't getting on a plane without them letting you through

2. Had a fucking war kicked off in the middle east when you last came through security?

Read the fucking room man! You've got a group of orthodox Jews queuing up there and a group strict Muslims over there. I'm sure extremists on either side of the conflict would like to bring down a plane full of the other side's nearest and dearest in the name of whatever god is compelling them to be arseholes. Taking off your shoes to walk through a scanner is not exactly arduous.

Self righteous prick in front of me just wouldn't let it go. The security staff were super patient with him. It was me who lost my cool with him and called him out for being an ignorant prick and holding everyone up.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

millemille wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:54 pm People who argue with staff at airport security about what they do or don't have to do in order to get through security.

"I fly through here all the time, I work in Norway and I've never had to take my shoes off before..."

1. It's their bat and their ball, you ain't getting on a plane without them letting you through

2. Had a fucking war kicked off in the middle east when you last came through security?

Read the fucking room man! You've got a group of orthodox Jews queuing up there and a group strict Muslims over there. I'm sure extremists on either side of the conflict would like to bring down a plane full of the other side's nearest and dearest in the name of whatever god is compelling them to be arseholes. Taking off your shoes to walk through a scanner is not exactly arduous.

Self righteous prick in front of me just wouldn't let it go. The security staff were super patient with him. It was me who lost my cool with him and called him out for being an ignorant prick and holding everyone up.
I forget to take my shoes off because I fly so rarely and some airports require it (Heathrow) and some don't (Lyon!).

But to argue is just being a massive Cuddly thing :roll:

Similar to people in queues of cars that argue with the gendarmes when told to go back on the motorway - FFS, who argues with a cop with a gun??!! Yes, it's a total bastard to have to go back on the motorway that's barely moving at walking pace, but they said do it, so JFDI so the rest of us (locals are allowed ot use the back roads!) can keep going!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
millemille

Post by millemille »

Noggin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:38 pm
millemille wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:54 pm People who argue with staff at airport security about what they do or don't have to do in order to get through security.

I forget to take my shoes off because I fly so rarely and some airports require it (Heathrow) and some don't (Lyon!).

But to argue is just being a massive Cuddly thing :roll:

Similar to people in queues of cars that argue with the gendarmes when told to go back on the motorway - FFS, who argues with a cop with a gun??!! Yes, it's a total bastard to have to go back on the motorway that's barely moving at walking pace, but they said do it, so JFDI so the rest of us (locals are allowed ot use the back roads!) can keep going!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Manchester didn't require shoes to be taken when I flew out of there in September, it's changed since then. The security guard who gave me a very friendly pat down after I set off the body scanner (I explained, it's just like a penis...only smaller) confirmed they're on a heightened level of alert since all the "goings on in the neighborhood", as a friend living in the UAE described recent events.

But even without that, as you say, different airports have different requirements and it can even depend on individual security staff as to what they chose.

I have a clear wash bag and dedicated clear refillable bottle for shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, aftershave etc. that all go in the wash bag along with tooth brush and sponge and comb and everything else and I just haul the whole bag out and chuck it in the tray to go through the X-ray machine. Been fine for the last 15 or so times I've been through Manchester, until September when a particularly chippy young woman manning the queue told me I had to put all the liquids in a separate clear bag.

"Is that a new rule?" I asked.

"NO!" she barks "it's always been that"

"Oh" says I "because it's been fine for the last year and every time I've been through"

"No it hasn't!" she informs me "You've always taken your liquids and put them in a separate bag!"

At which point you realise that this is someone who isn't going to let facts get in the way of their opinion and it's a hiding to nothing to argue...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

millemille wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:08 pm
Manchester didn't require shoes to be taken when I flew out of there in September, it's changed since then. The security guard who gave me a very friendly pat down after I set off the body scanner (I explained, it's just like a penis...only smaller) confirmed they're on a heightened level of alert since all the "goings on in the neighborhood", as a friend living in the UAE described recent events.

But even without that, as you say, different airports have different requirements and it can even depend on individual security staff as to what they chose.

I have a clear wash bag and dedicated clear refillable bottle for shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, aftershave etc. that all go in the wash bag along with tooth brush and sponge and comb and everything else and I just haul the whole bag out and chuck it in the tray to go through the X-ray machine. Been fine for the last 15 or so times I've been through Manchester, until September when a particularly chippy young woman manning the queue told me I had to put all the liquids in a separate clear bag.

"Oh" says I "because it's been fine for the last year and every time I've been through"

"No it hasn't!" she informs me "You've always taken your liquids and put them in a separate bag!"

At which point you realise that this is someone who isn't going to let facts get in the way of their opinion and it's a hiding to nothing to argue...
As you say, things change and not just in dates but between airports!!

Absolutely everything was different between Lyon and Heathrow, so I probably seemed like a complete muppet at Heathrow on the way back!!

Lyon - leave laptop and everything else in the bags, keep shoes on, have a quick scan because my shoulder beeps, forgot to empty the water bottle and the security guard took it away, emptied it and brought it back!!!!

Heathrow - proper grumpy, shoes off, everything out of bags and cases, grumpy woman waving a wand around shoulder and continued to be proper grumpy when I explained the reason! LOL

A friend says that the Heathrow tech is about to be updated so you don't have to take computers n stuff out of hand luggage/cases! Proper confused I it did!! LOL

But also - sometimes there are complete dicks for passengers and sometimes for security staff. I operate under the banner of "be polite and smiles sweetly" to all in the hope that they will be kind!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
millemille

Post by millemille »

Noggin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:53 pm
millemille wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:08 pm

As you say, things change and not just in dates but between airports!!

Absolutely everything was different between Lyon and Heathrow, so I probably seemed like a complete muppet at Heathrow on the way back!!

Lyon - leave laptop and everything else in the bags, keep shoes on, have a quick scan because my shoulder beeps, forgot to empty the water bottle and the security guard took it away, emptied it and brought it back!!!!

Heathrow - proper grumpy, shoes off, everything out of bags and cases, grumpy woman waving a wand around shoulder and continued to be proper grumpy when I explained the reason! LOL

A friend says that the Heathrow tech is about to be updated so you don't have to take computers n stuff out of hand luggage/cases! Proper confused I it did!! LOL

But also - sometimes there are complete dicks for passengers and sometimes for security staff. I operate under the banner of "be polite and smiles sweetly" to all in the hope that they will be kind!! :lol:
Different airports, even different terminals in the same airport, have different security scanners. Frankfurt's been the most modern/enlightened I've bene through recently. No limit on liquids, leave everything in your carry on luggage, leave all clothes on and stuff in pockets. Luggage goes through the scanner and you do the robot for 10 seconds in a full body scanner and then on your way....

Whereas UK airports seem, to a man, to be waaaaaaay behind Europe. Which is not exactly "quelle surprise!"...
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Stansted conducting a trial at the moment - leave all your shit in your bag and chuck it through. Easy peasy....
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

millemille wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:14 pm
Different airports, even different terminals in the same airport, have different security scanners. Frankfurt's been the most modern/enlightened I've bene through recently. No limit on liquids, leave everything in your carry on luggage, leave all clothes on and stuff in pockets. Luggage goes through the scanner and you do the robot for 10 seconds in a full body scanner and then on your way....

Whereas UK airports seem, to a man, to be waaaaaaay behind Europe. Which is not exactly "quelle surprise!"...
Lyon was basically like that - if the liquid had been in a proper water bottle, not a refillable jobbie it would probably ahve been ok (and thinking about it, I think he went off to test it, not bin it!!)

v8-powered wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:28 pm Stansted conducting a trial at the moment - leave all your shit in your bag and chuck it through. Easy peasy....
Soooo much easier!! :lol: :lol: Need Heathrow to get to that point too :D :D :D
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Bloody catholics.........again!
Quasimodo giving it large at 7am again, but today I have a hangover and it's peeing down, didn't fancy going up to the church and shouting Ta guele at it!
McNab

Post by McNab »

I just watched the Sainsburys shelf stacker taking the boxes of 2 cinnamon whirls (£1.55) off the shelf, opening them and putting the individual whirls into the fresh baked cinnamon whirl basket which sell at 95p each.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

McNab wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:02 pm I just watched the Sainsburys shelf stacker taking the boxes of 2 cinnamon whirls (£1.55) off the shelf, opening them and putting the individual whirls into the fresh baked cinnamon whirl basket which sell at 95p each.
The extra 35p is to cover the cost of the time it took that employee to open the box and take them out. :thumbup:
McNab

Post by McNab »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:12 pm
McNab wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:02 pm I just watched the Sainsburys shelf stacker taking the boxes of 2 cinnamon whirls (£1.55) off the shelf, opening them and putting the individual whirls into the fresh baked cinnamon whirl basket which sell at 95p each.
The extra 35p is to cover the cost of the time it took that employee to open the box and take them out. :thumbup:
:D

I was always under the impression that the ones in the open basket were fresher than the boxed ones. That said, covid put paid to me buying anything from those baskets.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I suspect they are all made at the same time and put in the boxes in store?

I chatted to the guy in my local CooP about this once cause I'm curious about everything and anything :lol: CooP (or, at least, my local CooP) get theirs in frozen and bake them in store, then box them themselves.

Tesco do the same as far as I can work out. In fact Tesco actually sell the exact same pastries in their frozen state in bags. So do IKEA.

They're all made in the same factory i bet. I walk past one (Lantmannen Unibake) on my way to Tesco. Smells lovely.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

My B-I-L used to work in the bakery in Morrisons. All the cakes and most of the bread that were baked 'in store' were frozen and simply thrown in the oven. They did used to make some loaves, mainly for show, in the big mixer, but that went by the wayside years back.

He did recount one story about the deep fat fryer used for doughnuts, which had to get up to temperature. The thermometer had long since packed up, so to test it they were meant to throw a bit of bread in and see if it browned-up instantly. He said that most of the time they'd spit in it to see if it was hot enough to make the spit sizzle. :sick:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Any fool knows you're not meant to put water in deep fryers.

Freezing gets a bad rap, but IMO freezing uncooked bread dough is pretty benign. All the best bread is aged for days before it's baked anyway.

Not in a freezer though I'll grant you ;)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:41 pm Any fool knows you're not meant to put water in deep fryers.

Freezing gets a bad rap, but IMO freezing uncooked bread dough is pretty benign. All the best bread is aged for days before it's baked anyway.

Not in a freezer though I'll grant you ;)
I'll buy fresh (decent) bread and freeze it too. Buy a large sourdough loaf, put half into use, bag and freeze the other half. Fish it out early am to thaw on the day it's needed. It's :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I keep all the end bits and slightly stale bits in a box in the freezer, then whip em out for breadcrumbs or croutons when needed.

I bet ya Gremmers is partial to a nice bread/oil/toms/olive Italian salad too.