In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Docca

Re: In todays news...

Post by Docca »

Just catching up:

- I think constraint is key. We’ve already had established that even direct reports from mates who are journalists re: baby beheadings are not true.

-I do believe Hamas attacked Israel. I’m not sighted on the extent of the attacks.

-I am not pro-Hamas nor am I making a play for terrorism. There is the old adage though: one man’s terrors is another man’s freedom fighter. Wasn’t Nelson Mandela on the US’s most nasty terrorist bastard list until the mid ‘80s?

- I am pro Palestine in so much as I disagree entirely with the Zionist land-grab of the state of Israel.

-I am suspicious of the motives of Israel and how many civilians are going to die. Every bit of fake news/baby beheading that feeds into generating sympathy for mass genocide is overwhelmingly alarming.

-I’m not surprised by people who believe what is spoon fed to them through the main media outlets and don’t apply critical thinking to what they’re being told.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Docca wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:12 pm -I’m not surprised by people who believe what is spoon fed to them through the main media outlets and don’t apply critical thinking to what they’re being told.
Nothing to do with Israel, but I do feel like we've gone full circle inception on this attitude now :D Everyone has been told to not believe everything they're told and now nothing is to be believed, mostly because of what we've all been told.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Docca wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:12 pm
Wasn’t Nelson Mandela on the US’s most nasty terrorist bastard list until the mid ‘80s?
Go a bit further back and you'll find Britain thought much the same about the Stern Gang/Lehi and Irgun.

It was ever thus. History often means looking back with the telescope used the wrong way round...atrocities are made to look smaller.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:40 pm
Docca wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:12 pm
Wasn’t Nelson Mandela on the US’s most nasty terrorist bastard list until the mid ‘80s?
Go a bit further back and you'll find Britain thought much the same about the Stern Gang/Lehi and Irgun.

It was ever thus. History often means looking back with the telescope used the wrong way round...atrocities are made to look smaller.
And indeed Menachem Begin......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menachem_Begin
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Docca wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:12 pm I disagree entirely with the Zionist land-grab of the state of Israel.
What would you like to see done about that?
Docca

Post by Docca »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:19 pm
Docca wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:12 pm I disagree entirely with the Zionist land-grab of the state of Israel.
It’s too late, Jacky. There is a good graphic somewhere showing the gradual reduction in the size of Palenstine - I would have preferred for that not to have progressed

Although through your style of questioning, I’d suggest you have a view.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Docca wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:26 pm
It’s too late, Jacky. There is a good graphic somewhere showing the gradual reduction in the size of Palenstine - I would have preferred for that not to have progressed

We’d all prefer that lots of things hadn’t happened.

Today’s problems can only be addressed from now onwards.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:32 pm

So, what would you like to see done in the future?
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:42 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:32 pm

So, what would you like to see done in the future?
I’m a bit baffled and somewhat pessimistic.

I expect we’d all like to see Palestine (even if it’s called Israel) be a respectable country, where people have equal rights and Arabs are not evicted or generally bullied. That may sound naive, but what other goal can there be? That one side or the other should disappear? I don’t think the Israelis will exterminate the Palestinians and the Palestinians fall a very long way short of being capable of exterminating the Jews.

Every event that reaches the news seems to deflect the course of history away from any settled, happy situation. The Moslems kill some Jews, the Jews smite them back and go further into a fortress mentality.
irie

Post by irie »

What's happening now is also part of the struggle for regional dominance between Saudi (Sunni) and Iran (Shia).

Between 85 and 90 percent of Saudi citizens are Sunni Muslims.

Between 90 and 95 percent of Iran citizens are Shia Muslims.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:13 pm What's happening now is also part of the struggle for regional dominance between Saudi (Sunni) and Iran (Shia).

And Hamas are Sunni?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:13 pm What's happening now is also part of the struggle for regional dominance between Saudi (Sunni) and Iran (Shia).

You are aware, of course, of the divisions in the Israeli Jewish population too. The Hassidim, the Sephardis and the Ashkenazis for example? There are many 'ethnic' Israelis that aren't happy with the fact that their government isn't errm..local people by origin and resent having to do national service (and that some don't have to) but a common enemy helps keep it all together. It's complicated. No doubt you have a solution.
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:31 pm No doubt you have a solution.
The person with the solution should tell it to someone more important than us.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:06 pm I expect we’d all like to see Palestine (even if it’s called Israel) be a respectable country, where people have equal rights and Arabs are not evicted or generally bullied. That may sound naive, but what other goal can there be? That one side or the other should disappear? I don’t think the Israelis will exterminate the Palestinians and the Palestinians fall a very long way short of being capable of exterminating the Jews.
Pretty sure Soloman, he of Judging fame, was Jewish right? He might even appear in Islamic scripture, I dunno.

More people should know about his story I guess.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:31 pm You are aware, of course, of the divisions in the Israeli Jewish population too. The Hassidim, the Sephardis and the Ashkenazis for example? There are many 'ethnic' Israelis that aren't happy with the fact that their government isn't errm..local people by origin and resent having to do national service (and that some don't have to) but a common enemy helps keep it all together. It's complicated. No doubt you have a solution.
We just had a group calling themselves "Jews for a ceasefire" take over part of a US Govt building in DC... & US media described them as "Pro-Palestinian demonstrators"...
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:50 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:31 pm No doubt you have a solution.
The person with the solution should tell it to someone more important than us.
Amen.

But everyone on social media seems to know the answer. Or they just pick sides without knowing anything about history, the Middle East, politics, or indeed Israel/Palestine. None of which is intended as an excuse for what Hamas just did but frankly if people know nothing about history - including Nablus and Deir Yassin maybe they should clam up.
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:31 pm

You are aware, of course, of the divisions in the Israeli Jewish population too. The Hassidim, the Sephardis and the Ashkenazis for example? There are many 'ethnic' Israelis that aren't happy with the fact that their government isn't errm..local people by origin and resent having to do national service (and that some don't have to) but a common enemy helps keep it all together. It's complicated. No doubt you have a solution.
I am aware of the divisions, and especially how the fundamentalists drive the Zionist agenda.

As for solutions, I see none other than (messy) compromises which will merely kick the problem into the future.

Religions are cults.

They'll kill each other rather than compromise because each party has their own particular brand of sky fairy on their side,

I'm an atheist as you might by now have guessed.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

What did Mahomed have to say about genocide between Islam factions?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:19 pm

Probably the same thing that the Catholic god had to say about genocide of other Christians or others yet to enter the faith. Your point is?
Voltaire
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Nothing , because the factions split upon his death ( I believe.. or rather I don't ) . One half wanted to follow his teachings , the other wanted his family to run the show )