NBT: I've bought a Honda!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Skub

Re: NBT: I've bought a Honda!

Post by Skub »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:02 pm That's my problem.I had to stop commuting on the Street Triple as at 05.15 in the morning the roads were empty & I kept getting 'enthusiastic'.
I fancy a big Jap four again,but the only one that I think I could behave myself on would be a Z900RS,(You've just ruled out the Honda for me)...
Get an H1. One of those won't get you a tug for speeding. :thumbup:

Oh wait... :(

The problem is,not the type of bike (though some do make it hard) the issue lies with the rider and that's much more difficult to remedy. I was as much a twat on a step through as a 10R,just in different ways. Age and a sense of self preservation goes some way to mitigating the twatish behaviour,but if it's in you from the start,there are gonna be times....

When I go out on any bike,I want to ride however I feel on the day,this will inevitably bring me into conflict with rules and other road users. It's one of the reasons I like to ride early in the morning,as I don't have to put up with traffic and they don't have to put up with me.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Bustaspoke wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:23 am Good sugestion,but being a Yamaha fanboi,if I go down the big air cooled four route I think I'll end up with a XJR1300SP.One of my mate's has had a few XJR's over the years,in fact he's got one at the momment,I'll have to have a word with him.
Chris of Suzuki / Kawasaki tuners Grumpy 1260 had one and loved it, and he's usually scathing about anything air cooled that isn't a Suzuki or Kawasaki
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Skub wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:29 am
Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:02 pm That's my problem.I had to stop commuting on the Street Triple as at 05.15 in the morning the roads were empty & I kept getting 'enthusiastic'.
I fancy a big Jap four again,but the only one that I think I could behave myself on would be a Z900RS,(You've just ruled out the Honda for me)...

The problem is,not the type of bike (though some do make it hard) the issue lies with the rider and that's much more difficult to remedy. I was as much a twat on a step through as a 10R,just in different ways. Age and a sense of self preservation goes some way to mitigating the twatish behaviour,but if it's in you from the start,there are gonna be times....

When I go out on any bike,I want to ride however I feel on the day,this will inevitably bring me into conflict with rules and other road users. It's one of the reasons I like to ride early in the morning,as I don't have to put up with traffic and they don't have to put up with me.
Dunno, I had to stop myself from doing wheelies last night, something I never had to do on the Suzuki.
Honda Owner
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:05 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:02 pm I nearly started calling it Xavier the Honda, and then remembered I'm a bloke, and blokes don't name vehicles.
Or 'ride' blokes?

It would have to be Xena, or something.... now you've got me thinking of Lucy Lawless' tits.
She could do amazing things with her quoit.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:13 am

Dunno, I had to stop myself from doing wheelies last night, something I never had to do on the Suzuki.
Why stop- seriously- YOLO etc :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

No matter that people say, Wheelies are big and they are clever.

The distractors are mainly people who can't wheelie.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I stopped because I'm shit at wheelies and worry about binning it.

Had a nice 80 mile ride tonight to Beccles and back.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Bustaspoke wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:23 am Good sugestion,but being a Yamaha fanboi,if I go down the big air cooled four route I think I'll end up with a XJR1300SP.One of my mate's has had a few XJR's over the years,in fact he's got one at the momment,I'll have to have a word with him.
This one on Friendface Marketplace could fit the bill :p

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 8281149894
Attachments
373545486_7493603880668888_1852496791489220350_n.jpg
373545486_7493603880668888_1852496791489220350_n.jpg (189.88 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:58 pm
The distractors are mainly people who can't wheelie.
I can't :(

I wish I could, I used to ride with a bloke that could wheelie for however long he wanted, he could balance indefinitely on the back wheel at any speed.
He competed for years in trials and his bike control was astounding.

He'd pop wheelies along roads in The Lakes and kids would cheer and grown ups would shake their heads, I was always jealous.

Saw a bloke do it in Matlock about 25yrs ago and a lycra-clad cyclist got in his way and knocked him off, he twatted the cyclist :lol:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I can guarantee you that if I pulled a wheelie on the road (I couldn't, BTW) I would be arrested straight away and sent down for 25-life with bubba. 'course I would, I'm a square law abiding citizen who thinks they're a daft thing to do on the road, therefore I'd be caught and punished immediately.

Same reason I can never get away with riding without MOT, Tax, Insurance etc.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Now at about 350 miles on it

Things I like - the power, the handling, everyone comments on what a good looking bike it is
Things I don't like - the engine isn't as smooth as the Suzuki at low rpm, it's thirsty and has a smallish fuel tank, the handlebars are a bit wide, poor wind protection (and all the aftermarket ones look bad), the seat gets painful after 2 hours
Things I miss from the Suzuki - one press start, fuel range display, space under the pillion seat

The quickshifter is a bit meh, occasionally it won't shift up and you have to close the throttle, but I'm not convinced this isn't my riding, so I'll give it a bit longer before I start adjusting it.
The rear shock is okay, it feels a bit under damped, but the spring is right.
Forks are good, really good, springs feel a little soft for hard riding.
There's a noticeable lag when you close the throttle and open it again, I think I'll get used to this.

If I change anything on it will be the rear shock first, then maybe the exhaust, but I don't want it any louder than it is.
Honda Owner
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'm finding it more enjoyable riding a slow bike slow, than a fast bike fast, on our lovely roads.

It could be the novelty affect mind.. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Just remembered something else I don't like on the Honda, the front indicators double as side lights, so you have orange lights on the front of the bike always on, when you indicate, one flashes and one stays on, it confuses other road users, I think there's a wire on the flasher unit I can pull to solve this.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:37 am Just remembered something else I don't like on the Honda, the front indicators double as side lights, so you have orange lights on the front of the bike always on, when you indicate, one flashes and one stays on, it confuses other road users, I think there's a wire on the flasher unit I can pull to solve this.
My GSXR has those silly lights.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:37 am Just remembered something else I don't like on the Honda, the front indicators double as side lights, so you have orange lights on the front of the bike always on, when you indicate, one flashes and one stays on, it confuses other road users, I think there's a wire on the flasher unit I can pull to solve this.
Mine has this. Very odd. I thought the PO had wired it up like that as the backs aren't on to match it? :wtf:

BTW, whats one press start?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:06 pm
Mine has this. Very odd. I thought the PO had wired it up like that as the backs aren't on to match it? :wtf:

BTW, whats one press start?
Mine has that. Just touch it, and it spins till it starts.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Funny how you get used to things that aren't really important but you end up valuing. I love the one press start.

Re: fuel use I struggle to get the GSXS under 50mpg a lot of the time, I currently get about 180 to a tank.

I read a test the other day (scary how Google picks up these things) comparing the GSXS to the CB. Apparently they make pretty much exactly the same power but make it completely differently. Sounds like the Honda has kept the Fireblade sportsbike power delivery, whereas the Suzuki is more tuned for grunt. The Honda was better overall in most areas showing the extra polish you get for the money. Tis' a lovely thing.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I'm getting 43mpg, but I'm riding like a twat quite a bit.
The engine has a step in power at about 6000rpm, it's pull your arms out fast above that, it's also what makes it easy to wheelie, as you get a surge of power that lifts the front wheel.

The finish is better than my Suzuki, but not fantastic, there are a couple of corroded washers on the tail light bracket, and the paint on the bracket is a bit speckly, there's a tiny bit of discoloration on a weld at the bank of the fuel tank. I took the seat off to investigate disabling the indicators being always on and the area under the seat is very neat and tidy, the battery and all the electronics sit in a box that's part of the sub frame.

I've put all the suspension to standard so I've got somewhere to start from set to g it up, not that there's much adjustment
Honda Owner
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:35 pm I'm getting 43mpg, but I'm riding like a twat quite a bit.
The engine has a step in power at about 6000rpm, it's pull your arms out fast above that, it's also what makes it easy to wheelie, as you get a surge of power that lifts the front wheel.

The finish is better than my Suzuki, but not fantastic, there are a couple of corroded washers on the tail light bracket, and the paint on the bracket is a bit speckly, there's a tiny bit of discoloration on a weld at the bank of the fuel tank. I took the seat off to investigate disabling the indicators being always on and the area under the seat is very neat and tidy, the battery and all the electronics sit in a box that's part of the sub frame.

I've put all the suspension to standard so I've got somewhere to start from set to g it up, not that there's much adjustment
Keep an eye on the engine paint at the front - I seem to remember they can suffer a bit behind the front wheel.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Cheers, I can see that happening, there's nothing to stop dirt and stones hitting the front of the engine.
Honda Owner