In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
MyLittleStudPony

Re: In todays news...

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:54 am
JackyJoll wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:49 am This is a bit violent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w172z ... are-mobile

It is a bit violent, but it WILL act as a deterrent and they won't need to shoot many more. What is the point of an armed border guard if they are not going to repel/shoot unauthorized intruders? Come to that, what is the point of a border if you cannot stop said intruders?
Now that's the Brexit we all voted for.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:55 am

It is a bit violent, but it WILL act as a deterrent and they won't need to shoot many more. What is the point of an armed border guard if they are not going to repel/shoot unauthorized intruders? Come to that, what is the point of a border if you cannot stop said intruders?
Now that's the Brexit we all voted for.
"Stop the boats...with GUNBOATS!"
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Who drew up the borders and were they agreed by the local people or simply arbitrary by some bureaucrat who'd never been to the area?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

It is a bit violent,
Probably more than a bit. How often do folk go quickly from shot to dead like in the films?, or in a cattle slaughterhouse.
They've probably shitted themselves first, had a lump blown off somewhere unglamorous and then died rather more slowly and screamy.

I agree that if you have a deterrent you should probably be prepared to go through with it but this seems like a bit final.
How about a big fine with 28 days to pay, or watching a training video?
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Given that the UN first raised concerns with the Saudis 10 months ago, it doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent if it's still going on.

BBC News
They highlighted "what appears to be a systematic pattern of large-scale, indiscriminate cross-border killings, using artillery shelling and small arms fired by Saudi security forces against migrants..."
Its report contains graphic descriptions of rotting corpses scattered throughout the border area, captured migrants being asked by Saudi border guards which leg they want to be shot through, and machine guns and mortars being used to attack large groups of terrified people

No doubt UN member state leaders will be falling over themselves to appear shocked and saddened now that it's hit the headlines, despite the UN being aware of it 10 months ago at the very least. :eh:
Ant

Post by Ant »

They don't fuck about, them Saudi folk. I bet they don't have the crime waves and anti social behaviour like we do here.
Ant

Post by Ant »

And it gets worse for the UK, as the lawyer who defended child grooming gangs, turned London Mayor releases an anti white racist rant via his office.

We can all see where things are leading, even if others can't....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... londoners/
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Ant wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:35 pm And it gets worse for the UK, as the lawyer who defended child grooming gangs, turned London Mayor releases an anti white racist rant via his office.

We can all see where things are leading, even if others can't....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... londoners/
Having lived/worked in London for 48 years, I can safely say that a picture of a smiling, happy, hand-holding, middle-class family walking along the Thames in no way represents 'real' Londoners. But I guess a picture of an obese, chain smoking, beer swilling single mum wouldn't have gone down too well either :wtf:
WTF wears a shirt under a v-neck jumper along with shitty plimsoles in London ffs :D

real londoners.jpeg
real londoners.jpeg (883.22 KiB) Viewed 232 times
Still, at least it gives stupid people the chance to jump up and down with excitement because they get to play the race card in reverse, due to their inability to look past the colour of the family and the mayor of London. Brown mayor + white family = anti white racist rant. :wtf:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

London is over, just, 50%, white I think. So arguably a jolly bunch of whiteys is still just representative of Londoners. A picNmix family of mixed races wouldn't be representative either, rather forced. There must be massive swings in the demographic by borough though. If you really wanted to be representative of those hogging the embankment, likely you'd end up with Chinese tourists.

I tend to think that if this is all there is to level against Khan then (a) he's probably doing ok (b) it only makes you think that genuine criticism by the same rags is probably full of holes.
Potter

Post by Potter »

A mob of aggressive young male migrants in Yemen try to force their way over the border into KSA and (allegedly) get shot.
I'm struggling to whip up any kind of surprise at that outcome. What's their next trick? Trying to storm the border in North Korea whilst shouting "Don't shoot me, it's not fair"...
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Potter wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:32 pm A mob of aggressive young male migrants in Yemen try to force their way over the border into KSA and (allegedly) get shot.
Only one use of the word "allegedly" in that sentence suggests you're confident that the rest of it is fact. Care to share your source?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hoonercat wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:53 pm
Potter wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:32 pm A mob of aggressive young male migrants in Yemen try to force their way over the border into KSA and (allegedly) get shot.
Only one use of the word "allegedly" in that sentence suggests you're confident that the rest of it is fact. Care to share your source?
CNN see it slightly differently:

Saudi border guards killed “hundreds” of Ethiopian migrants and asylum seekers crossing the Yemen-Saudi border between March 2022 and June 2023, Human Rights Watch alleged in a report released Monday.

The organization said it interviewed 42 Ethiopian migrants and asylum seekers and analyzed over 350 videos and photographs posted to social media, as well as satellite imagery. Together, HRW said it showed evidence of dead and wounded along the migrant trail, in camps and medical facilities, as well as burial sites and “expanding Saudi border security infrastructure.”

Videos shared on TikTok and Facebook purport to show dead bodies along the migrant trail near the Yemen-Saudi border, as well as migrants with wounds consistent with injuries from explosive blasts or gunshots, according to a forensic pathologist. HRW claimed to have sourced and verified the videos.

Several videos purportedly recorded near an informal migrant camp appear to show Saudi border guard posts, and newly constructed fences next to one. HRW further said that satellite imagery obtained by the nonprofit also indicated growing graveyards nearby.

“Saudi border guards have used explosive weapons indiscriminately and shot people at close range, including women and children, in a pattern that is widespread and systematic."
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

My source is my decades of experience all across the world, in multiples roles, observing that the majority of migrants attempting to illegally enter countries are young men and that they often act aggressively.

It is an assumption, but feel free to correct me that they're mostly something else, if you have proof.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

If they're armed to the teeth and acting aggressively that's one thing that probably warrants a lethal response. Copping an attitude and shouting a bit, probably not.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Every time I open this thread to check you're all behaving, 2 things spring to mind.

1. The world is bonkers
2. So are many of you.

The things that enter your minds, the reactions, the ' this really matters ' I simply don't get it.

Maybe I live in a little bubble, maybe I'm wrong, but honestly guys, sometimes some of you need to just ignore "the world", if it doesn't directly affect you today, then worry about it another day .

Not really a rant, just an observation of society, or here, media etc.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Whoever came up with the bubble idea was a bloody genius. Is that war still on. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:19 pm Every time I open this thread to check you're all behaving, 2 things spring to mind.

1. The world is bonkers
2. So are many of you.

The things that enter your minds, the reactions, the ' this really matters ' I simply don't get it.

Maybe I live in a little bubble, maybe I'm wrong, but honestly guys, sometimes some of you need to just ignore "the world", if it doesn't directly affect you today, then worry about it another day .

I agree the world is bonkers.
I agree that some of the people on here are bonkers too.

I disagree about it 'not mattering', it does matter.

Most of the disagreement is about the precise bits of what matters. Eg, people getting shot/blown up, or people being free to go where they want despite the wishes of the residents. And also what the end result will be, a nice multicultiral melting pot where everyone lives happily, or a shitstorm of civil unrest.

IMO of course, many others disagree.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Potter wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:32 pm
My source is my decades of experience all across the world, in multiples roles, observing that the majority of migrants attempting to illegally enter countries are young men and that they often act aggressively.

It is an assumption, but feel free to correct me that they're mostly something else, if you have proof.
Completely up to you as to what what you believe, it's no skin off my nose. My only gripe was you presenting something as fact when it was an assumption. If you're genuinely interested, try reading the witness statements from the people who were actually there. This one is from a 20 year old woman who was part of a group that had been released by Saudi border guards.
The Saudis picked us up from the detention center in Daer and put us in a minibus going back to the Yemen border. When they released us, they created a kind of chaos; they screamed at us to “get out of the car and get away.” They trapped us into the same lane, they didn’t want us to spread out in case we tried to go back to Saudi I think, and this is when they started to fire mortars – to keep us into the mountain line, they fired the mortar from left and right. When we were one kilometer away, the border guards could see us. We were resting together after running a lot…and that’s when they fired mortars on our group. Directly at us. There were 20 in our group and only ten survived. Some of the mortars hit the rocks and then the [fragments of the] rock hit us…The weapon looks like a rocket launcher, it had six “mouths,” six holes from where they fire and it was fired from the back of a vehicle – it fires several at the same time. They fired on us like rain.
When I remember, I cry... I saw a guy calling for help, he lost both his legs. He was screaming; he was saying, “Are you leaving me here? Please don’t leave me.” We couldn’t help him because we were running for our lives. There are several people who lost their body parts.
And another
We walked about eight hours [from Al Thabit] to arrive at that place [where the attack happened]. There is … a space where you take a rest. We stayed there for a few hours… As soon as we started to walk again, the border guards started to fire on us – like ten times.
They [the Saudi border guards] … were firing big things like a mortar …They fired it from the back of a car. We could see where the border guards were positioned. They were in four spots. We lost 130 people that day – the majority were women and there were children there too
And this one from a 14 year old girl
We were fired on repeatedly. I saw people killed in a way I have never imagined. I saw 30 killed people on the spot. I pushed myself under a rock and slept there. I could feel people sleeping around me. I realized what I thought were people sleeping around me were actually dead bodies. I woke up and I was alone.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:17 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:19 pm Every time I open this thread to check you're all behaving, 2 things spring to mind.

1. The world is bonkers
2. So are many of you.

I agree the world is bonkers.
I agree that some of the people on here are bonkers too.

I disagree about it 'not mattering', it does matter.

Most of the disagreement is about the precise bits of what matters. Eg, people getting shot/blown up, or people being free to go where they want despite the wishes of the residents. And also what the end result will be, a nice multicultiral melting pot where everyone lives happily, or a shitstorm of civil unrest.

IMO of course, many others disagree.
Does it though? Directly to you? Not just any of the issues in news from here in last 24 hours, but pretty much all of them.

"This happened in America"
"Someone got killed here"
"Someone in London did xyz"
" the prince didn't go to the football"
" Elon musk says....."
"Inflation"
"Public transport '
"Ulez"

It's all just bollox and posturing from random people who don't really exist apart from in an article. It's not even News really. It's just rubbish mostly being spouted to get some clicks and justify their job existence.

I even laugh at the pension thread with all the discussions, but 99.9% of people can't or won't do a lot about it.
"Mine has dropped" yeah, so has all of ours, but wtf can you do about it?

I don't expect many to agree but as far as I go I use a logic
1. Does it directly affect me?
2. If yes, can I actually do anything about it?

That's it. I have to say, using my logic, 99.999% of things don't matter.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

But if everyone adopted that attitude Hitler would have triumphed.

Invaded Poland? Doesnt affect me.
Invaded Belgium? Doesnt affect me.
Invaded Holland? ditto
Invaded France? "

By the time stuff like that does affect you personaly it is far too late.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!