Socks.... What an exciting one :D

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Socks.... What an exciting one :D

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:21 pm Spawn the elder takes commissions to knit socks. They know more about knitting, crochet and weaving than is usual.

Separate toed socks for the win, especially when worn with sandals, in a Roman soldier stylee.
I might agree about split toed socks with sandals if we're talking Japanese style tabi, they're quite cool. If we're talking 5-toed socks...I'm out. :lol:

V much in favour of knitting, crochet and weaving skills though. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

The speed and accuracy of their knitting without a pattern astounds me.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:53 am The speed and accuracy of their knitting without a pattern astounds me.
I could actually knit when I was a kid! Nothing more fancy than 'knit one, purl one' but my mum could knit, at speed, while watching TV. Fast enough to go 'clickety-click' :D We were all clad in home produced jumpers, which, as mine did after I'd managed to put holes in them, would be unravelled, balled up and the wool reused. Now it would cost x times the £ to make a woollen jumper rather than just buy one.
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

My missus knits jumpers, turns out really expensive unless it's for a small child or you use really cheap wool. And, other than the grandkids, nobody actually wears them, total waste of time.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My Mum knits stuff for the grandkids (not a stereotype at all). She's ended up making adult duplicates for Mrs D because the latter likes various kid's jumpers so much.

I find the whole process quite interesting from a tech point of view (very strong parallels with carbon fibre manufacture) but once the item is finished I basically don't care. :D
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:57 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:52 pm I used to like Pringle ones for every day - but the got bought by the Sock Shop , which is now a front for some extreme Chinese tat merchant.
In fact all the socks in TK Maxx and M&S seem to come from the same shoddy mills. They last about 3 months at the most.
I bought M&S socks for years but, like their shoes, they've gone down the tubes. (It may surprise some but their shoes actually used to be pretty good!).
Indeed their shoes used to be good esp when they did the collaboration with Jeffery West .
They are crap now - but like their suits
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

I'm wearing socks :banana-dance:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Thought I’d replied to this, I wear mainly these

DANISH ENDURANCE Light Outdoor Walking Socks, Hiking, Merino Wool

Have some of their smarter socks too but these I wear most days and out on mtb when dry, last well and very comfy as socks should be, thanks for making us realise how old and dull we’ve got 😃
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

cheb wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:15 pm M&S stopped doing 100% black cotton socks years ago. Socks are the only thing I buy from Amazon, I can't find anywhere that sells them at reasonable prices. I tend to shred them because I wear slightly loose work boots and have rough feet.

There's boring.
Luckily I have quite a few packets of unopened M&S 100% cotton black socks in my wardrobe from the many years my mother bought them for me at crimbo. I could probably open a M&S sock shop tbh. I will never need to buy anymore black socks for the rest of my days :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I got 10 pairs of DHB socks from Wiggle, they were reduced from £16.99 to £2.... They're actually perfect and will last me a good few years i suspect.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Amazon have a Black Friday offer on Danish Endurance socks (still spendy though).

I've had, and liked, 1000 Mile socks too.

Do cycling socks need any particular design features cf hiking socks? I'd guess that lots of underfoot cushioning would be a no-no for cycling?
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:51 am Amazon have a Black Friday offer on Danish Endurance socks (still spendy though).

I've had, and liked, 1000 Mile socks too.

Do cycling socks need any particular design features cf hiking socks? I'd guess that lots of underfoot cushioning would be a no-no for cycling?
Not really, they're just socks really. Toe area is thicker than mid-area... heel is thicker too... but essentially they're socks.

https://www.wiggle.com/p/dhb-aeron-tall ... navyprugna
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:51 am Do cycling socks need any particular design features cf hiking socks
According to the UCI they're not allowed to be aerodynamic devices, so watch out for that.

HTH.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Taipan wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:32 am Pantherella in Leicester.
AFF15 for a 10% discount code and their Xmas socks are on sale. Comedy gold! :thumbup:

https://www.pantherella.com/sale