29%
Maybe
22%

Total votes: 41

Bigjawa

Re: Will Russia invade the Ukraine?

Post by Bigjawa »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:21 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:40 am The whole thing is grinding down into a bloody stalemate. Fancy jets in huge numbers couldn't win Vietnam for the yanks, a few elderly F-16s won't win against Russia who will just keep sending poorly trained conscripts in enough numbers to eventually bleed Ukraine dry.
That was down to Rules of Engagement, not the ability of the aircraft.
I don't doubt the ability of the aircraft, even though it must have came as a rude surprise when they found out they couldn't Fox 1 their way out if trouble, I mean they dropped enough explosives on North Vietnam to change the height of mountains and they still lost because the NVs kept sending enough little guys with AKs to make the US give it up as a bad job.

Unlike the US, Putin doesn't care how many kids he sends home in bags as long as he wins.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:46 pm Unlike the US, Putin doesn't care how many kids he sends home in bags as long as he wins.
Neither did Johnson & he already knew it was unwinnable. Ever though the VC were a spent force after '68 Tet.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:21 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:40 am The whole thing is grinding down into a bloody stalemate. Fancy jets in huge numbers couldn't win Vietnam for the yanks, a few elderly F-16s won't win against Russia who will just keep sending poorly trained conscripts in enough numbers to eventually bleed Ukraine dry.
That was down to Rules of Engagement, not the ability of the aircraft.
Not forgetting of course with that comparison regards the unwinnable Vietnam war, the Russian invaders are the US and the Ukrainians are the indigenous VC.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:26 am I see it for what it is and that's my view.
If you think pumping weapons and money into Ukraine is the answer then frankly I don't think you know what the question is, and indeed I'd suggest that fighting imaginary Bolsheviks outside our borders seems to be creating a lot of real ones inside our own borders.

The USA and UK are failing to properly govern their own countries and IMO no amount of invasions, wars and proxies will save the day, even if they do manage to convince most of you to go along for the ride.
Pssst, ever heard of NATO? After Ukraine Poland and Baltic states, then Finland, then ...

Blades as sharp as you said the same thing about Nazi Germany.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Potter

Post by Potter »

irie wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:04 pm
Pssst, ever heard of NATO? After Ukraine Poland and Baltic states, then Finland, then ...

And by that logic the Irish wanting part of their island back means they won't stop at that, so on to mainland UK, France, Germany, etc?
Perhaps Russia should give the IRA a squadron of F16's?
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:44 am

And by that logic the Irish wanting part of their island back means they won't stop at that, so on to mainland UK, France, Germany, etc?
Posted elsewhere on RTTL but I guess you missed it.

Article by Vladimir Putin ”On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians“, July 12, 2021

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66181

Suggest you read all of it so as to avoid "cherry picking" (tm Michel Barnier).
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Quelle surprise......

BBC News - Wagner boss Prigozhin killed in plane crash in Russia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66599733
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bigjawa wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:14 pm Quelle surprise......

I blame that The Spin Doctor character ...

https://nosurprise.org/

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
irie

Post by irie »

Bigjawa wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:14 pm Quelle surprise......

He didn't fall out of a window? An individualist to the end.
Sky wrote: Ten killed in private jet crash north of Moscow - Wagner leader Yevgeny Prigozhin 'on passenger list'
But was he on the plane?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

If my name was Prigozhin and it ended up on a passenger list, I wouldn’t be getting on that plane.
Plato
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

I imagine he's a canny old goat and not easy to get rid of.
Potter

Post by Potter »

irie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:04 pm

Article by Vladimir Putin ”On the Historical Unity of Russians and Ukrainians“, July 12, 2021

Fair point, that was a clumsy NI comparison that I didn't think through other than to highlight foreign weapons/money support.

Perhaps a better comparison would be if Ireland seized Fermanagh and then weren't satisfied and also wanted Tyrone, Armagh, etc, as well.
It doesn't necessarily follow that once they'd united all of their historic lands that they'd come after mainland UK, France, Belgium, etc.

And the overarching thing that kills my pig is that the USA doesn't give a monkeys about the Ukrainian people, it only cares about imperialistic influence and control. Russia at least has a patriotic argument (even if it's outdated and I disagree with it in principle) for wanting to throw it's cloak over it's historic lands, the Americans are a drowning empire that is desperate to hang onto power and they don't care who gets killed in the scuffle.

I've seen commentary that suggested this could be the thing that triggers the collapse of the American empire building fantasy. Which would be poetic seeing as it was arguably the Americans that drove the final nail into the British one.
Unfortunately I think the yanks would go to full scale nuclear war before they lay down and died quietly.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

At one point the Russian empire was ruled from Kyiv, maybe they should take back their historic lands.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Potter wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:20 am
irie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:04 pm

Fair point, that was a clumsy NI comparison that I didn't think through other than to highlight foreign weapons/money support.

Perhaps a better comparison would be if Ireland seized Fermanagh and then weren't satisfied and also wanted Tyrone, Armagh, etc, as well.
It doesn't necessarily follow that once they'd united all of their historic lands that they'd come after mainland UK, France, Belgium, etc.
Increase their population by about x 29, giving them a near inexhaustible supply of troops, give them the world's second strongest military (or at least perceived) and throw in the world's largest nuclear arsenal. Maybe then it would be a better comparison.

It was only a few weeks ago that Pyotr Tolstoy, deputy chairman of the Russian Duma, stated on Russian TV that Romania and Bulgaria would be the next targets after Ukraine, because Russia believes that the Black Sea is Russian. It would be easy to write that off as nonsense, but he specifically mentioned large numbers of Russians who live on the Bulgarian coast being ready to go into action when called upon, rather than an all-out military assault.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

IMG_5130.jpg
IMG_5130.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 605 times
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I wonder if the CIA have the budget to start paying and using the leaderless Wagner boys . . .
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

So Prigozhin "confirmed "dead by genetic material yadda yadda.

I wonder if we'll ever find out the truth, it's not as if this is the first time he's been killed in a plane crash. Dozens of other Putin critics/enemies have died under "mysterious" circumstances with an hilarious number falling out of a window. One of them even fell through a window...

Given the rather blatant truism: enemy of Putin = good as dead, it amazes me that Pregozhin was allegedly flying in and out of Moscow in the first place. He's obviously no fool. I smell a rat.
Plato
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:08 pm
I personally find it difficult to believe anything the Russians say.

1. Maybe you can tell me why a much publicised failed incursion towards Kyiv was launched if all they wanted was to set up an autonomous region in the Donbas. Maybe my geography fu is lacking.

2. Russia is currently using heavy artillery to drive the Ukrainians out of the Donbas. I struggle to see why, after they've flattened the place they'd want to occupy it. They may eventually take enough ground to be happy but it has already come at a huge cost. As a plan, it doesn't have a lot of merit.

3. They've persuaded Sweden and Finland to seek the security of NATO, they've isolated themselves from the West, their military has been shown up as mostly incompetent, their logistics are shite and I suspect they'll soon run out of serviceable artillery gun barrels. Corruption appears to be the only strong point.

4. Ukraine shouldn't give them an inch. That too will come at a huge cost but if the Ukrainians want to be an independent sovereign state, they're going to and will, I think have to accept that cost. Good luck and more HIMARS to them!
Of course, there are plenty of people who would want a second opinion if the Russians said it was raining and they were standing in the rain. But that's not the point. First casualty of war etc and don't kid yourself everything you read in the western press is gospel.

One point at a time though. Only as I see it, so YMMV. There have been some good analysis pieces written on this so I'd encourage you to read them if you are interested in the issues and motivations. I'll link to a couple at the end, it's up to you if you choose to believe those. I've taken the liberty of numbering your paragraphs so you can link to my answers.

1. Russia, I believe, was at the outset hoping for a quick blitzkrieg, overrunning Kiev and forcing them to negotiate, after which a sympathetic regime could maintain the neutrality that Russia saw as essential and suppressing the poisonous pro-nationalist sentiments that were moving it away from being a sister state, with long standing ethnic Russian Ukrainians being discriminated against. But with the quick victory not occurring thanks to western defensive weapons and battlefield intel they changed tactics, moving to a more concerted push to take the Donbas and secure a land corridor to Crimea, all of these strongly ethnically Russian. From a strong negotiating point I believe they hope to press their demands for Ukraine to renounce NATO membership - something that NATO won't give them anyway as long as they remain in a conflict.

2. Both sides are using artillery fairly extensively. The Ukrainians because they can't get through the Russian defensive lines (which were drawn up after the spring counteroffensive was telegraphed well in advance) and the Russians to hit anything that moves near the front line with Ukrainian markings on it. Military doctrine dictates that an attacker needs a force of arms roughly 3x that of the defenders if he is to succeed. That's why Ukraine gave Russia such a hard time while they were attacking, but short of men, machines and air support has made no dent on the main Russian lines. At this stage of the year it's unlikely they will be able to sustain any sort of offensive for much longer as the heavy western tanks will get bogged down in mud, meanwhile western allies despite professing undying support, are starting to run out of arms and ammo to feed Ukraine's bottomless appetite. Whether that continues into another spring and summer while the cost bites and ever more Ukrainians die is questionable.

3. One of the reasons Russia was reluctant to move against Ukraine is that they knew this would drive the Baltics (always de facto NATO allies anyway) formally into the group. As for the security of NATO, it's a fair bet that NATO acting jointly could swiftly drive Russia out of Ukraine, but they are unwilling to intervene as that could escalate into a nuclear situation. What benefit NATO at all then? Does anyone think Putin would blink first in a standoff? While the extent of the help from the west did take them off balance in the early days, and there were mistakes made (tanks outrunning logistics and infantry support etc) they have learned and if anything it's the Ukrainians who are performing poorly - NATO bosses are on record saying they are stretching themselves too thinly over too large a front, they are forgetting the combined arms training they were taught and they are reverting to Soviet tactics burning through barrels and ammo in a barrage not aimed at anything in particular. In a war of attrition I wouldn't bet on them. They are losing men (of whom they had fewer in the first place), they are totally dependent on the generosity of NATO, mainly the US, and goodwill is being eroded not only by their perceived lack of success but also recent corruption scandals - logistics, recruiting etc. Make no mistake it's a way of life over there.

4. There's nothing better than a nice little foreign war if you want to take the minds of people at home off your problems at home, particularly in an election year. It worked for Dubya - if you don't have a war to rely on, start your own. But with ever reducing prospects of achieving the bullish aims of driving Russia out of the pre-2014 Ukraine borders you have to wonder how long the US and its clients will be willing to fight to the last drop of Ukrainian blood. Because it's not only Ukraine's decision. If the US and others said "negotiate or we stop the supply of arms" they'd be at the table within a week, maybe a month. It would be a bitter pill, sure, and Zelenskiy's career wouldn't survive it, but avoiding thousands dying for the sake of rhetoric in a war they can't win might just be a better outcome. Will the US do it? Well, the death of hundreds of thousands in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria didn't do much for freedom, democracy and the rules based international order. It's almost as if the rules don't apply if they're inconvenient to a certain country that's happy to strongarm its allies into complying with its will. Perhaps, in the end, the person who will bring peace to Ukraine is the splendidly isolationist and egotistical Donald Trump. Wouldn't that be a thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... on-ukraine

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... 022-russia
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I'm not going to go over all of your response to my post which is over a year old but I think I'll just respond to a couple of points. I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment.
Tomcat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:12 pm
Of course, there are plenty of people who would want a second opinion if the Russians said it was raining and they were standing in the rain. But that's not the point. First casualty of war etc and don't kid yourself everything you read in the western press is gospel.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the two articles you've referred to both from the Western press? I may be wrong but even so I'm not going to take anything it prints as gospel - I'll follow your advice :thumbup:
Tomcat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:12 pm 1. Russia, I believe, was at the outset hoping for a quick blitzkrieg, overrunning Kiev (*The transliteration Kyiv was legally mandated by the Ukrainian government in 1995 ;) ) and forcing them to negotiate . . . But with the quick victory not occurring thanks to western defensive weapons and battlefield intel they changed tactics
*my bold

I think you are conflating the early supposed blitzkreig (the old enemies, the Nazis, did it so much better) and the overrunning of Kyiv with later 'battles' in the East and South. Russia's advance on Kyiv didn't fail because of Western defensive weapons and battlefield intel. It failed because the vehicles, both fighting vehicles and logistical support were in shit order and weren't up to the job. It was a logistical disaster. When you have a single MSR that is blocked by broken down, knackered vehicles the vehicles and soldiers in the vanguard are going to find it very difficult to continue their advance and that long tail is going to be easy pickings even without western defensive weapons and intel.

I'm no expert of course but my 23 years in logistics (the real stuff, not misnamed supply chain management) all spent during the Cold War when Russia was seen as the most likely enemy aggressor in Europe, including being an advisor to Divisional and Brigade commanders on logistical and other matters gave me a bit of a leg up when the videos started rolling in. I found them most entertaining and started to wonder what the fuck we'd all been worried about back then. We, NATO planned to fall back onto supplies while the invading Russians would have need a huge and widespread logistic nightmare to contend with.

I'll say again though, neither Russia nor Ukraine can win this war. There's going to be no unconditional surrender signed off in a railway carriage somewhere. It may even go on for decades after the main hostilities are settled.
irie

Post by irie »

Tomcat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:12 pm Blah blah ~900 words blah blah blah ...
tl;dr

If you can't say what you mean in 5 succinct paragraphs then you don't know what you're talking about.