In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: In todays news...

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:02 am Pah, I used to see 160mph on my daily commute using the Blade.
Yup, same on the R1 and i only lived 4 miles from the office... in town :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 am The fastest (indicated) speed I ever saw on a bike was 185mph... On a ZX9R on the M180, it was deffo faster than my Blade top end.
I saw 190 on the speedo of my SRAD 750, it felt more like 160
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:59 am
KungFooBob wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 am The fastest (indicated) speed I ever saw on a bike was 185mph... On a ZX9R on the M180, it was deffo faster than my Blade top end.
I used to have an old 'Blade back in the day. On a trip to France I opened the throttle all the way to the stop. IIRC, it was showing about 160mph, but my memory is poor and I think for most of the time my eyes were shut.

I've never been that stupid on a bike since. Hardly.
In all my years on track, I reckon I've done 150 about 30,000 times :
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:59 am I used to have an old 'Blade back in the day. On a trip to France I opened the throttle all the way to the stop. IIRC, it was showing about 160mph, but my memory is poor and I think for most of the time my eyes were shut.
I saw 165mph on the clocks on me auld VFR750 at Bruntingthorpe. That reading, I think it's fair to say, was ambitious :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:41 am
gremlin wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:59 am
I used to have an old 'Blade back in the day. On a trip to France I opened the throttle all the way to the stop. IIRC, it was showing about 160mph, but my memory is poor and I think for most of the time my eyes were shut.

I've never been that stupid on a bike since. Hardly.
In all my years on track, I reckon I've done 150 about 30,000 times :
It's very silly. Stop it this instant.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

One time, when I was at Suzuki's private test track (Ryuyo) I had a GSX-R indicate 300kph, which I think is 186mph.
Then we took the Bullet train back to Tokyo and got pissed in the hostess bars around Kabukichō, on Suzuki expenses.

;)
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

Nessie sightings go exponential.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:27 am Then we took the Bullet train back to Tokyo and got pissed in the hostess bars around Kabukichō, on Suzuki expenses.
;)
While doing >300kph to boot :thumbup:
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Yambo wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:32 pm I'm with you Screwd, all the way mate. There are some weird folk around these days and some even weirder folk who can't or won't see the problems.

I try to keep my opinions to myself though as much as I can.

There was a teacher who got sacked for saying "Good morning girls." to a class of pupils at a girls school. Some of the girl students at that girl's school complained and the teacher was sacked. The lunatics are running the asylum and most people don't want to see it.

There's none so blind. . .
She wasn't sacked. She was a temp on a one-term contract which wasn't renewed when it finished, and she assumes the reason was because of this incident. And it wasn't a one-off, she had been told by the pupils that they didn't all identify as female but she continued to address the class as 'girls'. Would it be so hard to simply say 'pupils' instead? Or just a 'good morning'? If that is the school's policy and she refuses to abide by it then her chances of having her contract renewed were always going to be somewhat slim.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Why is it still called a "Girls School"?

Other madness is available, like a child identifying as a cat.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Because it's owned by a girl who can't punctuate correctly.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't know why the men in frocks thing has been the wall for some of you.

"Equality" has been an ever creeping activity for hundreds of years, gradually adding all the different minority or disenfranchised groups to the list of people that were "equal" - but for some reason some of you have hit an impasse with transgender people and you don't want to let them into the equal club.

I think every generation has it's wall, homosexuality used to be illegal, black people were segregated, etc, and at every point there were some people that resisted the granting of equality because they felt it was a step too far.

I'm not making a judgement on whether it's right to gift equality to everyone, but if we're doing it then I don't think it's fair to let some people be equal but not the men in frocks just because some of you get nervous around them.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 pm I think every generation has it's wall, homosexuality used to be illegal, black people were segregated, etc, and at every point there were some people that resisted the granting of equality because they felt it was a step too far.
This is a big part of it in my view. If you're gonna draw a line, where you gonna draw it? It's pretty arbitrary.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole trans thing TBH, I do think some of it takes the piss but then that's what people do - take the piss. There are extreme outliers in every field. Whenever I try and think about what I'd accept I always come to "but why?" and I can't really think of an answer. As soon as you start relying on a "every right thinking person" argument you've essentially admitted you don't have a robust reason IMO. Just because right?

I've never been sexually groomed by a trans person. Or anyone else for that matter :(
Potter

Post by Potter »

We always think we know better than nature.

I've just been out doing a spot of weeding, killing the plants that I think are bad, so that the plants that I think are good can grow freely.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:34 pm We always think we know better than nature.

I've just been out doing a spot of weeding, killing the plants that I think are bad, so that the plants that I think are good can grow freely.
Yeah but were any of them wearing dresses ?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 pm I don't know why the men in frocks thing has been the wall for some of you.

"Equality" has been an ever creeping activity for hundreds of years, gradually adding all the different minority or disenfranchised groups to the list of people that were "equal" - but for some reason some of you have hit an impasse with transgender people and you don't want to let them into the equal club.

I think every generation has it's wall, homosexuality used to be illegal, black people were segregated, etc, and at every point there were some people that resisted the granting of equality because they felt it was a step too far.

I'm not making a judgement on whether it's right to gift equality to everyone, but if we're doing it then I don't think it's fair to let some people be equal but not the men in frocks just because some of you get nervous around them.
Men who pretend to be women should have equality with other men and I think they more or less do.

I don’t see men joining women’s rugby teams as an example of equality.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I find it really interesting, not this argument, but the fact that people do feel uncomfortable living as the sex they were born.

As a kid, probably into my 20's, I 100% did not feel like I should be a girl. All the sports I wanted to do, the careers etc were male orientated. Yes, I did crafts (dressmaking, needlework, baking) but overall, I felt and would often say that I should have been a boy.

Obviously, I'm not, and despite my efforts (hunched shoulders/operation!) I can't hide the bits that make it bleeding obvious that I'm a girl! Along with the fact that whilst I appreciate women and some of them are very attractive, I do 100% fancy men!

So does that make me a gay wannabe man or a messed up woman!!

I think it just makes me me - but then no one ever picked up on my confusion (despite my refusal to wear a skirt unless forced to until I was about 14!). I just think I'm a bit of a tomboy, but I do 'girly' exceptionally well when I need to - just not the 'girly' conversation, can't abide that! Much prefer chatting to guys - until they start talking about haircuts/make up etc!! :lol: :lol:

Mind you, if we do come back for another go, I'm definitely coming back as a man - I will be able do the sports I want without query and I will be able to pee standing up!! (A serious bonus for the two main sports I do, and the winter job!! LOL)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:48 pm
Men who pretend to be women should have equality with other men and I think they more or less do.

I don’t see men joining women’s rugby teams as an example of equality.
I've read passionate commentary from yesteryear that women shouldn't have been allowed into the workplace, army, etc.
It was argued then (and now) that some of the objections made sense and maybe all this equality stuff should be stopped.

But progress is progress.
It seems a shame to stop at this point, let's keep going and pretend that everyone on the planet is equal and we all have the right to be whatever we want, and get treated equally for it.
I'm interested to see how far it can go.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

I’m not convinced that equality is making progress. Do fewer people hate black people now, than twenty years ago?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 pm

The tranny hysteria is absolutely just another wave of very similar hysteria that accompanied homosexual / race// / sex equality issues over the last half dozen decades.

What might be different this time though is that those who start off very anti and over time temper their lack of empathy (as most do tbh) to the point of acceptance, might find that their original aggressive 'hatred' is still writ large across social media for all to see.