In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Hot_Air

Re: In todays news...

Post by Hot_Air »

Docca wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:15 am
Hot_Air wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:56 am
Docca wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:27 am Has the baby-cutting been validated?
Sadly, the atrocities by Hamas are real. I know well one of the journalists who is out there and has seen things first-hand.
So, not validated then?
I was chatting with him via a video call on scene. That was adequate validation for me.

Like most people, I am deeply saddened and horrified by innocent people suffering on both sides.
irie

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:15 am
Hot_Air wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:56 am
Docca wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:27 am Has the baby-cutting been validated?
Sadly, the atrocities by Hamas are real. I know well one of the journalists who is out there and has seen things first-hand.
So, not validated then?

With respect

What I find interesting is that in an age where every single atrocity will have someone filming , even grainy footage- we’re a bit fuzzy on the details. Straight for the ‘baby’s and kittens are killed’ - which is awful and rightly provoked outrage

Also interesting how Israel have sponsored ads on X running pro-Israel propaganda

It’s all a mess. Maybe that’s world war 4 happening, one conflict at a time until we’re all ripping each other to shreds.

Religion though? Nobody should be dying over anything really, but especially that nonsense.
Please specify what evidence would satisfy you that atrocities have been committed?
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Vitually all wars contain attrocities, war is a nasty messy business, and good guys who follow all the rules don't win. But the winners write history, so the bad bits get edited out.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

New age, new war, new rules innit? Churchill and every bemedaled WW2 allied bomber crew would be tried for war crimes under today's rules. You weren't scatter bombing cities with civilians having their tea, they were all little physical embodiments of old one-ball himself.

Historically Britain has been relatively safe from neighbouring attacks because of a massive tract of water, and can therefore (and still is) able to slightly pompously wax lyrical about the rules whilst not having to be being attacked repeatedly by the bloke next door.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:06 pm New age, new war, new rules innit? Churchill and every bemedaled WW2 allied bomber crew would be tried for war crimes under today's rules. You weren't scatter bombing cities with civilians having their tea, they were all little physical embodiments of old one-ball himself.

Historically Britain has been relatively safe from neighbouring attacks because of a massive tract of water, and can therefore (and still is) able to slightly pompously wax lyrical about the rules whilst not having to be being attacked repeatedly by the bloke next door.
When we were attacked by the 'bloke almost next door' in what is now described as an 'asymmetric' fashion - ie the IRA - it does seem like the equivalent to what's currently going on would have been carpet bombing chunks of Belfast to root out the terrorists though. In the end it wasn't military action that evolved into an uneasy peace, it was mainly political and having the will to resolve the problem rather than exacerbate and sustain it. Something that seems lacking currently. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:03 pm
DefTrap wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:06 pm New age, new war, new rules innit? Churchill and every bemedaled WW2 allied bomber crew would be tried for war crimes under today's rules. You weren't scatter bombing cities with civilians having their tea, they were all little physical embodiments of old one-ball himself.

When we were attacked by the 'bloke almost next door' in what is now described as an 'asymmetric' fashion - ie the IRA - it does seem like the equivalent to what's currently going on would have been carpet bombing chunks of Belfast to root out the terrorists though. In the end it wasn't military action that evolved into an uneasy peace, it was mainly political and having the will to resolve the problem rather than exacerbate and sustain it. Something that seems lacking currently. :(

I'd suggest that the only reason Sinn Fein/IRA came to the negotiating table is that they were beaten 'militarily'. Of course, they could still make a nuisance of themselves ("They haven't gone away you know!") but were incapable of any real protracted campaign. However, there's no real comparison with what is going on in the Middle East.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The IRA did have help from Gadalfi, but not on the scale that Hamas gets from Iran. And Iran wants to wipe out Israel, in fact Iran seems to want to wipe out everyone except their own brand of Islam
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:31 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:03 pm

I'd suggest that the only reason Sinn Fein/IRA came to the negotiating table is that they were beaten 'militarily'. Of course, they could still make a nuisance of themselves ("They haven't gone away you know!") but were incapable of any real protracted campaign. However, there's no real comparison with what is going on in the Middle East.
I should have said it wasn't 'just military action' of course although it probably helped with IRA recruitment. I'm interested in why you think the 'Irish question' is so different though. An occupied land handed over to a minority with the disposessed getting external support etc. Why is there no real comparison?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Docca

Post by Docca »

irie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:17 pm

Please specify what evidence would satisfy you that atrocities have been committed?

Please specify what amount of evidence you’d need to validate a retaliatory response that is going to murder thousands of innocent people?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Docca wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:39 pm

Please specify what amount of evidence you’d need to validate a retaliatory response that is going to murder thousands of innocent people?
What would you be doing now, if you were the Israeli government?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I know whar I would have been doing as a teenager if I had spent a lifetime being controlled by Israel It wouldnt make it right, but it would be inevitable. A cornered rat will attack a much larger dog.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:19 pm I know whar I would have been doing as a teenager if I had spent a lifetime being controlled by Israel It wouldnt make it right, but it would be inevitable. A cornered rat will attack a much larger dog.
OK, but if you don’t like what Israel is doing (am I wrong to assume you don’t?), what would you do right now, were you in their place?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Firebomb Dresden, or maybe nuke Hiroshima. No wait, I'd shoot all those blue people on Pandora.
irie

Post by irie »

Answering a question with a question speaks for itself.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:37 pm
Who told you that?
David

Post by David »

Wasn't me was it?
Docca

Post by Docca »

irie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:37 pm

It was a challenge to you that I was the one that needed evidence. I’m not, but if I was considering a response that will wipe out thousands of innocent people I’d want to ensure the response was justified and proportionate. You sound as though you don’t need these standards and would just windmill in - although that’s my own assumption because as usual, you never ever qualify your point.

Jacky- I’d want the proof to be irrefutable before considering my next steps. I think that’s reasonable and is what I’d expect of any country. You did say Israel though and I’m not sure they have a track record of being reasonable.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Docca wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:04 pm
Jacky- I’d want the proof to be irrefutable before considering my next steps. I think that’s reasonable and is what I’d expect of any country. You did say Israel though and I’m not sure they have a track record of being reasonable.

Irrefutable proof of what?

Are you seriously disputing that the Hamas guys entered Israel and killed and kidnapped people?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

On the beheading issue:
Every US media channel (except Fox) has now walked back the claims & even trotted out a senior IDF wallah who stated there's no evidence it happened.

In other news, Burisma Biden is off the Israel tomorrow where he will no doubt claim that he knows how Israeli's feel because he once had a bottle rocket go awry which resulted in his dogs tennis ball being lightly singed.
irie

Post by irie »

JackyJoll wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:27 pm
Docca wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:04 pm
Irrefutable proof of what?

Are you seriously disputing that the Hamas guys entered Israel and killed and kidnapped people?
This ^^^