In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Treadeager

Re: In todays news...

Post by Treadeager »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:00 pm Matter is energy. In the Universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person’s soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.
What ? Nothing to do with Brexit ??
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Yambo wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:15 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:00 pm Matter is energy. In the Universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person’s soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

Is orthodox Christianity what counts then?
Greek or Russian?

There’s the makings of a fite!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Monty Python. You little tinker. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Treadeager wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:16 pm
What ? Nothing to do with Brexit ??
I believe keeping it Brexity is one of the every day trivia that distracts one from self observation. Another major side line is getting a good degree.

Nice and Brexity.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:57 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:00 pm It's simple:
If your religion requires you to hate someone, you need a new religion (or none)
None of this is really about religion, in the true sense, it's about who gets to interpret and control that religion.
But within each of them, there are factions that 'know' how to interpret everything and they'll fight each other over gaining congregation/members because it becomes about power, control, wealth....it's all basically tribal/politics.
I think you and I agree. It is not about 'god', it is all about people controlling other people.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Potter

Post by Potter »

I know that Potter thinks he's the only person alive that knows anything about everything but I'll post a picture of one of our bookshelves re the history of the ME if anyone wants validation. (Yes, I've been to Israel).

It would be nice if other opinions were as well informed instead if just trotting out their existing prejudices....but this is a motorcycle forum....
It's a shame that you've only recently become an expert, I could have done with your support when I was trying to tackle the lies and prejudice in things like the world cup thread.

Onwards and upwards though.
100% nice and brexity :clap:
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:24 am
I know that Potter thinks he's the only person alive that knows anything about everything but I'll post a picture of one of our bookshelves re the history of the ME if anyone wants validation. (Yes, I've been to Israel).

It would be nice if other opinions were as well informed instead if just trotting out their existing prejudices....but this is a motorcycle forum....
It's a shame that you've only recently become an expert, I could have done with your support when I was trying to tackle the lies and prejudice in things like the world cup thread.

CS must be an extradinarily fast speed reader to have read bookshelves of books on the history of the ME in order to "recently become an expert" :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:52 am

CS must be an extradinarily fast speed reader to have read bookshelves of books on the history of the ME in order to "recently become an expert" :lol:

I reckon Richard Burton's 'Pilgrimage in Mecca and Medina' took a few months just on it's own. :D
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Brill, all we need now is someone that has read Bravo Two Zero and is now an expert on military intervention in the ME :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Meh. Real pros use Sven Hassel for reference.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:11 pm Meh. Real pros use Sven Hassel for reference.
I devoured those books as a kid, and I was gutted later to find out he was a fraud :(

I'm still having that I'm an expert in German military tactics after reading them though :lol:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:19 pm

I reckon Richard Burton's 'Pilgrimage in Mecca and Medina' took a few months just on it's own. :D
It's quite the walk after all.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:41 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:19 pm

It's quite the walk after all.
It got him away from Liz Taylor for a bit of a break though. :D
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:59 pm Brill, all we need now is someone that has read Bravo Two Zero and is now an expert on military intervention in the ME :D
No need for false modesty Potter, you're obviously speaking for yourself. 8-)
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:14 pm
gremlin wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:11 pm Meh. Real pros use Sven Hassel for reference.
I devoured those books as a kid, and I was gutted later to find out he was a fraud :(

I'm still having that I'm an expert in German military tactics after reading them though :lol:
A boy in my class stalled at the brothel scene and read it over and over. Never got to the next chapter. He’s probably rubbish at re-fighting Operation Barbarossa on internet forums now.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:14 pm
Potter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:14 pm

A boy in my class stalled at the brothel scene and read it over and over. Never got to the next chapter. He’s probably rubbish at re-fighting Operation Barbarossa on internet forums now.
To be fair, the original lot that started it weren't that good at fighting it either. He was probably better off in the brothel :D

I read Das Boot but it didn't make me an expert in submarine warfare...it made me never want to get on a submarine! (I can, however, wax lyrical on the use of Monte Carlo analysis for use in the the pattern of depth charge delivery, should anyone ever be in need. :thumbup: ).
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote:
(I can, however, wax lyrical on the use of Monte Carlo analysis for use in the the pattern of depth charge delivery, should anyone ever be in need. :thumbup: ).
IIRC one of the first successes of OR. And rather bad news for submarines.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

This is why I have nothing much to say about these types of wars, you can argue right and wrong but ultimately religion muddies the water so much that it's pointless.

It's interesting to hear unbiased and cogent opinion from folk who've studied these conflicts and their backgrounds (I was listening to an interesting podcast with Rory Stewart the other day, for example) but ultimately academic analysis means feck all to the people on the ground in the area who are born and will live and die in the surefire belief that their neighbour is evil and should burn in a fiery hell.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

irie wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:46 pm
Potter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:59 pm Brill, all we need now is someone that has read Bravo Two Zero and is now an expert on military intervention in the ME :D
No need for false modesty Potter, you're obviously speaking for yourself. 8-)
Have you ever been tested for autism?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:11 pm This is why I have nothing much to say about these types of wars, you can argue right and wrong but ultimately religion muddies the water so much that it's pointless.

It's interesting to hear unbiased and cogent opinion from folk who've studied these conflicts and their backgrounds (I was listening to an interesting podcast with Rory Stewart the other day, for example) but ultimately academic analysis means feck all to the people on the ground in the area who are born and will live and die in the surefire belief that their neighbour is evil and should burn in a fiery hell.
That's pretty much my point. Most of the people that suffer don't think their neighbour is evil and should burn in a fiery hell because of religion but because of what has been done to them. Yes, there are zealots but really they're not the majority. Sometimes, what's been done turns people into zealots but that's not where they started. It may be where they arrive and how they are recruited. Most (insert whoever is appropriate) just want to get on with their lives but when your family is getting blown to bits as a by-product of a power, money and control battle, sooner or later your kids will be out there throwing rocks or carrying shoulder launched projectiles etc and you'll have some more coffins.

To sit on the sidelines taking sides without the slightest attempt to understand why things are happening but comment based on existing prejudices is just a bit :( to me but that's the e-world innit. I decided to educate myself a while ago - soon after the 6 day war...as it happens. I just wondered why? So I started to read....and kept going. :D

I'm not claiming to be an expert. I'm just reasonably well informed. :thumbup:
Voltaire