Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
David

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by David »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:44 pm My own name. It's slightly unusual, not mad or nuffink, just a slight variation on a fairly common surname.

Doesn't cause me so many problems except that literally everybody assumes they can spell it better than I can. Over the years I've had bank accounts, V5s, credit cards etc essentially in someone else's name, because they know fecking best, and I CBA to correct them. In most scenarios it doesn't really matter, except these days you need an account for fecking everything....

Best one recently. Bought some electrical goods insurance back in May, I give them my email address (which is my own name) - they assume I'm retarded and input it wrongly. So when my debit card expires they vainly spam some poor other bloke (they don't use the -correct- mobile # or -correct- physical address, that they also have as part of my account details, to contact me, that would be too easy) wanting me to update it. So first I know of a problem s when a debt collection agency contacts me by snail mail. And of course they impose a 'fine'.

And of course to fix it all takes at least two (so far) visits of an hour each talking to confused customer services people back at the original point of sale.
Oi loike moi name...but it never gets splet or pronounced correctly....it's very Cornish, and sounds like a golfer......
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Printers, technology in general.

Bought a new printer a while back. It uses 'Ink on demand' which should be a super whizzy idea. The printer knows how much ink you're using, auto-ships new ink to you when you're running low, in good time. Deep joy.

Except when I put their replacement cartridges in obviously it throws a wobbly and sends you through pages and pages of 'try this!' fixes before finally telling you to try a different cartridge. If I had a fecking spare cartridge I'm pretty sure that would have been the first thing I tried. And it probably wouldn't work anyway because I strongly suspect you have to use cartridges that are part of the Instant-Ink contract, and the printer will know and emit a keening scream like a baby with your foot on its neck.

And now of course I have to call the feared Support helpdesk, where some over-familiar furriners will put me on hold. The minor inconveniences of having to source and fetch my own own ink have by this point been completely wiped out by a few hours of pissing about.

I feel like Victor Meldrew.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Broken Metacarpal in my right hand, the classic boxers injury, only I did it tripping over one of the hounds, off work for 5 or 6 weeks, been less than a week and I'm climbing the bloody walls.

Luckily I can only walk one dog at a time so at least that's a couple of hours of activity.

Motor is due for MOT on Saturday so have to get a mate to take it through.

Fuck it.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Pathetic behaviour by huge companies.

Amazon being a repeat offender. Click a link from a search engine to look at a what Amazon is selling. To decline their cookies it takes you to a different page. Once the cookies are declined Amazon takes you to their home page, not the page you wanted to look at. That'll be me closing the Amazon page then. Granted I probably wouldn't have bought anything from them even if they'd not mucked me about but the redirect thing is a definite no sale.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Scott brand blue paper shop towels.
Original:
60 towels per roll, 11x11in per towel = 55ft per roll

Now:
55 towels per roll, 11x9.5in per towel = 43.54ft per roll

Difference: 11.54ft per roll.
11.54x10 = 115.4ft
115.4/60 = 1.92

Same price for a 10pack, but now you get 8.08 rolls of the old size... so that works out to about a 20% price increase
McNab

Post by McNab »

Similar with Daz XL washing powder I noticed the other day.

Old box £9 for 65 washes.
New box £12 for 80 washes.

33% more cost for 25% more content.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

McNab wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:41 am Similar with Daz XL washing powder I noticed the other day.

It has always been like that, since Noah was a lad. Mars bars are the classic, trimmed down a gram at a time, then bingo, new larger Mars bar at a price per gram that is waay above the old, slimmed down version. We are not supposed to notice.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

My Sena SRL2 Bluetooth unit, which was replaced about 6 months ago by Motolegends, is refusing to take a charge after a couple of weeks of of not being used....

Emailed Motolegends, who it must be said, are pretty good, to see if they can suggest anything. A quick Google seems to suggest a number of people have similar issues. :thumbdown:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

McNab wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:41 am Similar with Daz XL washing powder I noticed the other day.

