Tool purchases

What non motorbike related things are you doing, making, building, planning or designing
roadster

Re: Tool purchases

Post by roadster »

Gregor wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:59 am Image
A picture without knowing the scale makes this a puzzler. First thought spoke spanner or maybe some sort of go/no-go gauge. But the numbers seem to be in inverse relationship to the size. Do spokes have some sort of grading where 1 is the biggest?
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

roadster wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:33 am A picture without knowing the scale makes this a puzzler. First thought spoke spanner or maybe some sort of go/no-go gauge. But the numbers seem to be in inverse relationship to the size. Do spokes have some sort of grading where 1 is the biggest?
Yes spoke spanner about 10cm long.

Also got this recently to break a tyre bead, that showed it who’s boss :P

ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Not a tool purchase, more a tool I'd quite like to have - an electrician I bumped into earlier was using this in-line torque adjustable insulated driver.

Want one.

Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:08 pm Not a tool purchase, more a tool I'd quite like to have - an electrician I bumped into earlier was using this in-line torque adjustable insulated driver.

Want one.

My understanding is they are a requirement for any work carried in a consumer unit / distribution board. All connections must be tightened to manufacturer specified torque setting which should be printed on the case for busbars / earth and neutral bars and on individual mcb / rcb / rcbo / rccb etc.

I suspect insurance companies will insist these are checked in the event of an electrical fire with liability resting on the spark who last did any work on the system / householder for DIY work.

Sadly / thankfully they can be readily picked up from toolstation / screw fix et al. Not cheap though.
Ant

Post by Ant »

They're usually used to stop idiots from over tightening small screws, rather than not tightening something up enough.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

For electrical connections, it is definitely about tightening up to spec as loose wires, even if they appear to be tight can start to arc, heat up and cause fires, hence the introduction of metal clad consumer units in iirc 18th edition.

For other types of connection, it may be about protecting the fixing from damage.

Wera offer a non-insulated range at 0.3 to 2Nm and a VDE insulated option at 0.3 to 3.5Nm, which kinda proves the point covered by my posts and the OP looking at an insulted driver…
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:10 pm My contraband fuel, er, I mean *utility* jugs showed up from Arizona...

As did my remote fuel tank...Also illegal here...

What's illegal? In the UK?
I know there's some auxiliary fuel tanks they sell for adventure riding which they have to label as not for fuel legally.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Silly Car wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:53 pm For electrical connections, it is definitely about tightening up to spec as loose wires, even if they appear to be tight can start to arc, heat up and cause fires, hence the introduction of metal clad consumer units in iirc 18th edition.

For other types of connection, it may be about protecting the fixing from damage.

Wera offer a non-insulated range at 0.3 to 2Nm and a VDE insulated option at 0.3 to 3.5Nm, which kinda proves the point covered by my posts and the OP looking at an insulted driver…
To be fair it is both, yes there are terminals which loosen or haven't been tightened up correctly, but there are just as many which have been butchered too tight,
Felix

Post by Felix »

Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Special tool for tightening the nuts that hold taps on.
I struggled for years with a snap on 1/4 set. This specific tool is head and shoulders better.

€13 for a tool I hardly use. I made the company pay, so I'm OK with it.

Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Jody wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:02 pm Special tool for tightening the nuts that hold taps on.
I struggled for years with a snap on 1/4 set. This specific tool is head and shoulders better.

€13 for a tool I hardly use. I made the company pay, so I'm OK with it.

Somebody's been to leroy
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

porter_jamie wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:16 am What's illegal? In the UK?
I know there's some auxiliary fuel tanks they sell for adventure riding which they have to label as not for fuel legally.

California...They've also outlawed all petrol powered yard tools including mowers & generators up to 26hp. & they just outlawed gas furnaces. This has lead to a run on them at the plumbing stores so people have one spare with pre-ban dates on the tag. Friend has 4 in his hangar.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Garage Journal forum got me again. Someone posted yesterday that the corded band files at Horrible Fright were on sale for $25 instead of $50...
well fuck, can't pass up that bargain. Now I just need to find bands that don't instantly fall apart at the seam or fling abrasive all over the place as it cracks off the bands.

This:
https://www.harborfreight.com/53-amp-12 ... 58155.html

Don't care how long it lasts for $25, if it craps out I'll spring for a better one, probably pneumatic.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:05 pm Image
At the risk of sounding like a fool - what ARE those things? I think I've got one somewhere but never found a use for it....
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:17 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:05 pm Image
At the risk of sounding like a fool - what ARE those things? I think I've got one somewhere but never found a use for it....
Looks a bit like a deburring tool for trimming edges of stuff?

Like this
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

What he said.
I need to drill and install some grommets on my air filter backing plate, and these work super quickly, I mean I could file all the burs off but a couple of passes with a deburring tool is so much quicker
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Another vote for the deburring tool. They do the job quicker and better than anything else I've tried. Can't think why but I've never tried one on copper pipes I've cut; I imagine it would clean them up dead quick.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

My brain has stopped working. :wtf:

A) I knew that.

b) I could have used one over the weekend....

ffs. :crazy:
non quod, sed quomodo
dern

Post by dern »

Jiggle (joggle?) hose for the win when draining tanks. Never had one before but a brilliant thing.