Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:17 pm
Noggin wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:05 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:55 pm Not sure what this means! (I can use computers pretty well, I do not understand the rest of it!! LOL)
The little arrow next to "connection is secure" tells you more.

Honestly though, it ends in ".net" and is therefore bullshit pretty much for sure. Real government agencies end .gov, .fr etc.

Plus the website in the address bar and the text at the top of the page don't match :lol:
I'm a bit of a dunce in this, it doesn't tell me much! But the lack of .gov or .fr was another flag!!

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Didge

Post by Didge »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:23 pm The price to rent a film on Sky Q, 15 quid for The Equaliser 3, I don't bloomin' think so sunshine :obscene-birdiedoublered:
That's just the price for a popular film that's just come out. It goes back down to the normal 3 or 4 quid rental after so many weeks, or sometimes a month or so.

I don't know who these people are who pay £15 just to watch a film straight away. We're supposedly in a resession, but obviously there are many who have more money than sense.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Noggin's speeding/parking fine web site is a scam all day long. I just entered the URL that was provided earler and this is what I got:

scam.JPG
scam.JPG (20.8 KiB) Viewed 470 times
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Didge wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:19 pm We're supposedly in a resession, but obviously there are many who have more money than sense.
I'm shocked at the number of scooters* whizzing around delivering takeaway food.

Have they forgotten how to cook.

* usually the rider with one foot skimming the ground. Why ???
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Didge wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:19 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:23 pm The price to rent a film on Sky Q, 15 quid for The Equaliser 3, I don't bloomin' think so sunshine :obscene-birdiedoublered:
That's just the price for a popular film that's just come out. It goes back down to the normal 3 or 4 quid rental after so many weeks, or sometimes a month or so.
Which would be a valid argument, except a cinema ticket @ Vue only costs a fiver.
Oh and that Sky give 2 free Vue tickets a month, if you have Sky cinema subscription.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Bloody catholics!
Apart from the obvious stuff, who thought it's a good idea to go all Quasimodo at 7am on a Sunday!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:35 pm Noggin's speeding/parking fine web site is a scam all day long. I just entered the URL that was provided earler and this is what I got:

scam.JPG
LOL I should have waited another day before putting the url into the laptop!! Would have saved myself looking really stupid for asking :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:47 pm
Didge wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:19 pm We're supposedly in a resession, but obviously there are many who have more money than sense.
I'm shocked at the number of scooters* whizzing around delivering takeaway food.

Have they forgotten how to cook.

* usually the rider with one foot skimming the ground. Why ???
Tis what the MotoGP riders do tho innit!!!
Bowman

Post by Bowman »

I always get slightly irritated when filling the washer bottle on the car or van. Why make the bottle less than 5 litres?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Noggin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:03 am
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:35 pm Noggin's speeding/parking fine web site is a scam all day long. I just entered the URL that was provided earler and this is what I got:

scam.JPG
LOL I should have waited another day before putting the url into the laptop!! Would have saved myself looking really stupid for asking :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask...
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:58 am
Noggin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:03 am

scam.JPG
The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask...
Errrr ???
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

There is no such thing as a stupid question. If something concerns you, ask the question. To not ask the question may well be very unwise, even stupid.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:25 am There is no such thing as a stupid question. If something concerns you, ask the question. To not ask the question may well be very unwise, even stupid.
Of course!! In my defense I hadn't finished my first coffee when I replied!! LOL
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

TBF at least 2 users on here* have been scammed by fake "give us £5 to SORN your vehicle" websites (said sites do actually SORN, bit it is free to do it anyway). Plenty of normal people get caught by these things.

*don't ask me who, I just know it's at least 2 because I remember thinking "another one?!" at the time,
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Vets and councils.

We've moved to a different council area. so have to get new dog licences. To get a licence, you need the dog's chip number. Can I find the paperwork with the first two's chip number? Can I fuck.

So I ring the council where they dogs were originally licenced and say "Hello. I'm Mr Jawa formerly of such and such address, I'm looking to licence my dogs in a new area and I'd like you to tell me the chip numbers please."

"Sorry Sir, I'm not allowed to give that information." :roll: :roll: :roll:

Meanwhile, the girl I got doggy #3 off and she can't find the chip details either.

So I phone the vet.

"Certainly Sir, we can scan your animals but you'll need to make a seperate appointment for each animal." £25 per dog for literally scanning a chip.

So I go on Amazon and buy a chip scanner for £25.

New dog, Beep, done.

Dog#2, Beep, done.

Original dog...Nowt. Repeat several times, then Beep. The chip is in her left shoulder. WTF?

So on a roll, I decide to do the cats.

12yo vicious cat. Beep.

11yo half feral cat. Beep.

11yo indoor cat. Nada, nowt, no chip detected.

So this cat was meant to be chipped when she being spayed, back in 2012. IIRC the cat was spayed by a trainee and looked like she had been attacked by a flamethrower and chainsaw and there was one hell of a row when the Mrs saw the poor thing.

Now it looks like they didn't bother chipping her either. Muppets.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Effing LED downlighters! So, new house, mostly whizzy downlighters, LED so they allegedly are near-everlasting. NOT ! :angry-cussingblack:

Yes, they provide (some) light more or less forever, but flickering, or changing colour temperature, or both. And these are not your ordinary downlight fittings with a LED bulb, no siree. These are genuine state of the art, all singing, all dancing, own driver LED fittings, wit switchable colour temperature and (on the latest versions) switchable lumen levels. That cost £16 each last time around, they were about £35 originally. And of course changing them involves extracting the whole fitting, driver and all, from the ceiling, which almost always involves scraped knuckles. And I have about 27 of the bastard thngs! I changed one today, and this evening another one has gone.

The LEDs may be reliable, the fancy electronics on the drivers are pants. :angry-cussingblack:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

When online forms can't cope with spaces when inputting a phone number !!

I know nothing bout coding. But surely they can code the thing to ignore spaces?
Dot/: if there is nothing there ignore it :://
Horse

Post by Horse »

Jody wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:13 pm When online forms can't cope with spaces when inputting a phone number !!

I know nothing bout coding. But surely they can code the thing to ignore spaces?
I have a five digit number. Some forms can't cope. How difficult ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Jody wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:13 pm When online forms can't cope with spaces when inputting a phone number !!

Concatenation has been around for years n' years, so it's not that difficult. I guess these things aren't done by anyone actually coding anything any more, just using whatever app-building tools they've got/know how to use. What's behind the app/front end is anyone's guess for some of these things.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:58 pm

Concatenation has been around for years n' years, so it's not that difficult. I guess these things aren't done by anyone actually coding anything any more, just using whatever app-building tools they've got/know how to use. What's behind the app/front end is anyone's guess for some of these things.
Even worse are the ones that won't accept your real phone number, and you have to pad it out with an extra digit on the end.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!