It's similar to the big sings saying something is on offer if you buy two (or a certain size) - then you look at the price per kg and find that the normal pack is actually cheaper :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
David

Post by David »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:32 am

It has always been like that, since Noah was a lad. Mars bars are the classic, trimmed down a gram at a time, then bingo, new larger Mars bar at a price per gram that is waay above the old, slimmed down version. We are not supposed to notice.
They certainly have got expensive since i started buying them..and smaller.
They were 3d each and much bigger.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

eeeee when I was a lad, heh, jumpers for goal posts, mmmmm, wagons wheels as big as your head, different times
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Idiots on electric scooters. Cuts across the junction at night in front of me, no lights or reflective gear on, nearly runs pedestrian over and proceeds to hit wall instead. Stupid behaviour on pavement and road.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

As some of you may know, the company I work for in the summer has gone bust at the head office in Holland.
They haven't gone bust in France (Yet)

I didn't get paid for the last 6 weeks of work,
I won't get my travel expenses home paid,
I can't claim from the French gov for my missing wages because the company aren't bankrupt (yet).

I did a few days work for a friend of my parents. I spent a few hundred pounds on our hotel and various parts we needed. I haven't been paid yet.

I am trying to claim French 'dole'. But because the company didn't pay the accountants, I don't have the right paperwork.

I was supposed to be working for my brother this week. But another of my brothers "hasn't had time" to empty the room that he should never had access to in the first place (he's had 3 months). I offered to clear the room, "just £10 an hour". Idiot brother thinks I should move his things for free.

All this means that after a lucrative summer and having everything nicely in place. I'm now about 2 weeks off having to cash in investments to live.
However, at least I do have investments to cash, not everyone is so fortunate.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Being taken for a mug.

Being a lazy git, at around 11pm last night, I hailed a black cab at the top of East Smithfield, near Tower Bridge, and asked to go to London Bridge Station. Now, being a proper cock-er-nay geezer, with knowledge of the City having worked in it for years, I knew that a cheeky left over Tower Bridge, followed by a right into Tooley Street would bring me slap-bang outside the entrance.

For reasons I couldn't fathom, Mr. Taxi Driver went straight on and down Lower Thames Street. 'Which route you taking, mate?' I asked. The mumbled reply was that Tower Bridge was busy (which it wasn't) and that he couldn't turn right onto Tooley Street (being a licensed taxi, he can). Hence we took a lovely tour of that part of the City, including crossing Southwark Bridge and then the big loop back to London Bridge Station.

'£15.80' he chirpily informed me when we pulled up.

'No it ain't', said this wise old owl, 'It'll be £7 and you'll be bloody happy I don't report your badge to the PCO. Have a good night'.

Spoke to my mate who's been driving a taxi in the Smoke for a years this morning. He was livid and said I should report him on the basis that he's either incompetent or a rip-off merchant.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The 'gardener' next door. Every Friday, all day, brrrp brrp brmmm brrp brrrp bbrrrrm. In the name of all that's holy, why pay someone (he's actually supposed to be a landscaper) to use a leaf blower/strimmer all day long? You'd think he'd be minted by now and could afford a leaf blower and strimmer that a) don't stink the place out and b) don't need constant revving to keep going. He did it all through summer too so :angry-cussingblack: knows what he was blowing then...lawn clippings? :evil:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:35 pm The 'gardener' next door. Every Friday, all day, brrrp brrp brmmm brrp brrrp bbrrrrm. In the name of all that's holy, why pay someone (he's actually supposed to be a landscaper) to use a leaf blower/strimmer all day long? You'd think he'd be minted by now and could afford a leaf blower and strimmer that a) don't stink the place out and b) don't need constant revving to keep going. He did it all through summer too so :angry-cussingblack: knows what he was blowing then...lawn clippings? :evil:
In fairness... we don't have a 'huge' garden area but I could quite easily spend an entire day once a week strimming if I was minded* to keep the place "tidy", and if I had to be blowing leaves as well.... well....

* I'm not. ;) I had my fill of trying to keep a large garden "tidy" in my teens at my parents old house.
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm beyond pissed off with insurance companies.

