A right now thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: A right now thread

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:04 am
KungFooBob wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:26 am I just built an £80k one on the website...

For 5k deposit I could have it for 5 years at only £1185.74 a month.

Final payment only £40k... Not that you would, you'd enter into another PCP deal on a new one.

Personally I'd never do this, but plenty do.
You’d have paid c£70k and you’ll own nothing at the end of it.

I’m still planning to buy a new one, but with actual money. When I went into the showroom a couple of months ago the bloke was quite surprised that I was going to pay for it rather than put it on the never-never.

It’s an old fashioned notion, buying something with your own money, fortunately it’s currently still legal but he seemed genuinely unsure of the process of someone paying cash to buy a new car. He asked me a few times “So you’re actually going to pay for it in full?” before he seemed to get it :D
When i was looking for my car, the sales people seemed more interested in selling me a finance package than the car. Even trying to talk me out of paying for it myself explaining the benefits of financing it and keeping my own money etc. It was very clear that the days of "cash is king" are long gone.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:59 am
When i was looking for my car, the sales people seemed more interested in selling me a finance package than the car. Even trying to talk me out of paying for it myself explaining the benefits of financing it and keeping my own money etc. It was very clear that the days of "cash is king" are long gone.
I think they get commission from the finance houses, so they're incentivised to sell stuff to people that they can't afford.
And the banks make money from people overextending themselves.

Then every decade or so the whole thing falls over and everyone wonders how such a thing could happen.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:04 am
KungFooBob wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:26 am I just built an £80k one on the website...

For 5k deposit I could have it for 5 years at only £1185.74 a month.

Final payment only £40k... Not that you would, you'd enter into another PCP deal on a new one.

Personally I'd never do this, but plenty do.
You’d have paid c£70k and you’ll own nothing at the end of it.

I’m still planning to buy a new one, but with actual money. When I went into the showroom a couple of months ago the bloke was quite surprised that I was going to pay for it rather than put it on the never-never.

It’s an old fashioned notion, buying something with your own money, fortunately it’s currently still legal but he seemed genuinely unsure of the process of someone paying cash to buy a new car. He asked me a few times “So you’re actually going to pay for it in full?” before he seemed to get it :D
When you're in a car dealership here, a car has 2 prices.
Cash price and finance price. The finance price is about 15% cheaper.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:16 pm
I think they get commission from the finance houses, so they're incentivised to sell stuff to people that they can't afford.

Then every decade or so the whole thing falls over and everyone wonders how such a thing could happen.
Even when I was selling cars, it was the same. A % of the financed amount was commisoned back to us, so to upsell was always a good move. E.G. Bloke comes in for a £1500 banger and discuss his options of him using it as a deposit for a finance agreement and drive away a near new car. It worked often. But now it seems really rabid now and before i could look at some cars in dealerships they seemed to want to qualify I had the creditworthy ability or wherewithal to actually buy it. I walked out of 2 places because of it, Saxton 4x4 being the ones that did not seem to want to sell me the car unless I used one of their finance packages. I rang Jardine Motors in Reading to sort some details out before i even bothered to make the journey to view the car I ended up buying. Thankfully they did seem interested in shifting cars and as the sales manager said to me, we're not into museum pieces! :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

It used to be that you walked into a showroom full of expensive cars and they'd look you up and down to see if they thought you could afford one.
Now they're only interested in whether you're gullible enough to finance one because you can't afford one.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They must surely set the price on the assumption its gonna be financed? So the whole commercial decision for them is based on also flogging you some finance.

So yeah, I'm not surprised they CBA to effectively take a hit by selling you the car outright.

Maybe they should list a higher cash only price :lol:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Breathing a sigh of relief after UKPN restored 132/33kV Transformer 2 at ThreeBridges to service after it tripped this morning and also our staff fixing a 60year old 33kv circuit breaker on our HV network. This meant that we could restore our HV network back to its normal feeding(ish), I’m not sure Leatherhead would’ve fed the morning peak with the additional 19MW+ we were asking if it.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Welcoming the opportunity to not be soaking wet. The last 2 nights it’s rained while I’ve been trying to clear flood water around the motorway and the A1.
Sat in the car in the services, Maccys coffee, Netflix on, chilling and hoping it stays this way!!
Mick
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Sent readings to the Bishop for my installation service. Sorting out furniture for the vicarage. Need desks for wife and myself. Facebook market place has them aplenty, but wife is picky. I've found one local for £15 that ticks all my boxes. Desk = legs, right height and surface area and a colour I can ignore/cover/paint.

Also waiting to go to Ikea with wife as she wants/needs things for the school as they won't buy them... so it comes out of our pockets instead. Just our contribution to the education of the local youngsters.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:44 pm

Even when I was selling cars, it was the same. A % of the financed amount was commisoned back to us, so to upsell was always a good move. E.G. Bloke comes in for a £1500 banger and discuss his options of him using it as a deposit for a finance agreement and drive away a near new car. It worked often. But now it seems really rabid now and before i could look at some cars in dealerships they seemed to want to qualify I had the creditworthy ability or wherewithal to actually buy it. I walked out of 2 places because of it, Saxton 4x4 being the ones that did not seem to want to sell me the car unless I used one of their finance packages. I rang Jardine Motors in Reading to sort some details out before i even bothered to make the journey to view the car I ended up buying. Thankfully they did seem interested in shifting cars and as the sales manager said to me, we're not into museum pieces! :lol:
In April this year I bought an approved used (selekt) Volvo from a Volvo franchised dealer.

They didn't once mention finance. I paid a deposit on my debit card and they sent me details of where I had to transfer the cash to before I could pick it up the next weekend.

Not once did they ask how I was financing it. Maybe I just look cash money rich!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:29 am
Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:44 pm

In April this year I bought an approved used (selekt) Volvo from a Volvo franchised dealer.

They didn't once mention finance. I paid a deposit on my debit card and they sent me details of where I had to transfer the cash to before I could pick it up the next weekend.

Not once did they ask how I was financing it. Maybe I just look cash money rich!
Whereas I probably do look like a penniless oik! :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:29 am Maybe I just look cash money rich!
Like a drug baron...... :silent:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

My line manager left last week, now no one knows what to do with me. I fear a restructure coming on! :thumbdown: I'll find out at 3...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:53 pm My line manager left last week, now no one knows what to do with me. I fear a restructure coming on! :thumbdown: I'll find out at 3...
I'm golden! :thumbup: Phew! :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:35 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:53 pm My line manager left last week, now no one knows what to do with me. I fear a restructure coming on! :thumbdown: I'll find out at 3...
I'm golden! :thumbup: Phew! :D
Of course you are. They know how ruthless the RTTL kneecap squad is and once you sent up the beacon with your previous post the result was never in doubt.

RTTL. Here to serve, here to crack skulls, here to grind bones to make flour from those that would inconvenience our favoured sons. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
David

Post by David »

So, will I get this high powered job with Waitrose on tuesday?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

David wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:20 pm So, will I get this high powered job with Waitrose on tuesday?
Hmm. High powered? Sharon White isn't stepping down just yet. Patience, patience.

(Can get you a shelf stacking job meanwhile?).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
David

Post by David »

I suspect its nearer the shelf stacking bit than Ms Whites gig....
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

It's so quiet here at night that any sound carries.
A noise just started like one of them huge generators.
Walked round house n garden and looked over wall into building plot next door.
Nada

Went to road and there's a bloody Harley about 200 yards up the road ticking over, warming up.

Came back and it sounds really loud on the patio.
Thank fark he's just set off.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:27 pm It's so quiet here at night that any sound carries.
A noise just started like one of them huge generators.
Walked round house n garden and looked over wall into building plot next door.
Nada

Went to road and there's a bloody Harley about 200 yards up the road ticking over, warming up.

Came back and it sounds really loud on the patio.
Thank fark he's just set off.
Quiet! Quiet! :wtf: That'll all change when I move up the road. I'll be getting a band together, "Teguise Tai and the Taipanettes" and we'll be practicing regularly on the patio! :obscene-drinkingcheers: