In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: In todays news...

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:57 pm
Potter wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:17 pm
Lutin wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:43 am Just when you thought that GB (Gratuitous Bollocks) News couldn't stoop any lower - Boris Johnson: Former prime minister to host GB News show
I don't think it's compulsory to listen to it.
I don't like rap music, so I don't listen to it.
Not many people do...not for very long anyway... :lol:

In August 2023, GB News had a total identified monthly audience (including sharing and streaming) of 2,786,000, with a nearly 1 minute average daily viewing according to BARB.

They've got their dream team now, Johnson, Rees-Mogg and Lee (I used to be Labour) Anderson. Money well spent. Arf.
I actually don't even know what it is, I thought it was a radio station but I just googled it and it's a TV show as well?

I've never listened to it or watched it, although to be fair I don't watch much TV unless it's Netflix and I get most of my news from non-western channels because they usually just report the news, not opinion.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

GB News looks like a vanity project for the sort of person who is not content to be rich: they want to be influential as well.

I don’t think that plan is working all that well.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:58 am GB News looks like a vanity project for the sort of person who is not content to be rich: they want to be influential as well.

It is nice and Brexity though. :thumbup:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:33 am
JackyJoll wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:58 am GB News looks like a vanity project for the sort of person who is not content to be rich: they want to be influential as well.

It is nice and Brexity though. :thumbup:
Yes it has achieved that not difficult objective!
irie

Post by irie »

irie wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:57 pm Given ...

1. The USS Gerald Ford and USS Dwight Eisenhower are now deployed in the Eastern Med.

2. The latest US worldwide terror warnings to American citizens.

3. Unconfirmed reports that Biden has given the go-ahead to an IDF offensive in Gaza.

... the IDF offensive looks set to be on a sabbath - either Muslim, Jewish, or Christian.
On a "sabbath" but a week later.

Hezbollah seems to be keeping it's head down, but for how long?
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The factory is just round the corner from my house.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-67267093

Must have been David Seaman's fees.
David

Post by David »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:37 pm The factory is just round the corner from my house.

The most awful window firm I ever dealt with.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

David wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:38 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:37 pm The factory is just round the corner from my house.

The most awful window firm I ever dealt with.
I don't think they helped themselves much.
BBC News - Safestyle UK: Window firm fined for 'aggressive sales'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-44844422
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

You only fit double glazing once, so fit the best.
Potter

Post by Potter »

These events were as obvious as inflation and interest rates rising.

Look at the financial performance of any company before covid when the economy was contracting, if they were struggling then it's very likely that they'll go bust now. The Bank of England flooded the economy with so much newly printed money during covid (plus furlough/grants/etc) that it kept things artificially afloat in a little fantasy bubble, and now it shouldn't be a surprise when you see some companies start going under.

The actual numbers predict a very bad 2024, but you don't need to understand those, you can gauge it by the amount of lies and nonsense the government and BoE talk, the more shite they talk, you know the worse it actually is.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:15 am

These events were as obvious as inflation and interest rates rising.

Look at the financial performance of any company before covid when the economy was contracting, if they were struggling then it's very likely that they'll go bust now. The Bank of England flooded the economy with so much newly printed money during covid (plus furlough/grants/etc) that it kept things artificially afloat in a little fantasy bubble, and now it shouldn't be a surprise when you see some companies start going under.

The actual numbers predict a very bad 2024, but you don't need to understand those, you can gauge it by the amount of lies and nonsense the government and BoE talk, the more shite they talk, you know the worse it actually is.
Auntie Beeb agrees...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67261798
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I said ya buy one, ya get one free!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

None of this is a shock though is it... I mean seriously. People have less money due to inflation, therefore are spending less... What's the shock here ?

I'm not even sure how this registers as 'news'
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:13 am None of this is a shock though is it... I mean seriously. People have less money due to inflation, therefore are spending less... What's the shock here ?

I'm not even sure how this registers as 'news'
You are using a very old-fashioned definition of 'news'. Today it means what everyone already knows and are twittering about.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

X, formerly twittering about.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:13 am None of this is a shock though is it... I mean seriously.
Perhaps it wasn't a shock to you because you had the benefit of me repeatedly telling you it was going to happen :lol:

I think it came as a shock to the 650 without jobs today, and no doubt it will come as a shock to the thousands of other people it's still yet to happen to. Saying that, even if they were members here and I was warning them they'd probably still be trotting out the same stuff saying "it won't affect me" or "but what can I do about it...".
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've written a P&L dashboard in PowerBI for the FD, I like to think I know how well the company is doing :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:03 am I've written a P&L dashboard in PowerBI for the FD, I like to think I know how well the company is doing :)
I use that a lot, but it's a lagging indicator, even if you've included order book info then it's still just a snapshot.
You'd be an FD/MD if you could write a strategy and predict where it's going in 2-5yrs.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:50 am
weeksy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:13 am None of this is a shock though is it... I mean seriously.
Perhaps it wasn't a shock to you because you had the benefit of me repeatedly telling you it was going to happen :lol:

I think it came as a shock to the 650 without jobs today, and no doubt it will come as a shock to the thousands of other people it's still yet to happen to. Saying that, even if they were members here and I was warning them they'd probably still be trotting out the same stuff saying "it won't affect me" or "but what can I do about it...".
No it won't... it won't come as a shock to any of them, anyone can see the way things are, none of this is even remotely newsworthy apart from the fact that lots of companies are folding... But is that news... well, not really.

It had nothing to do with you telling us, you can see it walking down any highstreet, walking into any pub, going to any shopping center... People are not doing as well as they were in terms of disposable income.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Some kinds of prediction aren’t all that hard to do.

During a long period of low interest rates and low inflation, even I could safely say that these parameters were not going to go down: they were going to go up.

Potter is right about people not paying attention (I don’t mean you people). Intelligent colleagues about twenty years younger than me, so born around 1980, either couldn’t grasp that rates were bound to rise, or they were happier not believing it. All they did was moan about low interest on savings.