In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Count Steer

Re: In todays news...

Post by Count Steer »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:19 pm
gremlin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:02 am 'Colour blind casting' is quite the thing when deciding who should pretend to be somebody else for your entertainment:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color-bli ... r%20gender.

Ergo, why should it matter if the Gentile Helen Mirren plays Jewish Golda Meir?
Dave Baddiel had a go at the Oppenheimer film a couple of weeks ago in the times. Apparently as Cillian Murphy isn’t Jewish then he shouldn’t be playing Oppenheimer.

It was a little bit tongue in cheek, but is was an observation that the politically correct appropriate casting of other races doesn’t seem to appear to be the case with Jews.
I expect he made a fuss when Anthony Sher played Richard III too, the English king being a hunchback, English, (not South African) and not gay or Jewish. :D Works all ways up dunnit?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:41 pm Is there a drink called Prime?
https://drinkprime.uk/

Flavoured water. 6 litres, £25.

The advertising is about whats not in it:

Zero Added Sugar
20 Calories
10.5% Coconut Water
BCAAs + B Vitamins
Antioxidants + Electrolytes
Caffeine-Free
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

gremlin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:02 am 'Colour blind casting' is quite the thing when deciding who should pretend to be somebody else for your entertainment:

Dave Baddiel had a go at the Oppenheimer film a couple of weeks ago in the times. Apparently as Cillian Murphy isn’t Jewish then he shouldn’t be playing Oppenheimer.

It was a little bit tongue in cheek, but is was an observation that the politically correct appropriate casting of other races doesn’t seem to appear to be the case with Jews.
Forgive my ignorance, my isn't Judaism a religion? Does this then mean that an actor's religious leanings have to be taken into consideration when casting, too?

Wow. It's getting complicated.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:21 pm

Forgive my ignorance, my isn't Judaism a religion?
Judaism is, yes, but you can be a Jewish atheist. I guess you could be a Catholic too. :D

Judaism is an Abrahamic, monotheistic, and ethnic religion comprising the collective religious, cultural, and legal tradition and civilization of the Jewish people. It has its roots as an organized religion in the Middle East during the Bronze Age.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Forgive my ignorance, my isn't Judaism a religion? Does this then mean that an actor's religious leanings have to be taken into consideration when casting, too?

I think ridiculous is the word, not complicated
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I think being a Jew is more than a religion, not sure it’s a race, but I would say it’s definitely an ethnic group.

In baddiel’s case he’s a Jew and an atheist. As he never tires of telling us.

And acting should be acting.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:31 pm
In baddiel’s case he’s a Jew and an atheist. As he never tires of telling us.

He's certainly not a comedian.....
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:31 pm I think being a Jew is more than a religion, not sure it’s a race, but I would say it’s definitely an ethnic group.
It can't be a race/ethnicity because there are Asian, Black, White & Arab Jews. It's merely a religion, anything other claim is bullshit... unless you think I'd suddenly become black if I converted to Rastafarianism or Asian if I became a Buddhist etc?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66562640
John Lewis Partnership, which owns both brands, has written to the Police Federation to say officers can make the most of the offer - as long as they bring a reusable cup.

Its head of security said that even just having a police car parked outside might deter would-be thieves.
Is it ok that shops can bribe the police to get a better service?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:56 pm
wheelnut wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:31 pm I think being a Jew is more than a religion, not sure it’s a race, but I would say it’s definitely an ethnic group.
It can't be a race/ethnicity because there are Asian, Black, White & Arab Jews. It's merely a religion, anything other claim is bullshit... unless you think I'd suddenly become black if I converted to Rastafarianism or Asian if I became a Buddhist etc?
I’m not sure that race and ethnicity are interchangeable terms, hence why I said not a race but an ethnic group.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:00 pm I’m not sure that race and ethnicity are interchangeable terms, hence why I said not a race but an ethnic group.
There's one race: Human, which is actually a species, everything beyond that is ethnicity.

If you you remove the "race" word from dividing people then *racists* can correctly be described as absolute fucking morons.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I know I'm a cynical, old curmudgeon, but....

BBC News - Cost of living: Chip shop's £1 meal for struggling families
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66545453

I know the Beeb loves to play up on cost of living crisis stories, but reading this makes me wonder if a chip shop selling £1 meals to kids during the summer holidays is an accurate barometer of the economic situation.
Just throwing it out for consideration, but if the local kids get wind that a local shop is doing a decent lunch for a quid, they're gonna turn up in droves, as it's cheap as chips (pun intended).
By her own admission, the owner avoids 'red tape' by not asking if the kids are hard up.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:01 am I know I'm a cynical, old curmudgeon, but....

I know the Beeb loves to play up on cost of living crisis stories, but reading this makes me wonder if a chip shop selling £1 meals to kids during the summer holidays is an accurate barometer of the economic situation.
Just throwing it out for consideration, but if the local kids get wind that a local shop is doing a decent lunch for a quid, they're gonna turn up in droves, as it's cheap as chips (pun intended).
By her own admission, the owner avoids 'red tape' by not asking if the kids are hard up.
Marketing - innit!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:56 pm
Well the medical world sees race and ethnicity like this "In general, ethnicity has historically referred to a person’s cultural identity (eg, language, customs, religion) and race to broad categories of people that are divided arbitrarily but based on ancestral origin and physical characteristics".

I don't think I've ever seen religion identified on a case report form, probably because religious persuasion is of no help whatsoever. But I can quite understand that religious folk think of themselves by religion first and race, ethnicity, sex after.

However Baddiel is just a piss taker on the windup.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

And yet his success mocks everyone on here's failure.

Perhaps him getting a double first from Cambridge has something to do with that. It's hard to fail when you have a good degree.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

gremlin wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:01 am I know I'm a cynical, old curmudgeon, but....

A chippy local to me back home does free chippy dinners around Christmas time, no questions asked. I think it's partially subbed by other local businesses and benefactors. Great idea. Crucially they didn't succumb to soundbite crappy journalism to determine how successful/ unsuccessful it was and turn it into a political drama.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:36 am And yet his success mocks everyone on here's failure.

Perhaps him getting a double first from Cambridge has something to do with that. It's hard to fail when you have a good degree.
He fails to make me laugh.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:49 am This is a bit violent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w172z ... are-mobile

It is a bit violent, but it WILL act as a deterrent and they won't need to shoot many more. What is the point of an armed border guard if they are not going to repel/shoot unauthorized intruders? Come to that, what is the point of a border if you cannot stop said intruders?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

JackyJoll wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:49 am This is a bit violent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w172z ... are-mobile

Katie Hopkins's knickers will be wringing if she listens to that.....