Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Demannu

Re: Inconsequential ramblings of an Old Git

Post by Demannu »

Coming soon to a thread near you!
Why do my brakes pulse
Skub

Post by Skub »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:57 pm There was an early panic when I re-used a tube of silicone that had previously been capped off using cling film, and when I applied force in the shape of a mastic gun it steadfastly refused to budge. I then foolishly poked a screwdriver into the plugged end and released a torrent of silicone everywhere. Cue frantic clean up operations and black silicone all over bench, vice, hands and God knows what else. That stuff really does stick like sh1t to a blanket...
I did similar this week when using a tin of aerosol glue. When I pressed nozzle the glue shot out in a snottery stream at 90° all over the seat of the H1..fuckity fuckity fuckstix. :o It was like the Fred Gassit cartoon when he pisses all over everyone because he has a hair on his knob. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Demannu wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:56 pm Coming soon to a thread near you!
Why do my brakes pulse
There's still some end float, just not the excessive amount there was previously. If there are any problems they should become immediately apparent on the first test ride.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:20 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:57 pm There was an early panic when I re-used a tube of silicone that had previously been capped off using cling film, and when I applied force in the shape of a mastic gun it steadfastly refused to budge. I then foolishly poked a screwdriver into the plugged end and released a torrent of silicone everywhere. Cue frantic clean up operations and black silicone all over bench, vice, hands and God knows what else. That stuff really does stick like sh1t to a blanket...
I did similar this week when using a tin of aerosol glue. When I pressed nozzle the glue shot out in a snottery stream at 90° all over the seat of the H1..fuckity fuckity fuckstix. :o It was like the Fred Gassit cartoon when he pisses all over everyone because he has a hair on his knob. :lol:
I bet there were some pretty frantic clean up operations going on there... And a good helping of profanity...
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

New Year, New Mandlebars :D

DSCF3935.JPG
DSCF3935.JPG (844.55 KiB) Viewed 446 times

A trip to my friendly local welders is indicated for tomorrow, I think...
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Couldn't help but think of these!

Will they be going on the MT09 risers?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:10 pm Couldn't help but think of these!

Will they be going on the MT09 risers?
Hah! Yes, they'll be going on the MT-09 risers. They're a clone of the steel bars I'm using so I can test out which is better for vibe-resistance, steel or ali bars. I had the tubing lying around and have a pillar drill and horizontal bandsaw, so it's a little low-cost exercise.

But I suspect that synchronising the throttle bodies will probably cure the vibes I've been noticing... ho-hum.

What are those bars off that you posted?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Spurred on by conversations in other threads about spannering in cold mancaves/sheds I bravely and heroically ventured out to the shed and put the fan heater on at its highest setting.

And then went back to the warmth of the house for an hour or so...

By the time I got back it had reached the balmy heights of 12 deg C and was almost comfortable enough to work without gloves. The recipient of my attentions was the VFR - it's got to go back together before April so I can ferry it down to the S of F for my annual spring time bout of house-bothering. Today was a case of checking and re-torquing all the front end bolts I'd loosened when removing the forks, wheels and discs to try and pin down the source of the dreaded clonking. I'm pretty sure the clonking has been fixed - if it hasn't it's just tough and I'll have to live with it.

Then it was a case of reacquainting the VFR with its top fairing, fitting it and reconnecting lights, indicators, mirrors etc and making sure all cable runs were correct with no fouling. It's so much easier when everything you're working on is at a convenient height - there's a reason the Skylift is my favourite piece of mancave kit.

No pictures this time, but there will be when I next venture out. This time it will be a case of removing the standard exhaust from cans back to collector box and replacing them with a pair of more aesthetically pleasing (and significantly louder) carbon cans and stainless link pipes. I'll probably need to re-jet the carbs to suit, but I'm not thinking about that right now...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

At least you work in a shed. I’m shall be outside on Saturday,braving the wind and all the strength it can muster as it howls up the Thames estuary and into my garden workplace whilst I’m trying to wire in heated grips! :(
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:10 pm At least you work in a shed. I’m shall be outside on Saturday,braving the wind and all the strength it can muster as it howls up the Thames estuary and into my garden workplace whilst I’m trying to wire in heated grips! :(
You have my sympathy (for what it's worth). I've been in that situation and it's pretty f'n unpleasant. Could you borrow a tent or something similar to work in?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I changed the passenger front wheel speed sensor on the wife's car last week at 6:30pm on the unlit drive. It was a balmy 3c and I had to use an old bedside lamp to see what I was doing.

Double hard northern bastard me.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:25 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:10 pm At least you work in a shed. I’m shall be outside on Saturday,braving the wind and all the strength it can muster as it howls up the Thames estuary and into my garden workplace whilst I’m trying to wire in heated grips! :(
You have my sympathy (for what it's worth). I've been in that situation and it's pretty f'n unpleasant. Could you borrow a tent or something similar to work in?
In-Laws have a big double garage with lighting etc, which I can use, but I like being at home with my own tools etc! :wtf:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'd be getting a big tent and sticking it up to keep the wind chill off. I Reckon you could get a tent up in 15-20 mins that'd do the job easy.
Skub

Post by Skub »

There's no way I'd be working on a bike outside in Winter unless it was a matter of life or death.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:08 pm
There's no way I'd be working on a bike outside in Winter unless it was a matter of life or death.
In my yoof, outside in the garden was all I had.
First garage at 26 was magic.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:08 pm
Riding without heated grips in this weather is a matter of life and death! :crazy:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 am
Riding without heated grips in this weather is a matter of life and death! :crazy:
I would point out this fact to Mrs T & bring the scoot indoors for 'essentail unavoidable maintenance' :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:16 am
I would point out this fact to Mrs T & bring the scoot indoors for 'essentail unavoidable maintenance' :thumbup:
Lol, I have done before, but now I reckon she'd play the old "now the lounge needs decorating" card on me! :thumbdown:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:24 am
Lol, I have done before, but now I reckon she'd play the old "now the lounge needs decorating" card on me! :thumbdown:
Sat/Sun looks like the temps rise a bit. A balmy 11c on Sunday afternoon. You'll be able to work in shorts
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:04 am
Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:24 am

Sat/Sun looks like the temps rise a bit. A balmy 11c on Sunday afternoon. You'll be able to work in shorts
Good news. It was minus 4 when I left this morning! :shock: