In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: In todays news...

Post by demographic »

Noggin wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:56 pm The reason I unliked it is that I reread this bit -
To the kind of numbers where it seems that if someone claims never to bave seen it theyre either a liar, involved in doing it or the kind of person who never looks at any information that shows the people who pay them in a bad light. Or all of the above.
I'm guessing you quoted it from somewhere? But, it's an incredible generalisation. Given the numbers of women in the forces (certainly pre the last few years, I really don't know the ratio, but I know it was much lower numbers of women to men for most of the time my male friends served), I would suggest that an huge number of men would not have seen any kind of bullying/discrimination. Not because they are part of it, ignoring it or whatever, but because it wasn't happening where they were.

There's a lot of 'pushing around' in the military (from what friends have said over the years) and this could be bullying in some ways but over all that is across the board. The sexual harassment/offences less so - but when it happens, it's bad because of the way (mostly) women feel or felt that they couldn't report it.

But to tar all serviceMEN with the same sentence as above, that's pretty shabby

(I'm sure I haven't written things exactly right, but I've tried not to piss anyone off !!!)
It's not a quote, I said it.

I just don't see how you get to the kind of numbers presented in that article without a serious amount of people (mostly just) looking the other way.

A bit like when the Catholic church was in the news every few weeks with a fresh scandal about child abuse, lthere must have been a shitload of the looking the other way (at the very least and I think I'm being quite charitable saying that) cos if there were as many binmen getting caught then nobody would let their kids outdoors every second Tuesday morning.

Yeah, the older members likely weren't really in regular working contact with women, plus the ones in Kenya were likely too busy chopping the balls off Mao Mao rebels but thats a historical abuse discussion for another day.
Potter

Post by Potter »

demographic wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:44 am
It's not a quote, I said it.

I just don't see how you get to the kind of numbers presented in that article without a serious amount of people (mostly just) looking the other way.

A bit like when the Catholic church was in the news every few weeks with a fresh scandal about child abuse, lthere must have been a shitload of the looking the other way (at the very least and I think I'm being quite charitable saying that) cos if there were as many binmen getting caught then nobody would let their kids outdoors every second Tuesday morning.

Yeah, the older members likely weren't really in regular working contact with women, plus the ones in Kenya were likely too busy chopping the balls off Mao Mao rebels but thats a historical abuse discussion for another day.
You do show a startling lack of emotional intelligence sometimes.

Sexual abuse is most often not a public event, the majority of these types of abusers are secretive and by their very nature crimes of a sexual matter are usually coercive and underground. You could just as easily accuse the victim of not being loud enough when reporting it - they often don't report it at all because of the nature of the crime, how it was committed and often how the abuser makes the victim feel.

So it's not a surprise to me to find that these types of things are often going on right under peoples noses but they simply don't see them, the abuser is too crafty and the victim too ashamed.

This isn't intended to suggest there isn't a problem, for all I know every second bloke in the army or on a building site is a secretive nonce or abuser, but surely you can see why the abuser might go to great lengths to hide his crimes, and perhaps be successful in many cases.

I don't know what kind of company you keep or what passes for being ok where you live, but I don't think I have any friends that would turn the other cheek whilst abuse was happening, they'd probably violently assault you rather than even risk being accused of it.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Is the Gaza/Israel business just getting you lot down, the way it gets me down?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:16 pm Is the Gaza/Israel business just getting you lot down, the way it gets me down?
Nope.
I'd heard there was a kerfuffle today / yesterday but I haven't listened / watched the 'news' today so no idea what has or hasn't kicked off
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:32 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:16 pm Is the Gaza/Israel business just getting you lot down, the way it gets me down?
Nope.
I'd heard there was a kerfuffle today / yesterday but I haven't listened / watched the 'news' today so no idea what has or hasn't kicked off
I think you won’t be able to avoid hearing about it for all that long.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Major intelligence FUBAR by the Israeli security services not to have seen an incursion this big coming.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Felix

Post by Felix »

Does it mean we get more refugees?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Felix wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:38 pm Does it mean we get more refugees?
Probably not, unless it spreads to Syria.
irie

Post by irie »

Israel was created in 1948 in the Middle East in land that had been Arab/Islamic for hundreds of years. What could possibly go wrong?
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:24 pm Israel was created in 1948 in the Middle East in land that had been Arab/Islamic for hundreds of years. What could possibly go wrong?
Do you think Hamas are doing the right thing?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:34 pm
irie wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:24 pm Israel was created in 1948 in the Middle East in land that had been Arab/Islamic for hundreds of years. What could possibly go wrong?
Do you think Israel are doing the right thing, they started it.
Honda Owner
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:10 pm
I watched a Jeremy Bowen documentary on the Arab/Israeli conflict and at one point you had a Jew and an Arab arguing over who’s land it was and they went back to before Moses over who had it first so you’ll never get an agreement between the two groups, sadly, they’ll be fighting this conflict till then end of time.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
irie

Post by irie »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:04 am... arguing over who’s land it was and they went back to before Moses over who had it first so you’ll never get an agreement between the two groups, sadly, they’ll be fighting this conflict till then end of time.
This.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Israel will do loads of damage and kill loads of people in Gaza. That’s not a “right thing,” but Hamas must have wanted or at least expected it.

What do you think should happen long term?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:04 am

I watched a Jeremy Bowen documentary
2dtvjq.jpg
2dtvjq.jpg (94 KiB) Viewed 409 times
dern

Post by dern »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:38 am

Israel will do loads of damage and kill loads of people in Gaza. That’s not a “right thing,” but Hamas must have wanted or at least expected it.

What do you think should happen long term?
There is no solution. As has been said, the state of Israel only came about after the Second World War and the area was partitioned. The Palestinians have had their freedoms significantly curtailed since then. Israelis regularly settle on land that does not belong to them and Palestinians are regularly and frequently killed. As with any apartheid or oppressive system, it’s always a matter of when it flares up, not if. Israel frequently employs the cry of anti semitism for critics of Israel which electively scares governments like the uk and the us from standing up to them even though the number of human rights condensations raised by the United Nations equals the country specific condemnations for every other country in the world added together.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

We had the UN Israeli ambassador on TV this morning talking about Palestinians & sounding a lot like the way Nazi's talked about Jews... & sounding similar to Hilary Clinton's recent comments about Republicans.

I'm not entirely convinced that Israel's intelligence services didn't see this coming... & there's no fucking way the Hamas attack can be described as *unprovoked*.
US media in full propaganda mode & EVERY station is showing the 3 large buildings in Gaza being destroyed while talking about the rockets coming out of Gaza, trying to make it appear this was part of the Hamas attack & not the Israeli response.
dern

Post by dern »

Bravaman now equating hamas and Palestinian support with anti semitism. Same old shit.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

dern wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:05 pm Bravaman now equating hamas and Palestinian support with anti semitism. Same old shit.
Well, there may be some connections.
dern

Post by dern »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:16 pm
dern wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:05 pm Bravaman now equating hamas and Palestinian support with anti semitism. Same old shit.
Well, there may be some connections.
Explain why you think that. The Palestinians don’t hate Israelis because they’re Jewish, they hate them because they curtail their freedoms and steal their land. Anti semites won’t be especially active because of this. Far right parties are active all the time and yet Jewish people don’t get this protection all the time. The government don’t crack down on far right activity or demonstrations.