A few weeks ago I was relieved to find a company to insure the monster so I could take it to somewhere to get a certificate to start the registration process.

After I filled in the form and paid two months premium the fukkers then came back and said that actually they can only insure once it's got French reg or proof that it's in process of that.

So, I have to get a CoC or certificate from DREAL (like VOSA) or a CoC from Ducati

To achieve either I have to ride it to one of those place to get it inspected so I can get a certificate

To ride it to one of those places I need insurance

But I can't get insurance until I have the certificate so I can start the registration process so that I can get the insurance

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

TBF, it's been snowing today (not settling on the roads), and the weekend is likely to be dry. But looks like the Monster won't go further than the garage that I can't get it out of until Spring cos I won't be able to ride it all winter anyway :roll: :roll:

Unless someone can get me a copy of a CoC for a '98 Monster that I can get 'adjusted' to show my bikes details so that I can start the process (My French friends have told me to do this but I have no idea how to get a CoC from the dark web - which is what two of them have told me to do!! If I see either of them anytime soon I'll be asking them to do the downloading for me!!!)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Stupid X Trail has just thrown an ECU light. It's got to last 4 months till the new car arrives and its determined to try spend as much money as possible.😡🤬
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:01 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:35 pm The 'gardener' next door. Every Friday, all day, brrrp brrp brmmm brrp brrrp bbrrrrm. In the name of all that's holy, why pay someone (he's actually supposed to be a landscaper) to use a leaf blower/strimmer all day long? You'd think he'd be minted by now and could afford a leaf blower and strimmer that a) don't stink the place out and b) don't need constant revving to keep going. He did it all through summer too so :angry-cussingblack: knows what he was blowing then...lawn clippings? :evil:
In fairness... we don't have a 'huge' garden area but I could quite easily spend an entire day once a week strimming if I was minded* to keep the place "tidy", and if I had to be blowing leaves as well.... well....

* I'm not. ;) I had my fill of trying to keep a large garden "tidy" in my teens at my parents old house.
The previous owners seemed to be happy jumping on the 'garden tractor' once a month and mowing the grass. The new people seem to have moved to the countryside on a mission to control it. (Filled in a v old, much neglected pond rather than renovate it, had a pair of cowboys with chainsaws 'tidying' the woodland. Fair play, they eventually told them to leave after 3 days of random branch lopping and ignoring the dead stuff :roll: ).

They have a few acres but everything seems to happen within about 10ft of my kitchen door..the fire bowl, the barbecue, the veg plot, the fairy lights in the trees, the 'security' lights doing semaphore all night long as every fox and badger wanders by...happily, after I protested that it was like sleeping in a disco they switched most of them off. Their wood shed used to light up like something from Close Encounters every 3 minutes at night. FFS if the countryside scares you, don't move there!

Ho hum. (They're quite nice really, but need to chill a bit :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:45 pm
Rockburner wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:01 pm

The previous owners seemed to be happy jumping on the 'garden tractor' once a month and mowing the grass. The new people seem to have moved to the countryside on a mission to control it. (Filled in a v old, much neglected pond rather than renovate it, had a pair of cowboys with chainsaws 'tidying' the woodland. Fair play, they eventually told them to leave after 3 days of random branch lopping and ignoring the dead stuff :roll: ).

They have a few acres but everything seems to happen within about 10ft of my kitchen door..the fire bowl, the barbecue, the veg plot, the fairy lights in the trees, the 'security' lights doing semaphore all night long as every fox and badger wanders by...happily, after I protested that it was like sleeping in a disco they switched most of them off. Their wood shed used to light up like something from Close Encounters every 3 minutes at night. FFS if the countryside scares you, don't move there!

Ho hum. (They're quite nice really, but need to chill a bit :D ).
Just wait a bit. Local dairy farmers will get complaints about cows mooing when they get separated from their calves, the vicar will be under pressure to stop church bells ringing, arable farmers will have complaints about fertilizer smells, and you will have complaints about the noise of your bike.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!