In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: In todays news...

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:11 am
No it won't... it won't come as a shock to any of them, anyone can see the way things are, none of this is even remotely newsworthy apart from the fact that lots of companies are folding... But is that news... well, not really.

It had nothing to do with you telling us, you can see it walking down any highstreet, walking into any pub, going to any shopping center... People are not doing as well as they were in terms of disposable income.
Oh I see what you mean, yes now it's actually happening you'd be hard pressed to miss it or ignore it.

I remember saying this a couple of years ago, I said you could put your head in the sand and pretend it isn't coming, or prepare for it by cutting back, because if you wait until it's actually happened and it's right under your nose then it's too late.
Now it's too late.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:37 pm The factory is just round the corner from my house.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-67267093

Must have been David Seaman's fees.
Only had the misfortune to deal with them once,never again.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:33 am
No it won't... it won't come as a shock to any of them, anyone can see the way things are, none of this is even remotely newsworthy apart from the fact that lots of companies are folding... But is that news... well, not really.

It had nothing to do with you telling us, you can see it walking down any highstreet, walking into any pub, going to any shopping center... People are not doing as well as they were in terms of disposable income.
Oh I see what you mean, yes now it's actually happening you'd be hard pressed to miss it or ignore it.

I remember saying this a couple of years ago, I said you could put your head in the sand and pretend it isn't coming, or prepare for it by cutting back, because if you wait until it's actually happened and it's right under your nose then it's too late.
Now it's too late.
WOuldn't 'cutting back' have just moved it on further and quicker. Demand would have been lower for things, people would still be getting laid off, they'd just potentially have a bigger bank account to compensate for it, but arguably, it would still have happened. Just a question of when.

However if you're in a job, leaving that job is often hard and moving out of Sector A of sales for example, wouldn't be any worse/better than Sector B, so what were they to do, their jobs were safe, right up until the time they were not. There are of course some 'safe' industries at the moment, but picking and choosing them wasnt/isn't easy.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:50 am
weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:13 am None of this is a shock though is it... I mean seriously.
Perhaps it wasn't a shock to you because you had the benefit of me repeatedly telling you it was going to happen :lol:

I think it came as a shock to the 650 without jobs today, and no doubt it will come as a shock to the thousands of other people it's still yet to happen to. Saying that, even if they were members here and I was warning them they'd probably still be trotting out the same stuff saying "it won't affect me" or "but what can I do about it...".

They might not see it at their work.
When I've worked at privately owned companies there are regular meetings to announce how great the order book is and how well the company is doing, if you haven't worked for a failed company before you might believe them despite the layoffs.
A few years back I left a company that was making lots of positive announcements, a few weeks later they folded just before payday so people didn't even get that month's pay. There were CCJs taken against it so it was there to see but I don't know anyone that looked.

Edit: I checked and you have to pay to check CCJs, that's why nobody did it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:41 am
WOuldn't 'cutting back' have just moved it on further and quicker.
Well I could answer this in lots of different ways depending on who I direct it at.

I suppose there is something to be said for the strategy of just plodding on and taking the hard times on the chin if/when they happen, you could spend your whole life worry about a catastrophe that might never happen, but having been through it once and thinking I was going to lose my house and everything with it, I swore I'd never get caught like that again.

Strangely the inspiration for this came from a Lofty Wiseman (ex-SAS) lecture when he said that as a young man he almost starved to death in the jungle due to poor preparation and planning - from that moment on he swore he'd learn how to manage things so that he'd never go hungry again.

I don't want to go hungry, or go broke.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:43 am
They might not see it at their work.
When I've worked at privately owned companies there are regular meetings to announce how great the order book is and how well the company is doing, if you haven't worked for a failed company before you might believe them despite the layoffs.
A few years back I left a company that was making lots of positive announcements, a few weeks later they folded just before payday so people didn't even get that month's pay. There were CCJs taken against it so it was there to see but I don't know anyone that looked.

Edit: I checked and you have to pay to check CCJs, that's why nobody did it.
I reckon most people wouldn't even think to check or even care, they just turn up, do their job and go home, they wouldn't care if the place burned down that evening as long as they got a new job or the money kept coming in.

It's amazing how little time people spend figuring out where the potential pitfalls in their life are.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

weeksy wrote: WOuldn't 'cutting back' have just moved it on further and quicker. Demand would have been lower for things
If I cut back on things, or moved out of a boom-and-bust industry like selling windows, that wouldn’t much hurt the economy.

If everyone did, then yes.
Potter

Post by Potter »

This corrupt policeman will probably walk away with a golden handshake https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67277752
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:23 pm This corrupt policeman will probably walk away with a golden handshake https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67277752
3 years for a process that should have taken 3 weeks? Working for an FAA licensed aircraft maintenance company I was subject to random drug tests. Refusing was instant dismissal, and an appeal would taken about 2-3 weeks max.

The Police Service have lost the plot.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:23 pm This corrupt policeman will probably walk away with a golden handshake https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67277752
Three years and he hasn't been able to fit someone else up for it, he's slacking. I wonder how many trumped up charges his ex flatmate has been dragged in for since the complaint.
Docca

Post by Docca »

https://x.com/saeed3373/status/1719458877089915278?s=46

It’s a decent summary. I think the tide of support for Israel is turning.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Israel having to defend itself against the weapons Biden gifted to the Taliban which they sold to Hamas & Hezbollah... Not looking like such a great idea now is it?
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

He's already been leaching money from the tax payer as he has been suspended since 2020 on full pay. How the fuck has his suspension gone on for that long, and still continues?

More police corruption at it's finest.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67258332

Some quite aggressive Jew-getting in Dagestan.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Docca wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:46 am https://x.com/saeed3373/status/1719458877089915278?s=46

It’s a decent summary. I think the tide of support for Israel is turning.
Link not working but I think I can guess the sentiment.
I can see why Palestine has a lot of support but I think they are deliberately conflating Palestinians with Hamas, the same as Israel likes to do with Judaism.

If the Palestinian situation was as simple as Israel is a nasty oppressor then why did Egypt close it's border with Gaza?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Eh bah gum, thee were reet good ol days.

Great advert......64 years old....not that old in todays world.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Oops. Mind and delete your sat nav history folk :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... t-67288689
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Was watching the news this morning and they done a report on how the Police get called names, get abused and generally are treated like crap by a minority of the public. Lot's off with mental health issues due to name calling etc!

FFS - ITS YOUR FUCKING JOB, you have chosen to work in law enforcement where most of the rules are there to protect the rich from the poor and you wonder why you get abuse from the public! - It was like watching interviews with small children on the playground dressed as coppers!

How do all these snowflakes cope with day to day life?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Don't you sometimes wish big corps would have the balls to stand up to social media idiots and tell them to feck off instead of throwing out apologies and statements of love for all every five minutes...

"M&S pulls Christmas advert post after Palestinian flag criticism"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67294809

M&S PR gurus: "We have removed the post following feedback and we apologise for any unintentional hurt caused,"

Gremlin's PR: "Grow up, you bunch of fuck knuckles. If you don't like it, go fucking shop at Poundland, you mouth-breathing morons."
Last edited by gremlin on Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!