Dodgy69

Re: You think you're having a bad day?

Post by Dodgy69 »

Never heard of a Royal Enfield getting nicked. 🤔
Yamaha rocket 3
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Dunxster wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:22 pm It's not just the theft. That's bad enough given it was locked to a ground anchor with a god almighty expensive Almax chain, it was threatening my neighbour when he saw them nicking it that really rankles.
They got through an Almax? Or did they bust the lock?
non quod, sed quomodo
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Dodgy69 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:08 pm Never heard of a Royal Enfield getting nicked. 🤔
I couldn't give mine away..
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Noggin wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:42 pm But you'd probably be pretty pissed if someone said "oh the thieves did you a favour by knicking that bike (whichever bike it was)" ??

Even if it isn't a pride and joy, as I said, its a form of transport that someone chose and bought. No one is doing that person a favour by stealing it!!
I opened the fuel cap on my Z250, pushed it over & threw a match in the resultant puddle. Some *helpful* fucker rushed out of a nearby cafe with an extinguisher & put the fire out. If I saw someone trying to steal it I would have given them the keys. I doubt they would have got far, it eventually snapped the crank in half.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:52 pm
Dunxster wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:22 pm It's not just the theft. That's bad enough given it was locked to a ground anchor with a god almighty expensive Almax chain, it was threatening my neighbour when he saw them nicking it that really rankles.
I was intrigued by this too.
Dunxster

Post by Dunxster »

Taipan wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:34 am
Rockburner wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:52 pm
I was intrigued by this too.
I've yet to find out. I'm still out of the country. Who knows what I'll get back to.
Dunxster

Post by Dunxster »

Home now and the bastards cut through the Almax chain. It's still there with the Squire lock hanging from the ground anchor.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Dunxster wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:14 pm Home now and the bastards cut through the Almax chain. It's still there with the Squire lock hanging from the ground anchor.
Cordless angle grinder with a thin cut-off disc, takes mere seconds... & they probably stole that from somewhere like B&Q etc. I remember back in the day there was palaver involved in renting gas powered grinders owing to freelance bankers cutting their way into armored cars with them.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:29 pm
Dunxster wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:14 pm Home now and the bastards cut through the Almax chain. It's still there with the Squire lock hanging from the ground anchor.
Cordless angle grinder with a thin cut-off disc, takes mere seconds... & they probably stole that from somewhere like B&Q etc. I remember back in the day there was palaver involved in renting gas powered grinders owing to freelance bankers cutting their way into armored cars with them.
I've started keeping the batteries for my cordless tools in the house, instead of conveniently with the tools.
non quod, sed quomodo
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:24 pm I've lived in the US for 32 years & the UK for 31 years... During my time in the US I've known fewer than 10 people* have their bikes stolen... & that includes people on US forums like this, owners clubs & FB etc.

*I think the actual number is 6
That’s cos they’re too busy doing mass shootings to worry about nicking bikes.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:08 pm That’s cos they’re too busy doing mass shootings to worry about nicking bikes.
Always highly amusing to see a group of Brits on holiday show up at the RockStore on rented bikes. Out come the chains, padlocks, steel cables, disc locks & christ knows what else as the secure 4 or 5 bikes & their helmets etc together. Even when told that's not necessary here, they often carry on as tho they're in Liverpool.
Not unusual for the locals to leave their keys in their bikes...
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:51 am
Always highly amusing to see a group of Brits on holiday show up at the RockStore on rented bikes. Out come the chains, padlocks, steel cables, disc locks & christ knows what else as the secure 4 or 5 bikes & their helmets etc together. Even when told that's not necessary here, they often carry on as tho they're in Liverpool.
Thankfully it’s not necessary where I live either. I don’t even own a lock for the bikes.

(Shouldn’t tempt fate tho :D )
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:24 am
Thankfully it’s not necessary where I live either. I don’t even own a lock for the bikes.

(Shouldn’t tempt fate tho :D )

I've left my keys in bikes here and on the IoM - luckily I'd only got a couple of yards before I realised I'd done it in the UK!!! Even without leaving the keys in them, I 'lost' three bikes in Bristol :(

I think I'd be more careful if I lived in a city here, but in this area, I rarely see bike locked up. I had to use a lock on mine as it was in the insurance!! LOL But next time I'll use a French insurance co and am pretty sure that won't be a demand, but probably a suggestion!

TBF, none of the bikes i had taken had anything like an Almax on them. Absolutely gutted for Dunxster - it always sucks (and lots of other things!) when people think it's ok to nick something that belongs to someone else :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:08 pm That’s cos they’re too busy doing mass shootings to worry about nicking bikes.
To be fair, i wouldn't put locks on a bike at Boxhill.

But 5 miles down the road, hell yes.
non quod, sed quomodo
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Have you told Almax their chains are shit yet?
non quod, sed quomodo
Didge

Post by Didge »

Rockburner wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:36 am
Have you told Almax their chains are shit yet?
Are there ANY chains that can withstand an anglegrinder?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Didge wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:39 pm Are there ANY chains that can withstand an anglegrinder?
Nope. If you catch the fucker cutting the chain you could take the grinder away from them & use it to impair their future ability to pick their nose, wipe their arse & feed themselves...
Dunxster

Post by Dunxster »

It makes you wonder about the discounts supposed offered by insurance companies for declared security. You buy a gold- or diamond-rated lock, chain, etc and tell your insurers when they must be aware that in all reality such devices are merely a deterrent to casual bike thieves.
I'm now wondering how much difference the tracker makes to an insurance policy.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Some kind of quick release wheel , 20s job might help. Be harder to push. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

:shock: Do you live in a remote area? The almax chains take some cutting and its a bold mover to hack at one.