The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
v8-powered

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by v8-powered »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:52 amNoo Shoos!
Looks like you need some turn-ups in those strides though? Not available in your size?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:54 am
Looks like you need some turn-ups in those strides though? Not available in your size?
Those are new too, I just need to grow into them.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:54 am
Beige slacks Volvo driver?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:48 pm Not me, but Mrs D just bought a Nikon ZFC.

If you held it in your hand you'd swear at first glance it's a 35mm SLR from about 1983.

Lots of you probably already know it's actually a digital mirrorless camera. Kinda like an SLR in that you can change lenses, bugger about with the settings etc. but as the name implies there's no "R" going on here...

So cool, being able to see all the settings changes taking effect live BEFORE you press the button.

Plus it's a funky looking retro thing...gonna buy her one of those stripey aftermarket straps with embroidered letters for Chrimbo :lol:

Yup. Mirrorless is the future. I'm selling off my DSLR stuff whilst it still has a value.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:57 am

My other Gant slacks are kind of beige, I bought these new dark ones and realized that my normal work shoes are brown and my burgundy brogues are past it (they've been resoled twice), so a new pair of black shoes were required.

I picked the Foley's because they've not all black, the laces are dark blue and the soles are brown with white stitching.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:09 am

My other Gant slacks are kind of beige, I bought these new dark ones and realized that my normal work shoes are brown and my burgundy brogues are past it (they've been resoled twice), so a new pair of black shoes were required.

:wtf: A properly made pair of shoes should last a bit longer than that! If the burgundy brogues are Loakes like those Foleys then twice is nowt. They'll just be bedding in. (If they're 1880s they'll last longer than you will :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:10 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:09 am

:wtf: A properly made pair of shoes should last a bit longer than that! If the burgundy brogues are Loakes like those Foleys then twice is nowt. They'll just be bedding in. (If they're 1880s they'll last longer than you will :D ).
They were my first pair of Loakes and they're only 'Design'. I didn't treat them properly, but they did some serious milage in four years of almost daily wear.

I've got a pair of blue export grade 1880's that only get worn on very special occasions and my other brown work shoes are some plain almost patent standard Loakes which I've been wearing every day for the last 9 months and they're hardly worn, but weigh a bloody ton, it's a good job I don't walk as much for work as I used too.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1696249688931.jpg
FB_IMG_1696249688931.jpg (179.98 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

I've had these old Bose headphones for years and have used them for thousands of hours. Planes, trains, commuting, in the Landy, when mowing the lawn, playing games, listening to music etc etc.

This is the second time I've had to replace the ear cups, but it's incredibly satisfying to do. 15 quid and they're back to new again. Lovely.

IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg (609.47 KiB) Viewed 231 times
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Slenver wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:48 pm I've had these old Bose headphones for years and have used them for thousands of hours. Planes, trains, commuting, in the Landy, when mowing the lawn, playing games, listening to music etc etc.

This is the second time I've had to replace the ear cups, but it's incredibly satisfying to do. 15 quid and they're back to new again. Lovely.

IMG_0046.jpeg
The OEM ear cups as made out of the cheapest shit in the world. I have done the same replacements as you - nearly perfect. However it now means that the head band is still the flakey PVC shit ( they seem to last about 6 or so years before the PVC dandruff sets in).
Quid why Bose use such poor quality plastics is beyond me.
The battery compartment locking mechanism is also a joke
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Slenver wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:48 pm I've had these old Bose headphones for years and have used them for thousands of hours. Planes, trains, commuting, in the Landy, when mowing the lawn, playing games, listening to music etc etc.

I love Bose stuff. I bought a bluetooth speaker thing years ago - I should have bought a radio/CD player/bluetooth speaker all in one unit. Sadly they no longer sell those :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:58 pm The battery compartment locking mechanism is also a joke
Probably not the same model then as mine (QC35) don't have a removable battery, just a USB socket. Just given them a quick visual inspection and none of the plastics or headband look bad in any way. The main bits of plastic are scratched and scuffed from years of me wearing them through trees on a ride-on mower, but nothing else is worn or needs repacing.

