General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ZRX61 »

They stopped for lunch about 11.30...

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Went down to my usual footy pub to watch the Man Utd game. It's always a good atmosphere. Until 6 nobheads came in demanding to watch the rugby.
The landlord put it on one telly with no sound. The whole next hour they screamed and shouted and calling out the the footy fans . Finally the owner chucked them out :D

I dislike rugby with a passion, but do realise that the world cup is on. But always found the intensity of the fans a bit of a giggle.

Anyway, we won :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Bustaspoke wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:22 pm
Bigger garage was one of the main reasons for me moving to where I'm at now.Man needs a mancave :thumbup:
That wasn't why we moved, but I wouldn't have bought our current place if it didn't have a double garage and workshop.

I can never understand these people that convert garages to spare living rooms. What sort of man needs an extra living room instead of a garage.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:17 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:19 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:57 pm Got the roofers in for some maint work. There's 7 of them up there, no sign of Snow White.
So what's up this time? I thought they'd sorted it. :eh:
Last time was repairs for a leak in the valley over the window in the family room. This time it's the rest of the roof on the back of the house. Lift all the tiles, repairs around the 5 skylights on the covered patio, replace felt & battens, replace tiles. Looks like they will be done by 5pm at the rate they're going, they showed up at 7.30 this morning.

This was last time:

This time:

Looks like you can jump from the roof into the pool! :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:31 am
Bustaspoke wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:22 pm
Bigger garage was one of the main reasons for me moving to where I'm at now.Man needs a mancave :thumbup:
That wasn't why we moved, but I wouldn't have bought our current place if it didn't have a double garage and workshop.

I can never understand these people that convert garages to spare living rooms. What sort of man needs an extra living room instead of a garage.
No man 'needs' an extra living room - but it seems many a man has a wife that believes 'they need' an extra living room :( :(

A friend converted her garage to a spare room (with shower!) but then, she has no interest in vehicles, but does have an interest in the extra spare room for visitors/AirBnB!!

Personally I want a place with a garage, but also a living room that is accessible to a motorbike - I mean, unless I can put a kitchenette in the garage and have space for a comfy chair from which to scowl at whatever mechanical thing is doing this :obscene-birdiedoublered: to me whilst I'm also ignoring it and watching tv, then I need to be able to work on said mechanical thing in the living room where I can op out and sulk but get back to it once calm - all without going so far away that I'm not going back till tomorrow!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I do realise I am a smidge odd for a girl :lol: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Took a drive to the Essex coast and enjoyed a dog walk and finished off with a drink in the glorious sunshine. What an unexpected, glorious sunny day!

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:39 pm Took a drive to the Essex coast and enjoyed a dog walk and finished off with a drink in the glorious sunshine. What an unexpected, glorious sunny day!

It has been an absolute beaut...especially after yesterday. The dawn was epic and the day has been :thumbup: Fingers crossed it's the same tomorrow as I'm 'boots on' and off into the hills.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:14 am Looks like you can jump from the roof into the pool! :D
Easily :)
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Also did the Essex coast bit (OK, only 15mins away!), had a wander around Tollesbury marina and nature reserve.
Skub

Post by Skub »

While I was out today I called with a mate who's in a care home. After I parked the bike at the entrance,there were a few of the residents sitting out enjoying the sunshine. I saw one chap in a wheelchair taking notice of the bike and as I walked towards the front door,I spoke to him. The old boy (Ernie) had a lifetime of enjoying motorcycles and owned a great many of the old British classics.It was great to see his face light up when relating the memories. He shook my hand and thanked me for coming to see him.

After seeing my mate,I left after an hour or so feeling blessed to be able to ride away on a sunny day,with the realisation that it'll all soon be memories of my own.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Short bimble on the mighty enfield, mate on crf 250 and another on a trident. Roads covered in shit, road closures on my favourite bits, hardly worth getting the bike dirty.

Plenty of bike's about though. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:29 pm Short bimble on the mighty enfield, mate on crf 250 and another on a trident. Roads covered in shit, road closures on my favourite bits, hardly worth getting the bike dirty.

I was in the car today but saw loads of bikes out, making the most of a sunny day. Lots of groups of same makes, BMWs, Tracers? various ages Suzuki sports bikes and some vintage bikes, nice XT500 but then i saw a bunch of motards caning it through the lanes, a couple hoisting the front wheel too! :thumbup: For a moment my tiny brain said buy another CCM.... :wtf: :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

Dodgy69 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:29 pm Short bimble on the mighty enfield, mate on crf 250 and another on a trident. Roads covered in shit, road closures on my favourite bits, hardly worth getting the bike dirty.

Days like that can be disappointing. Some of my favourite back roads are in a terrible state,both from farm muck and potholes,most days I don't even bother going that way now.
Walt Whitman
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Skub wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:52 pm

Days like that can be disappointing. Some of my favourite back roads are in a terrible state,both from farm muck and potholes,most days I don't even bother going that way now.
It's been a fine day here today but having been out on the rural roads around here in the past couple of days & having seen the amount of flooding and field wash that was around, I gave the bike a miss...
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Gone on holiday for a few days, to a warm island, with my PAWGy younger girlfriend.

Unfortunately I've come down with a quite nasty flu so am hardly able to do anything.
Skub

Post by Skub »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:14 pm Gone on holiday for a few days, to a warm island, with my PAWGy younger girlfriend.

Unfortunately I've come down with a quite nasty flu so am hardly able to do anything.
Karma for boasting about your young g/f. :P
Walt Whitman
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:14 pm Gone on holiday for a few days, to a warm island, with my PAWGy younger girlfriend.

Sheppey? :thumbup:
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Mrs S treated me to Sunday lunch at the Balmoral in Edinburgh to celebrate her getting the state pension.

A fantastic meal but being a 5 star hotel they know how to charge. Our second time there, the other time being for my birthday.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Scotsrich wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:39 pm Mrs S treated me to Sunday lunch at the Balmoral in Edinburgh to celebrate her getting the state pension.

A fantastic meal but being a 5 star hotel they know how to charge. Our second time there, the other time being for my birthday.
Almost worked there in the mid 90's. Up the bridge the Carlton Highland was offering more money but i got the tour of the kitchens and dinning rooms. Quite an impressive looking hotel :thumbup:
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Felix wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:55 pm
Scotsrich wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:39 pm Mrs S treated me to Sunday lunch at the Balmoral in Edinburgh to celebrate her getting the state pension.

Almost worked there in the mid 90's. Up the bridge the Carlton Highland was offering more money but i got the tour of the kitchens and dinning rooms. Quite an impressive looking hotel :thumbup:
We were chatting to the waiter (a young lad with a very posh accent) My wife was asking him about some of the dishes and how they were cooked. He said they were encouraged (or required I’m not sure) to know every ingredient that goes into everything on the menu.