In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Tricky

Re: In todays news...

Post by Tricky »

JamJar wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:10 pm
cheb wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:56 pm Just how difficult is it to scroll on past stuff you don't want to read? Or even to actually use the fabled ignore function?
When it is pages and pages of the stuff it actually does become harder to ignore it.
No it doesn't.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

JamJar wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:10 pm
cheb wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:56 pm Just how difficult is it to scroll on past stuff you don't want to read? Or even to actually use the fabled ignore function?
When it is pages and pages of the stuff it actually does become harder to ignore it.
I'm a fan of the 'Leesten veery carefully, I will say this only wurnce' approach.

Got something to say, say it. People will/may read it. They may, or may not, agree.

Just don't repeat the same thing every sodding five minutes, we're not goldfish - twice round the bowl and we think 'Oh this is new!'. We read it. Fine. The end. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:17 pm

Just don't repeat the same thing every sodding five minutes, we're not goldfish - twice round the bowl and we think 'Oh this is new!'. We read it. Fine. The end. :thumbup:
And there's the rub. It is like a scratched record. The same users re-hashing the same diatribe to fit their political/conspiracy agenda. It sucks other people into it and becomes overbearing.

For the record, this thread started as a look at light-hearted news stories, a bit like Cyril's bit on 'That's Life'*. I appreciate that everybody has the right to speak their mind/opinion, but just as inappropriate stuff gets moved to the correct sub-forum if required, could we not do something similar here?

*Gotta be a certain age to get that reference. :P
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Why don't you just stop baiting Screwdriver and move on.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Potter wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:36 pm Why don't you just stop baiting Screwdriver and move on.
No names have been mentioned and this is most certainly not meant to be criticism of any one user. From my perspective this is just a discussion on how the forum, and this thread in particular, could be managed better.

Just me tuppence worth, guv.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Frankly it's a bit lazy and rude to pop yet another snipe at Biden / WHO / Deepstate in this thread (where everyone is reading these 'general' news stories) rather than starting a separate thread on it. It's all very well telling people to ignore but if you want to be controversial I would say it's fairer to everyone to take it to a thread elsewhere.

@ Potter. Yeah typically it's you, ZRX and Screwd who won't shut up about Biden etc. Just saying
Last edited by DefTrap on Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:36 pm Why don't you just stop baiting Screwdriver and move on.
It's not just one poster that insists on telling everyone the same thing multiple times without variation. My comment has a range of applications.
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

gremlin wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:27 pm , but just as inappropriate stuff gets moved to the correct sub-forum if required, could we not do something similar here?
This is in the correct forum.

Fwiw I don't see him being baited. He's being told that people are sick of reading the same/similar things, he can choose from there to post the next one, or not. I'm not sure how that's anyone's fault.

If you had a mate who came round and everytime he spoke he was like "fucking Brexit causing this" "that's another thing Brexit broke"

You'd be "mate, give it a rest FFS" after a few hours/minutes. This is the same. People are simply telling him "move on, we don't honestly care"
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:44 pm
If you had a mate who came round and everytime he spoke he was like "fucking Brexit causing this" "that's another thing Brexit broke"

You'd be "mate, give it a rest FFS" after a few hours/minutes. This is the same. People are simply telling him "move on, we don't honestly care"

Indeed

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:49 pm
Let's keep things Brexity. Nice and Brexity.

Because that's all going so well. :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

If you knew your mate has some issues that he was trying his best to deal with, you'd do the same thing?

Seemed like a perfectly ok discussion to me, until the baiting started, then it was a very predictable response from Screwdriver getting defensive and trying to explain his position, which you all knew would happen. I think it's a cheap shot at the expense of someone now probably sitting back and feeling a bit shit because he struggles with his communication on here sometimes and this might be one of the only outlets that lets him reach out and let a bit of energy out.

I see you - and you're bullies.

Yorick - when everyone was being a dick to you on here I always stuck up for you, telling people to back off when you were constantly posting the most repetitive stuff about cheap beer and sun in every single post. Why don't you extend the same compassion to Screwdriver and stop baiting him.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:51 pm
If you knew your mate has some issues that he was trying his best to deal with, you'd do the same thing?
Sometimes you have to tell someone a home truth. It's not like he's being abused here he's being told to give it a rest posting 1 type of subject. No one is hounding him out, no one pulls him up when he talks 3D printing, engineering, lathe restoring, motorbikes.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:54 pm
Sometimes you have to tell someone a home truth. It's not like he's being abused here he's being told to give it a rest posting 1 type of subject. No one is hounding him out, no one pulls him up when he talks 3D printing, engineering, lathe restoring, motorbikes.
He takes some subjects to a place where I don't always agree, but I think it's genuinely hilarious that people think they are telling him "home truths" when they aren't even intelligent enough to understand the subject.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

TBH it's not Screwd's posts that I find difficult. At least he posts explanations of stuff - I might not always understand everything he writes but if I have a bit of brain I do try and sometimes go back and try again. Might not agree, but at least he does go somewhere with reasons why he has those views!

It's the redneck style posts I struggle with - no balance and no explanations, just - everyone else is stupid/crooked etc and we love Trump!! Or just a link that half the time I either don't want to risk clicking or can't read when I do because it's a firewall or paid read - that's just lazy! Copy and paste FFS if you think it's interesting enough to share!!

But, I am fully able to scroll past if I can't deal with it, so I'd guess others can too
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:00 pm
He takes some subjects to a place where I don't always agree, but I think it's genuinely hilarious that people think they are telling him "home truths" when they aren't even intelligent enough to understand the subject.
I don't understand the subject, because I don't care. There are probably 100s of forums that do care about Biden, Trump, US politicians etc. The forum userbase have shown time and time again, this is not really that place. I don't see how that's our/their fault. People come here for a bit of chat, banter, bikes, bullshit. Not to have this shit rammed down their throats time and time again.

Know your audience.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:00 pm
Ah yes, see my post above. ^^^
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I think certain people are wise and clever enough to understand that this place engages far more readily with bike-related stuff, and those self-same people (as far as I can tell) are really, really interested in bikes and have a lot of really interesting stuff, thoughts, projects that would be lapped up on here. And yet they choose to spend their majority of the time banging on about Biden politics and then accusing the rest of us of bullying if we ask them to kindly STFU or at least not refer back to it in EVERY SINGLE THREAD.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Jesus fucking christ.. I hope none of you saw Biden's performance on stage during the Hanoi press conference.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:18 pm Jesus fucking christ.. I hope none of you saw Biden's performance on stage during the Hanoi press conference.
No. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:58 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:05 pm I don't like bikes.

;)
Common condition among bike owners.
If it weren't for bikes, I'd probably quite like bikes.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Biden shows up at the UN, walks into a flagpole...