Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
McNab

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by McNab »

Noggin wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:20 pm
DefTrap wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:59 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:10 pm On the other hand, I forgot to tell you that we will have to replace the speedo and the headlight.

Cost of parts 730.27€ for a total of 1099.27€ for the replacement parts with the certificate.

FFS!! Hasn't actually told me the price of the CoC either :roll: :roll:
You'd have thought stickers for the clocks would be sufficient. I've had plenty of UK-grey-imported bikes with km clocks that used stickers on the display just slapped on the glass (and they certainly weren't 40 bucks, more like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266356766452 ... R9yYuPvNYg although natch you might want the kph version).
Whether it would be 'acceptable' ? Who knows!? ;) Like in the UK, seems to depend who you get. My local CT man is slack about everything ...

Plan B could be to borrow some clocks just for the inspection. It's not as if the bike will ever need a CT.
I'm guessing that Ducati want to make the money by selling me the clocks :angry-cussingblack: I totally thought the stickered numbers would be ok but not sadly - well not with this dealer. And the one in Annecy was no more helpful :roll: :roll:

If I want it rideable and the CoC I'm going to have to spend the money I think. But can't afford the new clocks at 200€+, so will go for the sticker and hope I can split the clocks without breaking them (slim change I guess with the FUF in charge :roll: )

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
I thought the stickers just go on the glass with no need to open the clocks up.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

McNab wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:40 pm

I thought the stickers just go on the glass with no need to open the clocks up.
It currently has numbers on the inside that correlate to the kms. I'm waiting to hear back from Ducati as to whether they will accept that. If not then I can buy a 'plate' for the speedo that goes under the needle to replace the current one that says miles.

Here's hoping that the guy at Ducati isn't a total dick!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I changed mobile phone providers a month or so ago because the one I was with had slowly increased their prices hugely.

I more than halved (so I thought) the cost by changing but didn't read everything properly its seems

Tried to text my mate earlier in the uk and the text wont go through :roll:

Checking the details - yup, not even texts to the uk - AND the fuckers are charging me more than I worked out when I changed.

Sooooo - went to change to another different provider which will give me unlimited texts and landline calls to uk numbers for the same price and the current mob are charging me - can get to 'create and account'

I do but then it won't go any further!!

Too tired and stressed to type to a French chat bot tonight, but damn that's annoying!!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

You get 1p mobile or GiffGaff where you are? Both work well for me (and they're cheap!)
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:58 pm You get 1p mobile or GiffGaff where you are? Both work well for me (and they're cheap!)
Sadly no. France hasn't quite caught up with the uk on cheap mobile plans - although the one I'm currently on is only 2€ a month - as long as you don't use any mobile internet! And a little over 10€ a month if you add more data. TBF, I'm surprised there isn't an option to just pay for the texts sent to uk mobiles when you do. So very frustrating to not be able to contact a mate in bad times just because of this. (He's not on whatsapp).

Should be changed over in few days and will find other means until then

xx
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:01 pm So very frustrating to not be able to contact a mate in bad times just because of this. (He's not on whatsapp)
Is he on Facebook? as you can make calls through the messenger app, and send messages.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:04 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:01 pm So very frustrating to not be able to contact a mate in bad times just because of this. (He's not on whatsapp)
Is he on Facebook? as you can make calls through the messenger app, and send messages.
I’ve messaged him on FB. But he’s not techy and in the past has only use texts to keep in touch. With his boy in ICU I was trying to stick to ‘normal’ comms

I’ve messaged Josh’s wife and asked her to pass on my hugs to Mike (my mate, Josh is his son). So the message will get through. Just frustrating
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm giving up! Ducati Grenoble are fuckwits!! I'm tempted to van the bike back to the uk (I'm sure I know various people driving vans back at different times!), get an mot and a coc and then bring it back here with all the paperwork!!!
If you've changed the dashboard and headlight, I'll need the purchase invoice for the parts.

The price of the certificate is 350€.
I didn't say the dashboard had been changed, just that it had markings for both kms and miles. I did say the lens had been changed - surely that is easy to see from the markings and the direction of the dipped light.

And the price is more than three times a UK version - and the uk only want the VIN number!! Ok this guy has to take some photos to submit to Ducati Italy, but surely that's not 250€ worth of time :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

I do think he's just making it too difficult and I don't know why. I'd have used the dealership for stuff once the bikes running and I"m working again, but right now I feel that he's properly taking the piss and don't really want to go there ever!!

Need to go on one of the Moto groups out here to see if someone has a CoC for my model of Ducati before I totally give up (a few French have said to just download one and change it to match my bike - I haven't found one online and I know I don't have the skills to do the changes :( ), but damn I'm close :( :(
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

AND - my French driving licence is in the post but minus all my grandfather rights categories :( :(

Luckily they have said that it will have the bike on it still will car - but no trailer or C and upwards :( :( :(
Felix

Post by Felix »

Dono if it boils my piss or i should be happy at a new tool but i ordered new cartridges for my grease gun a few days ago. How was i to know there was more than one size. Bloody got enough grease to last a lifetime now :lol:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Why do batteries in smoke alarms ALWAYS fail at 2 in the morning? :angry-cussingblack:

New house, built in smoke alarms connected to the mains. No more beeping in the middle of the night. Right?

Wrong! :angry-cussingblack: And these new bastards are fiendishly difficult to disconnect, not like the simple DIY battery ones in the other house.
Several hours of intermitant psuedo-sleep with a background of insistant beeping. All 3 buggers changed now so I shall enjoy my bed tonight.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Felix

Post by Felix »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:35 pm Why do batteries in smoke alarms ALWAYS fail at 2 in the morning? :angry-cussingblack:

New house, built in smoke alarms connected to the mains. No more beeping in the middle of the night. Right?

Wrong! :angry-cussingblack: And these new bastards are fiendishly difficult to disconnect, not like the simple DIY battery ones in the other house.
Several hours of intermitant psuedo-sleep with a background of insistant beeping. All 3 buggers changed now so I shall enjoy my bed tonight.
I got a call from a customer to ask if i was in the area as she needed help getting her alarm off the celling to change the battery. She had been googling it what said press a push tab on the side and pull what she was doing but breaking the paint as she was pulling the screwed in base as well. Turned out you push in the tab and push the alarm to one side but the arrow embossed in the plastic to tell you this was so small you had to take the alarm down to see it.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Every time mine starts beeping I end up standing on a little set of steps squinting at it and wondering how I opened it last time. :(

When you know how it's v simple and I really should make a note/find the instructions. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I keep forgetting to change my smoke alarms, good reminder!

I've got the 'traditional' radioactive type you learned about in GCSE/O-level science. Newer ones use a optical sensor instead.

Old type ones are really good at detecting nano particles from combustion, which is why toast sets them off. Newer type is much better at picking up smoke you could see with naked eyes. Crucially the latter is more associated with smouldering and the start of a fire.

Ideally you should have both, which is what I keep meaning to do.

https://bregroup.com/insights/testing-t ... detectors/
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:23 am Old type ones are really good at detecting nano particles from combustion, which is why toast sets them off.
AKA the 'dinner gong'
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

2 of mine are optical, but the one downstairs is a bastard for going off whenever the toaster is used, despite being in the lounge part of open plan, not the kitchen area. The kitchen one is heat sensitive, and probably needs a full on fire to activate.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:45 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:23 am Old type ones are really good at detecting nano particles from combustion, which is why toast sets them off.
AKA the 'dinner gong'
I had to stop calling it that when Baby D arrived, lest she get into the habit of not taking fire alarms seriously :lol:

Re toast though...the particles which toast (and candles) produces are those exact same ones the ULEZ is supposed to address and the reason why my diesel car needs to be topped up with pig urine.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:50 am
Horse wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:45 am AKA the 'dinner gong'
I had to stop calling it that when Baby D arrived, lest she get into the habit of not taking fire alarms seriously :lol:
Foal used to sleep through them - two mains linked alarms, one on the ceiling outside his roo..
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I remembered, after the event, getting up in the night because the smoke alarm was properly going off, not just warning beeps, taking the battery out and going back to bed.

But then I've also nearly been knocked down by a reversing coach, whilst thinking that's a hideous noise and it's getting louder.

Cause of death: Extreme peevishness.
Last edited by cheb on Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My FiL took the batteries out of his CO monitor 'cause it was going off all the time. He also smoked 40 a day and died of lung cancer. Might be some correlations going on here.