In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: In todays news...

Post by Potter »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-66890247

"An original Calendar Girl is training to become a Brazilian jiu-jitsu teacher at 74 "to help women and girls defend themselves".
"It's so important for women to know that they have this power", she said."

This the kind of silly shit that gets people messed up, they roll around on a mat and then think they're competent against a determined attacker, so they get an awful shock when they happen upon an almighty smack in the mouth by someone who isn't playing by the rules.

Fighting for self defence is a massive myth.
If you want to teach self defence then start with a 500m sprint and situational awareness.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Apologies for the DM link

Hundreds of Met officers hand in their firearms permit after officer is charged with murder

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... harge.html
irie

Post by irie »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:11 pm Apologies for the DM link

Hundreds of Met officers hand in their firearms permit after officer is charged with murder

DM wrote:"... his family said: 'Chris was so very loved by our family and all his friends. He had a bright future ahead of him, but his life was cut short. Our family and our wider community must see justice for Chris.
Reddit wrote:Eye witnesses said he was trying to ram the police officers who were stood outside of their cars. So if that is the case, the shooting makes sense.

Chris Kaba aka Mad Itch (think itchy trigger finger) was a drug dealer with a history for firearms use.

He led them on a chase involving 5 police cars and a helicopter.

His enemies aka "opps" said "RIP but he was gonna get killed eventually" by them apparently.

He lived a life that got him to this ending, as unfortunate as it is, he plays a part in this. He wasn't some innocent kid as his family are trying to portray him as.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub

Post by Skub »

Many a wedding I played in there and watched folk do daft things with a few drinks on board.

That'll be his career and pension down the tubes.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:19 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-66890247

"An original Calendar Girl is training to become a Brazilian jiu-jitsu teacher at 74 "to help women and girls defend themselves".
"It's so important for women to know that they have this power", she said."

This the kind of silly shit that gets people messed up, they roll around on a mat and then think they're competent against a determined attacker, so they get an awful shock when they happen upon an almighty smack in the mouth by someone who isn't playing by the rules.

Fighting for self defence is a massive myth.
If you want to teach self defence then start with a 500m sprint and situational awareness.
Can you become Brazilian through training?
Potter

Post by Potter »

I hope they all do.

There is an awful tradition in UK history of armchair warriors and experts second-guessing people that had to make split second life/death decisions and discharge their weapons.

Let the general public face the repercussions of this silliness and we'll see a quick demand for police and military to be left alone to do their jobs.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:38 pm

I hope they all do.

There is an awful tradition in UK history of armchair warriors and experts second-guessing people that had to make split second life/death decisions and discharge their weapons.

Let the general public face the repercussions of this silliness and we'll see a quick demand for police and military to be left alone to do their jobs.
Why?
The CPS have all the evidence in their possesion, including body-cam footage, and have come to the decision that the officer should be charged with murder. Do you know something that the CPS doesn't about this particular case?
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I hope they all do.

The whole thing is bollox, what is an armed soldier going to do when a car tries to ram them driven by someone know to carry firearms ? Someone needs to stand up and point all this out.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Hoonercat wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:01 pm Do you know something that the CPS doesn't about this particular case?
Yes.
I know what it's like to be facing a life/death situation and having to decide whether to risk your life and not pull the trigger.

No one on the CPS will know anything about that, but they're experts at second guessing a situation that they can't possibly understand, all from the comfort of their nice office over a latte.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I hope they all do.

It seems a political decision. The IOPC have bottled it and handed the decision over to a jury so when the riots happen they can say it was down to the jury. It stinks.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

This is unfair on soldiers, they aren't trained for this and can't refuse orders even though following orders is not an excuse.

BBC News - Chris Kaba: MoD offers military support after armed Met officers turn in weapons
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66906201
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:19 pm Fighting for self defence is a massive myth.
I ain't running, I might trip & drop my gun.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:25 am This is unfair on soldiers, they aren't trained for this and can't refuse orders even though following orders is not an excuse.

BBC News - Chris Kaba: MoD offers military support after armed Met officers turn in weapons
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66906201
Infantry soldiers are trained in civilian population control, but they won't have (perhaps) the experience or the finesse of regular police.
However, many of them will possibly have more experience than the police on deciding when it's appropriate to pull the trigger in real life situations where life/death is the decision.

When I was in that sort of position I was young and naive, so I didn't understand the consequences, but now you'd have to pay me a lot of money to be in that type of job. Frankly I'd probably hand my weapon systems back when the decisions I'm forced to make are very likely to result in death, or jail after judgement by some academics sitting in an office somewhere.

As for the bloke that's dead, he was a violent thug well known to use firearms along with reckless criminal intent, I've no sympathy for his passing.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I have massive sympathy for our law enforcers, having to "correctly" deal with the ever growing number of arseholes within our community of all ages.

I'd feel like shooting anyone who doesn't do as I request. Doing what you are told isn't very hard. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
David

Post by David »

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:00 am I have massive sympathy for our law enforcers, having to "correctly" deal with the ever growing number of arseholes within our community of all ages.

I'd feel like shooting anyone who doesn't do as I request. Doing what you are told isn't very hard. 👍
If nth somerset council had decided to issue, along side the heavy cash machine, innefective radio, dubious card reader and market style waist bag for cash, a nice little Glock, there were afew situations yesterday when i would have cheerfully used it.
irie

Post by irie »

Statement read out at opening of inquest into the death of Chris Kaba.

Published: 04 Oct 2022

https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/news/s ... chris-kaba
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

IOPC statement wrote: Armed officers exited their vehicles and approached the Audi. The evidence suggests that contact was made between the Audi driven by Mr Kaba and the police vehicles.
It's this sort of ambiguity which has got the copper into court and may well get him convicted. Of course, if the car was driven at the police officers i.e. used as a weapon the defence would I guess like to keep that in hand for the court to take account of and not allow it to predjudice their case but it seems to me the CPS already think he's guilty.

Let's hope the jury are not all scrotes/drug dealers/lawyers.

I'm siding with the copper by the way and all those others that have handed in their firearms permits.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Standing in front of a vehicle, with your weapon drawn, identifying yourself as a policeman and telling the occupant to stop.
He doesn't and drives towards you, hitting clearly marked police cars in an attempt to harm you and/or escape.

You can choose to die like Andrew Harper, or pull the trigger.

And that's from the comfort of my patio whilst sitting with a cup of tea.
When I'm frightened beyond a level that most civvies would be able to understand, because I know the car has been involved in an earlier firearms incident and I suspect (rightly as it turns out) that the occupant is a dangerous criminal, then it's a whole different world.

I hate bullies and corrupt old bill, but I struggle not to sympathise with a copper facing a known dangerous criminal in a life or death situation.