The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MyLittleStudPony

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Potter wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:44 am There is a long story to this particular watch, its > twenty years old and it’s been around the world and done several operational tours with me. It even almost got me killed when someone tried to pinch it and I decided it was worth resisting.

It then sat unloved in a garage drawer for another few years looking pretty sorry for itself, covered in the detritus of all those years of faithful service, until my lad wanted a cheap but reliable watch for basic training and I remembered it. We cleaned it up with some Autosol, put a new battery in, a new strap on and off he went.

Now having done its job he’s wearing his Submariner and he gave the watch back to me and I’m using it daily.

It’s bashed up a bit and certainly worth less than the strap cost me (£6) but I’d fight you if you tried to take it from me and I’d give up most of all my other watches before I gave this up.

"He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated. The way your Daddy looked at it, that watch was your birthright. And he'd be damned if any slopeheads were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright."
MyLittleStudPony

I bought a watch. I haven't used one in over ten years I think. It's a Swatch Windy Dune. It seems perfect for me although the tick is a bit loud.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Which wrist do you guys wear your watch on? I was always told I wore mine on the ‘wrong’ one!! Not that I’ve worn one for blooming ages, not sure I can remember which wrist it used to go on!! :lol: :lol:

But I’ve got quite a nice one that I spotted in a box the other day and thought that maybe I’d get it out and sort a battery etc!! (It’s not posh, needs a battery!!!)

So, thought I’d ask. Not that I’ll use the ‘correct’ wrist if it doesn’t feel right!! - just interested!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:22 pm
Potter wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:44 am There is a long story to this particular watch, its > twenty years old and it’s been around the world and done several operational tours with me. It even almost got me killed when someone tried to pinch it and I decided it was worth resisting.

It then sat unloved in a garage drawer for another few years looking pretty sorry for itself, covered in the detritus of all those years of faithful service, until my lad wanted a cheap but reliable watch for basic training and I remembered it. We cleaned it up with some Autosol, put a new battery in, a new strap on and off he went.

Now having done its job he’s wearing his Submariner and he gave the watch back to me and I’m using it daily.

It’s bashed up a bit and certainly worth less than the strap cost me (£6) but I’d fight you if you tried to take it from me and I’d give up most of all my other watches before I gave this up.

"He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. Now he knew if the gooks ever saw the watch it'd be confiscated. The way your Daddy looked at it, that watch was your birthright. And he'd be damned if any slopeheads were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright."
I have my Great-Grandfathers pocket watch that he carried right through WW1, he gave it to my Grandfather when he went through WW2 and I got it when I went to Iraq (my dad never joined so he didn't get it). My boy will get it on his first operational tour.
We all scratched our initials into the inside cover, my Great-Grandfathers initials are still visible from 1914.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:38 pm Which wrist do you guys wear your watch on? I was always told I wore mine on the ‘wrong’ one!! Not that I’ve worn one for blooming ages, not sure I can remember which wrist it used to go on!! :lol: :lol:
Right handed, so left wrist but I do occasionally switch. However, ever since I got my first watch I've worn them on the inside of the wrist rather than the usual outside. It's just a habit now but the smart watch seems to get better results sitting on the pulse point.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:41 pm
Noggin wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:38 pm Which wrist do you guys wear your watch on? I was always told I wore mine on the ‘wrong’ one!! Not that I’ve worn one for blooming ages, not sure I can remember which wrist it used to go on!! :lol: :lol:
Right handed, so left wrist but I do occasionally switch. However, ever since I got my first watch I've worn them on the inside of the wrist rather than the usual outside. It's just a habit now but the smart watch seems to get better results sitting on the pulse point.
I'm right handed but wear a watch on my right wrist! I suspect my mum put the watch on my right wrist - she's a leftie :D It always felt really wrong to wear it 'properly' on my left wrist!! :lol:

:D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:39 am I was totes undecided about smart watches so went for a 2nd hand Galaxy 3 watch to test the waters.
Now? It gets worn 24/7, 2.5 hours REM sleep last night, although to be fair I think it's main use will be to give the coroner something to read if I drop down dead.

For me it's main uses are sleep tracking, finding where I left my phone, and countdown timers when BBQing / Smoking.

Waters tested after 2 years, just ordered a Galaxy Watch 6 Classic in a chonking 47mm, hey I got £100 off through work and another £95 quid trading in the Watch 3 I only paid £120 for 2 year ago, it'd be rude to not have one
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

47 mm :o

That's a clock not a watch.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

I got a free watch by using my airmiles that I rack up on my credit cards.
I wandered into a G-Shock shop whilst I was browsing the other day and saw a few I quite liked, so I had a quick look to see what was available via my airmiles and chose one.
For the nerds it's a GM2100CB-3ADR

These are around £200 and apparently very robust with a battery life of three years, it's got basic functions of alarm, stopwatch, etc, and very handily it has a world-time function for when I'm travelling, plus it's very easily readable for my rapidly deteriorating eyes without my reading glasses on.

I wouldn't have bought one from the pictures, but in the flesh it looks nice - they're quite big so not for thin weedy wrists though - the skinny fella in the shop had one on and it buried him, I put this one on my very manly wrists and it looked about right. Most of the online pictures show skinny androgynous wrists that make it look too big - see below.

These watches have an aftermarket accessory market that will rival Harley-Davidson, so one can also bugger about with aftermarket straps and things if one wants.

Potter

Post by Potter »

Rolex Explorer 2, whilst I was out exploring.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You ain't fooling anyone, that's clearly public transport. And a train no less!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:42 pm Rolex Explorer 2, whilst I was out exploring.
Good choice, on my 'want' list.
Sold my Speedy last week - need something to fill the space!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Saw an unusual IWC Portugieser the other week that really caught my eye, and Mrs, G agreed:
https://www.iwc.com/gb/en/watch-collect ... ic-40.html

I was going to drop hints for Christmas, then bugger me if I don't get an email drop into my inbox with Lewis Hamilton's smug face looking at me, him now being a brand ambassador for IWC. Might have to rethink my purchase now....

Granted, he was sporting a rather more exclusive model that I was looking at:
https://www.iwc.com/gb/en/watch-collect ... s-ham.html
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:55 pm You ain't fooling anyone, that's clearly public transport. And a train no less!
One needs to get to where one is exploring.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

gremlin wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:56 pm Saw an unusual IWC Portugieser the other week that really caught my eye, and Mrs, G agreed:
https://www.iwc.com/gb/en/watch-collect ... ic-40.html

I was going to drop hints for Christmas, then bugger me if I don't get an email drop into my inbox with Lewis Hamilton's smug face looking at me, him now being a brand ambassador for IWC. Might have to rethink my purchase now....

Granted, he was sporting a rather more exclusive model that I was looking at:
https://www.iwc.com/gb/en/watch-collect ... s-ham.html
I just cannot conceive of buying that at £143k. Even if I had squillions I would not pay that much for what is a very ordinary looking watch.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah and Hamilton hasn't even won anything this year! That's gotta be worth a bit of haggling.
MyLittleStudPony

On public transport, in faded blue jeans, showing off an old Rolex! :P
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:58 pm On public transport, in faded blue jeans, showing off an old Rolex! :P
and a member of the apple eco system.
MyLittleStudPony

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:59 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:58 pm On public transport, in faded blue jeans, showing off an old Rolex! :P
and a member of the apple eco system.

[retches uncontrollably]

You know we're just breaking your balls Iccy, just breaking your balls. ;) :thumbup: