GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Yorick

Re: GSXS 1000 - Mofo's Gixxus

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:06 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:39 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:37 pm I'd come out and play, but sadly I'm trapped at work for the rest of this week.
And you've been kicked out of the cool Suzuki club.
I know where there's a very tempting GS1000
Suzuki should do a Cooley replica GSXS1000
I see so many posts where folk buy a naked bike then spend ages trying out little wind thingies

If only they made bikes with fairings
Wes-Cooley-rep-action-064.jpg
Wes-Cooley-rep-action-064.jpg (364.96 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

The GS1000S fairing is huge, on the road bikes it was mounted on the forks and acted like a sail in a cross wind.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:41 pm The GS1000S fairing is huge, on the road bikes it was mounted on the forks and acted like a sail in a cross wind.
Yes. I was being facetious ;)

But they could fit an improved version 🤔
Le_Fromage_Grande

Yorick wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:45 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:41 pm The GS1000S fairing is huge, on the road bikes it was mounted on the forks and acted like a sail in a cross wind.
Yes. I was being facetious ;)

But they could fit an improved version 🤔
It was frame mounted on the Yoshi race bikes which solved the problem (assuming Wes Cooley remembered correctly when I asked him about it)
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:37 pm I'd come out and play, but sadly I'm trapped at work for the rest of this week.
Hopefully meet up for a ride before the weather turns shite. If we're lucky might get another couple of months before it's hibernation time
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Chain cleaned tonight and then lubed. Wasn't going to clean it but I'm still not sure on the XCP lube. In the bikesocial test it rated highly and one of the positives was that being oiley dust/dirt doesn't stick to it. But I'm finding it does, now that could be cos I didn't clean all the old stuff (castrol) off, so we'll see. The downside is you get a little bit of fling on the first ride, if the chain stays clag free I'll go with that but if I get fling and dust sticking to it I'll go back to my favoured Castrol racing lube. That had 0 fling and seem to look after the chain well but did get dirt stick to it over time. I've also noticed a little bit of rust on the rollers which I've not had before again I'll keep an eye on it.

So, just the tyre pressures in the morning before taking the kids to school and then I'll be out as soon as I've dropped the youngest off. Decided I'm going Much Hadam, Thaxted, Clare, Bury, down to Newmarket via the twisties, Linton, Saffron Walden, Debden, Clavering, Hertford. Should be a decent ride.

Followed by a cold beer and cold shower before picking the kids up
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Man that was a hot ride :flame: at the end it was hot even at 90mph.

My riding felt off today. Right from the start, just all wrong gears, not in the right place and nearly run wide twice on corners I know. So I gave up and chilled out. Was nice till about 12.15 but then the heat really ramped up, I took my textile which was a good plan as at least I could open the vents and let some air through.

So I wasn't riding the best but I still has a good day out. Hopefully I'll not ride shit tomorrow :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Le_Fromage_Grande

It's the heat, I felt like I was riding poorly yesterday early evening
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:52 pm It's the heat, I felt like I was riding poorly yesterday early evening
I did wonder about that.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Oh yeah, forgot to add about my mad panic. Somewhere near Stortford on a country lane a fly got up inside the chin bar of my lid and was trying to make his way between the cheek pad and my face. So I'm trying to hook him out when as he nears the top I realise it's a wasp :o there was a mad flap for about 30 secs till I got him out, luckily before he stung me
Le_Fromage_Grande

Only female wasps have stings
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Didn't know that. Although without seeing his cock I'd have still been in a flap :lol:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Total opposite today, right from the off I was comfy on the bike, throwing it around and surfing that amazing engine. Hardly any traffic on the way out and the weather was perfect with all the vents open on my jacket. The odd car was dispatched in short order before hooning into the next bend

Went up to Heybridge for a coffee and cold drink before a quick play around the reservoir and back.

I bloody love this bike, its just soo good at what I want from it. Struggling to think what I'd change about it. This is the old road into Maldon which has a nice series of S bends, so did them twice on the way to Heybridge and again on the way back.

[/quote]

Got back sooner than yesterday and not feeling as hot and bothered. Nice cold cider on the go now :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Forgot to update the thread. Not mega exciting but clicked over 5k miles on Thursday on the way home from work. Had hoped to get to 6k miles before the end of the season but can't see it now. Bloody crap weather we had all the way to the end of May.

The tyres are now at 3k miles and seem to be wearing well so far. Little bit of flattening but not much and plenty of tread left. Hoping I'll get 5k out of them but we'll see.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Went out yesterday morning and Autumn is defo here :thumbdown: Whilst it wasn't particularly chilly warranting just my lidl windbreaker under my leather and my warmer gloves, the grip levels felt noticeably down on my last ride the week before. There was masses of gravel washed into the road, farm muck for 100m long sections and the damp patches lingered into the morning from the rain the day before.

Hopefully a few more weeks of riding left yet, but the good times are mainly passed.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I haven't taken the Winter lining out of my textiles this 'Summer' and at no time have I ever been too warm. Admittedly,there was a great spell early on and I occasionally used a light leather jacket,but from the middle of June it all went pear shaped.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

A truly shite summer for sure!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Hmm. I'll just sit over here and keep quiet.
mboy

Post by mboy »

Supermofo wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:25 am Went out yesterday morning and Autumn is defo here :thumbdown: Whilst it wasn't particularly chilly warranting just my lidl windbreaker under my leather and my warmer gloves, the grip levels felt noticeably down on my last ride the week before. There was masses of gravel washed into the road, farm muck for 100m long sections and the damp patches lingered into the morning from the rain the day before.

Hopefully a few more weeks of riding left yet, but the good times are mainly passed.
Did 200 miles on my gsxs yesterday, and wished I'd worn my heated vest under my leather jacket! It was quite fresh to say the least... Heated grips were on 50% power the entire ride... And like you say, grip levels down noticeably so had to be that much more cautious in the corners... And gravel everywhere mid bends now!
Skub wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:54 am I haven't taken the Winter lining out of my textiles this 'Summer' and at no time have I ever been too warm. Admittedly,there was a great spell early on and I occasionally used a light leather jacket,but from the middle of June it all went pear shaped.
How far north do you live?!?! Or are you just cold blooded...? I've had many rides where I've had to wear my mesh jacket to make sure I didn't overheat!!! I had one day out in Wales where the tarmac got so warm (didn't get below 30deg all day) that I was right over on the edge of the tyres at times, and even making the tyre go bobbly as if it had been on track!!!
Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:22 am A truly shite summer for sure!
I've had a pretty excellent one on motorbikes to be fair... I've had a shite one for other reasons, but probably clocked up 6-7k so far this year and 90% of that in jacket and jeans with just a T-shirt underneath...

Is everybody else just busy waiting for that mythical 25deg day, when there isn't a cloud in the sky, the temp is just perfect, not too hot to need vented clothing but not cold enough to wear any more layers? UK riding conditions are what you make of them...
Yorick wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:34 am Hmm. I'll just sit over here and keep quiet.
:lol: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

FWIW supermofo... After the 15k valve service on my gixxus, I opened it up a bit yesterday knowing that all was well, and by christ it's quick! But you almost have to snap your wrist in half to pin the throttle to the stop, it has to be the longest throttle travel of any bike I've ever ridden! Going to investigate a quick action throttle sooner than later...
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Yes it is pretty long travel. TBH though it's fairly rare I give it max beans for the reasons you note, it's ballistically fast so more a once/twice a ride type thing. Most of the time I'm using the midrange which is just glorious and broad. One thing I've noted and it more prevalent in colder weather is that in lower gears/higher revs the throttle is a bit on/off at times. Sometimes it's fine, others it gives a lurch mid corner but I wondered if a QA throttle might make that worse without re-mapping.