The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Potter »

My things are fit for purpose.

I was doing meetings with chaps in India and the ME, so the dual time zone on my watch helps me remember what time it is - I always thought this was a bit gimmicky but I made a mistake a couple of weeks ago and got the wrong time for an important meeting, so now if I'm hopping backwards and forwards I have been throwing a dual time watch on so I don't do it again. Maybe I'm just getting old and dull minded :(
Most people won't even know what the Explorer is, so I can move through London, Birmingham, Manchester, etc, without being stabbed for it.

And the Apple thing means that all my devices talk seamlessly, so I don't have to fanny about.

And mainly tbh because work give me the latest Apple suite of products every year.
Last edited by Potter on Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:58 pm On public transport, in faded blue jeans, showing off an old Rolex! :P
I needed to fit in, I'd get too much attention in Birmingham wearing a suit, Burberry Trench and nice shoes, even in first class ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

GMT watches in my mind are always linked with Pilots, guys in sharply pressed uniforms and cool Ray Bans who don't look they're trying to be cool in Ray Bans, Pan Am, TWA, BOAC et al and posters like this...

Then along comes Iccy and ruins it. Ruins :( He's on the train FFS! Bet he's got a beard.

Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:02 am GMT watches in my mind are always linked with Pilots, guys in sharply pressed uniforms and cool Ray Bans...
I'm sorry to shatter your homoerotic fantasies :lol:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well maybe not....about that beard? I can maybe accommodate.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Shaved it off years ago, I grew a temporary one during covid but then didn't everyone?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I started my current job in September 2020, which means my ID and online profile etc. will forever have my lockdown hair and beard :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:46 am Shaved it off years ago, I grew a temporary one during covid but then didn't everyone?
Nope. I went back to using my Edwin Jagger kit - badger bristle brush, soap in a dish and razor with a razor blade in (blades made in Turkey these days) and lathered up.

(TBH you get a better shave with a 3 blade razor but the process/ritual is nice and there's less waste plastic :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Was rabbit-holing on YT a couple of days ago & stumbled upon this...It appeals to my Kawasaki fetish...A tad spendy at $185,000...

https://watchesbysjx.com/2021/02/grand- ... gd207.html

The blue version is $260,000....
https://grandseikoboutique.us/products/ ... ay-sbgd213

Green one is fairly common, they made 15, blue is a bit rarer, there are 5
Potter

Post by Potter »

I've got the new iWatch 9 and I bought a single latex band for it today, not sure if I'd recommend it tbh, you're supposed to buy it on the snug size and they give after a while, but it's just about snug enough to irritate me atm.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:18 pm I've got the new iWatch 9 and I bought a single latex band for it today, not sure if I'd recommend it tbh, you're supposed to buy it on the snug size and they give after a while, but it's just about snug enough to irritate me atm.
I just upgraded my apple watch. After wasting money on a couple of straps I finally settled on a Nereides one.

https://tinyurl.com/yrnh8kw8

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Speaking of YouTube rabbit holes.

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:43 am
I just upgraded my apple watch. After wasting money on a couple of straps I finally settled on a Nereides one.
S'what I've got on my Sammy in tasteful orange, sooooo much more comfortable that a silicone strap
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I keep looking at the apple watches, they seem to be a useful tool, especially matched with a phone.

BUT - they are all so damn huge!!! :( :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:43 am
Potter wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:18 pm I've got the new iWatch 9 and I bought a single latex band for it today, not sure if I'd recommend it tbh, you're supposed to buy it on the snug size and they give after a while, but it's just about snug enough to irritate me atm.

They look alright.
I have the silicone band because I'm mainly wearing it for training and I sweat like mad running/training in hot climates, with the silicone band I can jump in the pool or rinse it off under the tap and I'm good to go, a cloth strap would be wet for hours.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I had to stop with leather watch straps as sweat kills them in 6 months.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've just seen an advert on Friendface for Code 41.

It says they're a Swiss startup... normally the adverts on FB are for stuff that looks premium coming out of the PRC.

Anyone know anything about them?

I kinda like this and the price is high, but not premium brand high.

https://shop.code41.com/en/customize?pr ... BL-DEP2-BK
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:28 pm I've just seen an advert on Friendface for Code 41.

It says they're a Swiss startup... normally the adverts on FB are for stuff that looks premium coming out of the PRC.

Anyone know anything about them?

I kinda like this and the price is high, but not premium brand high.

https://shop.code41.com/en/customize?pr ... BL-DEP2-BK
It looks pretty standard for that price point, probably comparable to something from Bell & Ross, Oris, Sinn or a Tag at that price.
It has a Sellita movement (which google says costs about £200) and the rest is paying for the design, which isn't a bad thing I suppose, most watch makers must charge a lot more than it costs to make, and many buy in their movements, the Sellita movements (from what I read, especially this one) are basically ETA clones, I had a £4k IWC with a Sellita movement, it was accurate to a few seconds a day.

I don't like the design though.
And personally I always feel a bit cheated if I've paid thousands for something with a generic movement, it's like buying a nice motorbike and finding that it has a cheap Chinese engine.

But I think with any watch if you try to break it down into some sort of value proposition then they will fall down quickly, because at any price point the component parts rarely add up to justify the price. With the more expensive ones you can claim an in-house movement, but you're still paying a lot for the brand.

Personally I'd try and stretch to a Tudor 39mm Titanium Pelagos, it's a nice watch, IMHO every bit as nice as a Rolex Sub but much lighter and more exotic because of the titanium, I've had one on my wrist, but they're about £4k so double the price of that one you linked to.

I'm waiting for a titanium Yachtmaster, but they're very limited release and only going to the really big high rollers at the moment, I'll have to wait a couple of years.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Potter wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:57 am
It looks pretty standard for that price point, probably comparable to something from Bell & Ross, Oris, Sinn or a Tag at that price.
It has a Sellita movement (which google says costs about £200) and the rest is paying for the design, which isn't a bad thing I suppose, most watch makers must charge a lot more than it costs to make, and many buy in their movements, the Sellita movements (from what I read, especially this one) are basically ETA clones, I had a £4k IWC with a Sellita movement, it was accurate to a few seconds a day.

I don't like the design though.
And personally I always feel a bit cheated if I've paid thousands for something with a generic movement, it's like buying a nice motorbike and finding that it has a cheap Chinese engine.

But I think with any watch if you try to break it down into some sort of value proposition then they will fall down quickly, because at any price point the component parts rarely add up to justify the price. With the more expensive ones you can claim an in-house movement, but you're still paying a lot for the brand.

Personally I'd try and stretch to a Tudor 39mm Titanium Pelagos, it's a nice watch, IMHO every bit as nice as a Rolex Sub but much lighter and more exotic because of the titanium, I've had one on my wrist, but they're about £4k so double the price of that one you linked to.

Pretty much. I also feel the same way about the movements. One of the reasons I tend to avoid Tag (who use ETA).

I’ve had a couple of watches from microbrands over the years, but they never end up getting any wear time and they never feel as good on as the pictures made them look. Also that one, while their hq may be in switzerland I would imagine the watch is Chinese made (no ‘Swiss made’ on the face).

Also with you on the Tudor. Their quality is exceptional.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I quite like the look of some of Farer's stuff...bit different basically, without being over the top so...but all the above comments apply.

https://farer.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4b ... gK4-vD_BwE

Their bricks and mortar shop is not a million miles from me though so I might go have a real life look.

Re: Titanium though, Seiko seem to do loads of Ti watches at way lower prices than others. I assume they're all in house movements too?