Though funnily enough, I had to retire my previous Sennheisers for that reason - the battery would just keep slipping out and disconnecting the signal. Had a couple of years with sellotape to hold it in, but gave up eventually.

My mate's were the same and he took advantage of a 60 quid mail-in repair programme which resulted in Sennheiser just sending him a brand new pair, but I missed the boat on that.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Noggin wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:14 pm I love Bose stuff. I bought a bluetooth speaker thing years ago - I should have bought a radio/CD player/bluetooth speaker all in one unit. Sadly they no longer sell those :( :( :(
I love these headphones. I think this model has been replaced at least twice now, but I'd probably just buy the latest ones if these ever die.
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:23 pm
They were my first pair of Loakes...
I like Loakes, I can buy them off the shelf and they fit just nice, I've got over a dozen pairs and tbh they're as good as any I've had MTM.

Speaking of pleasing purchases, we went daft in Burberry at the weekend, three new trench coats and assortments but the pleasing purchase was this for my (as yet unborn) grandson.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

is that you Insepctor Clouseau ?

That's a bloody awful thing fella... you can't buy taste as they say
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:48 pm is that you Insepctor Clouseau ?
I would suspect anyone wearing that of carrying a beumb.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:48 pm ... you can't buy taste as they say
I could offer the same criticism, if you think a Burberry Trench isn't stylish then you're lost in the wilderness.
It was good enough for Bogart, Prince Phillip, Michael Caine, and countless film stars and high society chaps/ladies.

I've got two.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:48 pm is that you Insepctor Clouseau ?

That's a bloody awful thing fella... you can't buy taste as they say
Fuck me, he has turned in Jacob Rees-Mogg
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:01 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:48 pm ... you can't buy taste as they say
I could offer the same criticism, if you think a Burberry Trench isn't stylish then you're not ready for an old folks home yet..
It was good enough for Bogart, Prince Phillip, and countless other dead film stars and high society chaps/ladies from the early 1900s.

I've got two.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:23 pm
They were my first pair of Loakes and they're only 'Design'. I didn't treat them properly, but they did some serious milage in four years of almost daily wear.

I've got a pair of blue export grade 1880's that only get worn on very special occasions and my other brown work shoes are some plain almost patent standard Loakes which I've been wearing every day for the last 9 months and they're hardly worn, but weigh a bloody ton, it's a good job I don't walk as much for work as I used too.
I've got some 1880 light tan leather-soled brogues and they're :thumbup: I bought a pair of Loakes rubber soled darker ones for winter use a couple of years ago and they're pretty heavy and don't fit as well. Both pairs are the wider-looking style so more 'country' than 'town'. I've got quite a slim foot and most shoe makers go for fit-all-peeps wide fittings. Even Churches* don't seem to offer different widths any more :( (My cobbler says they've been taken over by a fashion house :( ). Got a pair of Grenson black, business shoes with a Dainite sole and they're getting on for 30 years old. Starting to look a little worn now. :D

I was told you shouldn't wear the same (good quality leather) shoes two days running so they recover, so daily wear will take it out of a pair. I always used to alternate my decent shoes and put cedar shoe trees in.

* I was fitted for some years ago by a gent's outfitter in Henley and he kept going 'I think they're too big' and getting smaller, slimmer fit ones out...ended up with 2 pairs of 7.5, slim fit. They took a while to bed in but they fit :thumbup: now. Ordinary shoes I'm 8.5 -9.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:56 pm
I've got some 1880 light tan leather-soled brogues and they're :thumbup: I bought a pair of Loakes rubber soled darker ones for winter use a couple of years ago and they're pretty heavy and don't fit as well.
I was a leather sole fan for years, but if they get properly wet then it knackers them and after ruining a couple of pairs of expensive MTM shoes I switched to rubber soled ones.

I have more sets of footwear than I'll ever need, but I keep four pairs of Loake boots/shoes out that I wear 99% of the time, they fit every occasion, the others don't get worn so much.