No
29%
Maybe
22%

Total votes: 41

David

Re: Will Russia invade the Ukraine?

Post by David »

But would that be Putin v1 or any of the lookalikes?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mussels wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:40 am The Stinger came into service just after the 8086 chip so I doubt it includes anything that advanced. They could probably make most of the electronics needed in a garden shed.
Ye ole 8086, I think I have a stash of them somewhere.....
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Ant wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 pm
Mussels wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:40 am The Stinger came into service just after the 8086 chip so I doubt it includes anything that advanced. They could probably make most of the electronics needed in a garden shed.
If you find any then I think I have a book on compiling machine code for them somewhere.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:25 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:58 pm
If you find any then I think I have a book on compiling machine code for them somewhere.
Which reminds me, some of the old stuff I have with eproms in it, I ought to make back ups of.....I know since I last did one, there are handy USB eprom programmers available.
irie

Post by irie »

I think that Ukraine's target may to establish a corridor to the Sea of Azov just before the rains come in and turn the countryside to mud thus bogging down any Russian armour response. Thus cutting the land bridge to Crimea, and to also destroy the Kerch bridge, and lay siege to Crimea.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Finally.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-approv ... 20Thursday.
WASHINGTON, Aug 17 (Reuters) - The United States has approved sending F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine from Denmark and the Netherlands to defend against Russian invaders as soon as pilot training is completed, a U.S. official said on Thursday.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

irie wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:53 am Finally.

WASHINGTON, Aug 17 (Reuters) - The United States has approved sending F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine from Denmark and the Netherlands to defend against Russian invaders as soon as pilot training is completed, a U.S. official said on Thursday.
Is this necessarily a good thing?

They're getting a load of old F-16s and a few weeks training. All Russia has to do is stick a few S-400 SAM systems well inside their own territory and they'll simply remove the F-16s from the sky.

Its not like sending a load of amateurs with AKs into Ukraine, the Russian air force is as professional as any other and they'll make a concerted effort to down those jets. And they'll do it.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:48 pm

They're getting a load of old F-16s and a few weeks training. All Russia has to do is stick a few S-400 SAM systems well inside their own territory and they'll simply remove the F-16s from the sky.

Its not like sending a load of amateurs with AKs into Ukraine, the Russian air force is as professional as any other and they'll make a concerted effort to down those jets. And they'll do it.
I'm not so sure, Russia doesn't have air superiority and Ukraine has managed to keep some old Migs still flying.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Mussels wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:25 pm

I'm not so sure, Russia doesn't have air superiority and Ukraine has managed to keep some old Migs still flying.
If the Ukrainians are clever they'll be making much of flying the F16s when they get them and then letting drones simulate them into contested airspace and let the RuSSians expend very expensive and with low replacement rate S400 interceptors knocking down fake F16s, all the time giving the Ukranians locations for the very expensive S400 radars.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:48 pm

If the Ukrainians are clever they'll be making much of flying the F16s when they get them and then letting drones simulate them into contested airspace and let the RuSSians expend very expensive and with low replacement rate S400 interceptors knocking down fake F16s, all the time giving the Ukranians locations for the very expensive S400 radars.
But can a drone really simulate an F-16 at 500 knots?

The S-400s won't just be sitting all alone, they'll be protected by Buks and other shorter range weapons. Chances are that even if Ukraine came across a huge stash of HARMs, they'd just have a pretty fireworks show.

The whole thing is grinding down into a bloody stalemate. Fancy jets in huge numbers couldn't win Vietnam for the yanks, a few elderly F-16s won't win against Russia who will just keep sending poorly trained conscripts in enough numbers to eventually bleed Ukraine dry.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:40 am
MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:48 pm
But can a drone really simulate an F-16 at 500 knots?

The S-400s won't just be sitting all alone, they'll be protected by Buks and other shorter range weapons. Chances are that even if Ukraine came across a huge stash of HARMs, they'd just have a pretty fireworks show.

The whole thing is grinding down into a bloody stalemate. Fancy jets in huge numbers couldn't win Vietnam for the yanks, a few elderly F-16s won't win against Russia who will just keep sending poorly trained conscripts in enough numbers to eventually bleed Ukraine dry.
The Israelis used drones to good effect to force the Syrian air defences to expose themselves. For this conflict, who knows, hopefully the Ukrainians use the F16's wisely and hopefully the Russians don't.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:40 am

That's it, in a nutshell.
Potter

Post by Potter »

And to what end? So the yanks can restore Ukraine back to being one of the most corrupt countries on the planet?

I don't want any more of my tax money being given to them, I couldn't give a monkeys if it ends up being run by Russia, at least anymore than I care about who runs Somalia or any other place I don't care about.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Potter wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:02 pm And to what end? So the yanks can restore Ukraine back to being one of the most corrupt countries on the planet?

I don't want any more of my tax money being given to them, I couldn't give a monkeys if it ends up being run by Russia, at least anymore than I care about who runs Somalia or any other place I don't care about.
Out of interest, do you care about Taiwan?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Potter wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:02 pm And to what end? So the yanks can restore Ukraine back to being one of the most corrupt countries on the planet?

Good lord, that's a bit harsh isn't it?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

So why single out Ukraine? Are you trying to tell us that Russia isn't corrupt, or that the USA (and the UK for that matter) aren't corrupt? I'd venture to say that support for Ukraine is more concerned with stopping Putin's creeping annexation of all the former USSR states than "mirror mirror on the wall, who's the corruptest of them all"...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Kneerly Down wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:39 pm

Out of interest, do you care about Taiwan?
Come on KD, you know how this works.
Ask everyone else first and give him time to do a quick headcount before he decides which contrary view to take :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I see it for what it is and that's my view.
If you think pumping weapons and money into Ukraine is the answer then frankly I don't think you know what the question is, and indeed I'd suggest that fighting imaginary Bolsheviks outside our borders seems to be creating a lot of real ones inside our own borders.

The USA and UK are failing to properly govern their own countries and IMO no amount of invasions, wars and proxies will save the day, even if they do manage to convince most of you to go along for the ride.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:40 am The whole thing is grinding down into a bloody stalemate. Fancy jets in huge numbers couldn't win Vietnam for the yanks, a few elderly F-16s won't win against Russia who will just keep sending poorly trained conscripts in enough numbers to eventually bleed Ukraine dry.
That was down to Rules of Engagement, not the ability of the aircraft.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Potter wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:26 am I see it for what it is and that's my view.
If you think pumping weapons and money into Ukraine is the answer then frankly I don't think you know what the question is, and indeed I'd suggest that fighting imaginary Bolsheviks outside our borders seems to be creating a lot of real ones inside our own borders.

The USA and UK are failing to properly govern their own countries and IMO no amount of invasions, wars and proxies will save the day, even if they do manage to convince most of you to go along for the ride.
The Galtieri/Hussein gambit...