What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Potter »

Tricky wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:33 pm
Spot on - pretty much my philosophy too, I know it must be hard not to, but try not to compare yourself to the boy or anyone else in your class, you're racing against your last times there maybe, and if you ain't last that is a result I reckon :thumbup:
There used to be an old fella at motocross (retired and 66yrs old), he was last every time and was usually lapped by a lot of the field, he wasn't dangerously slow or wobbling about, he was doing ok but he wasn't at race pace.

Some of the lads would take the piss, not to his face, but they'd make the odd comment, and I'd always counter by saying that I hope I'm fit enough at 66 to last a full race distance on a motocross track, I had nothing but respect for the bloke.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Today I have mainly been doing pond related things. Finally got the water lily in (it's called something like 'yellow water melon' variety and it has a flower! Because they're in pretty shallow water at the pond plants place I had to make a platform for the plant basket to stand on (ie an upturned plant basket which I cut a little 'door' in so any bugs and beetles can come and go). Nobby, the resident Great Crested newt seems happy and I suspect will be hanging artwork shortly in the new dwelling. This is a Good Thing because when the pond was smaller and pretty choked with stuff, Nobby had a few mates in there.

Have had numerous oxygenating plants in rehab while I delivered them of the evil blanket weed and they've started to go back in. It 's starting to look like a decent habitat again. The waterboatpersons are happily using their infinity pool (ie swimming against the tide of the waterfall), wasps and bees are still getting hydrated etc.

It's taken a while to get it all in balance but, generally, I'm a happy bunny. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:08 am
Tricky wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:33 pm
Spot on - pretty much my philosophy too, I know it must be hard not to, but try not to compare yourself to the boy or anyone else in your class, you're racing against your last times there maybe, and if you ain't last that is a result I reckon :thumbup:
There used to be an old fella at motocross (retired and 66yrs old), he was last every time and was usually lapped by a lot of the field, he wasn't dangerously slow or wobbling about, he was doing ok but he wasn't at race pace.

Some of the lads would take the piss, not to his face, but they'd make the odd comment, and I'd always counter by saying that I hope I'm fit enough at 66 to last a full race distance on a motocross track, I had nothing but respect for the bloke.
Fing is, you're all crap right? Unless you're international level (which we're not) there's always someone out there better than you. So demonstrably you're all doing it just for a laugh.

Fuck it, says I. Come last. It's just as valid as all the other hobbyists :D
Flux

Post by Flux »

Rode moto round lake district, visited stone circle at Castlerigg
Attachments
20230907_180653.jpg
20230907_180653.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 655 times
Potter

Post by Potter »

Went to the gym and had a savage work out on the free weights and then did a 30 minute run on a treadmill.
Then as I was leaving I felt like I had a bit of energy so I joined a Muay Thai class that was running.

You know when you've done a proper weights workout and you're trying to eat your dinner and you can't even lift the fork up properly to put food in your mouth - try doing a striking class when you feel like that - I was hitting like a child and couldn't block or dodge the strikes coming my way, I won't do that again :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:16 pm you're trying to eat your dinner and you can't even lift the fork up properly to put food in your mouth :lol:
Welcome to my world!! Can mostly manage now, but still can’t lift a glass to drink from 🙄🙄
(Luckily the other arm works 🤣🤣)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

It’s been a weird day today as I slept in till 10:30! :o :o. Not a bad think as I’ve not slept properly for about 5 nights.

Then decided to try and find some fabric to line a hat with - didn’t find it but had a sort out, found other fabric, found some jeans that now fit and more that nearly fit (left the even smaller ones in the box!!). And a dress that I’d cut out but never seen!!

As a result of the jeans find, I’ve put a few more ‘fat’ jeans in a pile to cut up and make a denim jacket from - not this weekend tho 🤣🤣

So this afternoon I’m going to make a ‘bucket’ hat but with different lining than I’d planned, then maybe start on the dress I found!

Heading to the terrace across the road for 6pm to raise a glass of genepi to my friends that are getting married today over in West Wales!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Been out on my 40 km keep fit loop on the pushbike & on one the few hills around here there's a few cars parked,people with binoculars & radio's.From this viewpoint you can see out into Liverpool Bay & after seeing this group with the bino's I wondered if Southport airshow was on this weekend.
A few miles later & as I'm cycling I can hear a proper racket up in the sky,a few seconds later a Lancaster Bomber flew over quite low.I got a great view of the plane,never thought that I would see a Lancaster in flight,made my day that :thumbup:
A few minutes later a couple of WWII fighters flew over (they sounded like Merlin engines,so I'm guessing at least one was a Spitfire) but they were at a higher altitude
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Tough day.

5 hour mega enduro ride
Half hour in pool.
Few beers with pal in town.
Home to watch the footy.
Caught up with all MotoGP stuff.
Ditto with WSB

Now can relax :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Half day at work. Came home to fix a starting problem with the van, slob about and watch the England Match. If they send that team up come Tuesday i dont think we have much to worry about. Now drinking GF Daura Damm what is rather nice.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Today we had a game of spot the difference!
20230910_141000.jpg
20230910_141000.jpg (864.04 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Flux

Post by Flux »

Borrowdale bash on the trail bike...
Attachments
20230910_090439.jpg
20230910_090439.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 525 times
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I'm a bit miffed. I listened to the fucking weather guessers. They said 102deg today, then they said pissing rain... so I decided to not ride...

It's actually about 90deg & severe clear at noon. & now I lack the motivation to gear up & ride 70 miles to see a mates band play. Bugger.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just got a text from an old friend that I've not heard from in a year or so - never going to be good news

Now sat here in tears because the news was that an old mate's son was in a bike vs car accident (apparently possibly two cars) a couple of days ago. In Southmead hospital, no other info

This is the old mate whose daughter died a few years ago just after Christmas :( :( :(

Have managed to find out this -
Critical but stable in ICU. Starting to move his legs and left hand a little bit and also open his eyes. He is breathing unaided but unfortunately has a bad chest infection

But I'm currently sat here in tears. Tough being too far away to be of any use and too far away to make random phone calls not knowing where everyone is.

Just sitting here crossing my fingers Josh will pull through but distance is a total bastard sometimes :( :(
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Today have been playing GTFOOMY with the daughter's new mowta! The bonnet is pretty much the same height as most car roofs!
All black ranger raptor, 10sp auto thingy. It's got an info screen bigger than my telly!
Head and shoulders better than the last one, and she's getting 35mpg towing 2t around.
If I had more money than sense, I'd have one!
Can't see how any self respecting builder would be without one.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Went for a stroll around our new park/nature reserve in the next 'village'*. Nice and flat (unless you walk up to the turf amphitheatre) so it was a good constitutional for the resident invalid.

It's :thumbup: Great big pond in the middle, a couple of nice little coffee and ice cream huts. Loads and loads of tree planting and wild meadow making. Only a stroll from the High Street. Some local benefactor allowed/sold some land adjacent to be developed and the park was the quid pro quo. Warms the old cockles that not all house building is just for profit.

* It's quite a big village really with a Sainsbury, Co-op and M&S Food place but still, officially, a village.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Demannu wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:51 pm Can't see how any self respecting builder would be without one.
Because it's got a paltry 650kg payload. I looked at them briefly earlier in the year, in the end I decided to keep the van, it's got more than double the payload and many times the volume. It does spend most it's time carting bicycles around but I've got some stuff to move later this week which will be 2 trips in the van, lot's of trips in a Ranger Raptor.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Demannu wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:51 pm Today have been playing GTFOOMY with the daughter's new mowta! The bonnet is pretty much the same height as most car roofs!
All black ranger raptor, 10sp auto thingy. It's got an info screen bigger than my telly!
Head and shoulders better than the last one, and she's getting 35mpg towing 2t around.
GTFOOMY ????
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Doesn't the (lack of) payload in pick ups have some big implication for VAT, commercial vehicles etc. etc.?

Get the fuck out of my way, BTW.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Demannu wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:51 pm Today have been playing GTFOOMY with the daughter's new mowta! The bonnet is pretty much the same height as most car roofs!
:lol: :lol: a friend up here has ordered one, in orange :lol: Delivery date currently November but he's not convinced it will arrive then!!

Pirahna wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:10 pm
Demannu wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:51 pm Can't see how any self respecting builder would be without one.
Because it's got a paltry 650kg payload. I looked at them briefly earlier in the year, in the end I decided to keep the van, it's got more than double the payload and many times the volume. It does spend most it's time carting bicycles around but I've got some stuff to move later this week which will be 2 trips in the van, lot's of trips in a Ranger Raptor.
I have been wondering about that, even before you mentioned the actual payload! He's used to working with a HT LWB Transit - HTF is he going to work out of something so (comparatively) small!! LOL

On another note, another friend up here has a second hand Ranger and loves it. It's comfy but Damn it's high up!! And bastard hooooge!! I drove it to do a rescue mission and in the smaller mountain roads its 'interesting'!! LOL