In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Treadeager wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:35 pm Nothing , because the factions split upon his death
Not a completely robust argument when the person in question was a prophet.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Ah, we are finally getting to it. Religions, all of them, are about people controlling other people. Sky fairies, aka myths and legends, are just an excuse.

Any person who professes a faith is untrustworthy or deluded, or both.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
irie

Post by irie »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:19 pm
irie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:13 pm What's happening now is also part of the struggle for regional dominance between Saudi (Sunni) and Iran (Shia).

Between 85 and 90 percent of Saudi citizens are Sunni Muslims.

Between 90 and 95 percent of Iran citizens are Shia Muslims.
And Hamas are Sunni?
No, Hamas is Shia backed by Iran and is an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_Brotherhood

Also see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas_Charter
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Easy children, easy.

Let's not go all bonkers here hey. No one has stepped over any lines yet, but I can feel tension rising.

Take a breath before all of your next posts and remember the forum rules. Debate good, other stuff, not so good
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

My garage floor had puddles this morning. 😮
Yamaha rocket 3
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

weeksy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:55 pm Let's not go all bonkers here hey. No one has stepped over any lines yet, but I can feel tension rising.
Any person who professes a faith is untrustworthy or deluded, or both
That's not 'debate'.
Line crossed, for me, so TTFN.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yeah. Today's news. Let's argue religion.

Muppets.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:35 pm
irie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:13 pm What's happening now is also part of the struggle for regional dominance between Saudi (Sunni) and Iran (Shia).

Between 85 and 90 percent of Saudi citizens are Sunni Muslims.

Between 90 and 95 percent of Iran citizens are Shia Muslims.
And Hamas are Sunni?

Also see

From your link:
The Society of the Muslim Brothers (Arabic: جماعة الإخوان المسلمين Jamāʿat al-Ikhwān al-Muslimīn), better known as the Muslim Brotherhood (الإخوان المسلمون al-Ikhwān al-Muslimūn), is a transnational Sunni Islamist organization
Also Wiki:
Hamas (UK: /həˈmæs/, US: /həˈmɑːs/ ⓘ;[45] Arabic: حماس, romanized: Ḥamās, IPA: [ħaˈmaːs]),[46] officially the Islamic Resistance Movement (حركة المقاومة الإسلامية Ḥarakat al-Muqāwamah al-ʾIslāmiyyah), is a Sunni Islamist[47] political and military organization
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Kneerly Down wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:23 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:55 pm Let's not go all bonkers here hey. No one has stepped over any lines yet, but I can feel tension rising.
That's not 'debate'.
It is a valid opinion. Mine. Sorry to see you go.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

That's not 'debate'.
I suppose it’s not debate any more, once some schoolgirl storms off in a monumental moodie.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Yorick wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:03 pm Yeah. Today's news. Let's argue religion.

Muppets.
You dont have to read it. (Hic)
Felix

Post by Felix »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:21 pm
That's not 'debate'.
It is a valid opinion. Mine. Sorry to see you go.
I dont mind folk having a faith. If having something they believe in what makes them feel better in life or lead a better life then great. Knock yourself out. Its not for me so dont try and push it on me (Ex Priest in the street) as that pisses me off.
irie

Post by irie »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:14 pm
irie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:35 pm

And Hamas are Sunni?

Also see

From your link:
The Society of the Muslim Brothers (Arabic: جماعة الإخوان المسلمين Jamāʿat al-Ikhwān al-Muslimīn), better known as the Muslim Brotherhood (الإخوان المسلمون al-Ikhwān al-Muslimūn), is a transnational Sunni Islamist organization
Also Wiki:
Hamas (UK: /həˈmæs/, US: /həˈmɑːs/ ⓘ;[45] Arabic: حماس, romanized: Ḥamās, IPA: [ħaˈmaːs]),[46] officially the Islamic Resistance Movement (حركة المقاومة الإسلامية Ḥarakat al-Muqāwamah al-ʾIslāmiyyah), is a Sunni Islamist[47] political and military organization
You're right of course, it's Hezbollah which is Shia. But Hamas is supported by Iran which is Shia, you couldn't make it up - perfect example of my enemies enemy being my friend. They are united in wanting to destroy the greater enemy, Israel, then after that turn on and try to destroy each other.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Potter

Post by Potter »

irie wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:41 am
You're right of course, it's Hezbollah which is Shia. But Hamas is supported by Iran which is Shia, you couldn't make it up...
But you did just make it up :lol:

You made up some narrative about a picture that you didn't understand and now you're making up a regional narrative after skim-reading a wiki page and thinking you know something which you don't :lol:

Just stop now.

In fact I think it's time the Mods locked this again, the amount of nonsense being talked is off the scale.
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:56 am
irie wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:41 am
You're right of course, it's Hezbollah which is Shia. But Hamas is supported by Iran which is Shia, you couldn't make it up...
But you did just make it up :lol:
No, I was mistaken and fessed up. Not rocket science.

Oh. :lol:
Last edited by irie on Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:56 am In fact I think it's time the Mods locked this again, the amount of nonsense being talked is off the scale.
That's not how it works.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

It's simple:
If your religion requires you to hate someone, you need a new religion (or none)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:00 pm It's simple:
If your religion requires you to hate someone, you need a new religion (or none)
None of this is really about religion, in the true sense, it's about who gets to interpret and control that religion. Like this:

There are five divine guidelines that the Qur'an clearly presents to Muslims for building tolerance and understanding among differing religions. Everyone's God-given human dignity must be respected, regardless of his or her faith, race, ethnic origin, gender, or social status (ref. Qur'an, 17:70).

...and this..

Western Christian views
Maximal forms of religious pluralism claim that all religions are equally true, or they claim that one religion can be true for some people and another religion can be true for others.

But within each of them, there are factions that 'know' how to interpret everything and they'll fight each other over gaining congregation/members because it becomes about power, control, wealth....it's all basically tribal/politics. Sunni/Shia, CoE/Catholics etc etc. Even within Israeli Jews you have factions, Hassidi, Sephardi, Ashkenazi etc. Just like NI, none of this is actually really about religion, it's about power, control and money.

I mentioned up there ^^^ that there are young Israelis (I think I used the term 'ethnic Israelis') that are pissed off with what's happening. I didn't refer to it as a 'Oh, I've read somewhere that....' I actually have hours of digital recordings of telephone discussions with young, professional Israelis and whoo, do they moan. None of them complain about the Palestinians but they all moan about stuff like the government and military service and those that don't have to do it. Lots of them want to leave but feel they've dropped behind on their experience because of military service and can't compete equally in other markets.

I know that Potter thinks he's the only person alive that knows anything about everything but I'll post a picture of one of our bookshelves re the history of the ME if anyone wants validation. (Yes, I've been to Israel).

It would be nice if other opinions were as well informed instead if just trotting out their existing prejudices....but this is a motorcycle forum....
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Matter is energy. In the Universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person’s soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:00 pm Matter is energy. In the Universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person’s soul. However, this soul does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

Is orthodox Christianity what counts then?