The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Potter »

I wore my Garmin earlier when I went for a run, then took it off.

My lad has been through another Garmin and two Apple watches since I bought us both the model I'm wearing (about two years ago), he's a sucker for the latest tech.
All I want is GPS and time data, heart rate is interesting but I'm not bothered and after years of training I can always guess within 5bpm anyway.

His latest Apple Watch does all kinds of things, even ECG.
That sort of tech might be something I'm interested in as I get older and more likely to croak with an undiagnosed problem.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

To answer the inevitable question, The Rolex Deepsea, unveiled in 2008, can withstand the pressure at a depth of 3900 metres (12,800 feet), and the Deepsea Challenge, presented in 2022, can reach a depth of 11,000 metres (36,090 feet).

I'm reliably informed.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I was offered a brand new Sea Dweller Deep Sea from a dealer 3 or 4 years ago as a cancelled order for £9k. I deliberated a few hours too long and lost out on it - gutted.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:14 pm I was offered a brand new Sea Dweller Deep Sea from a dealer 3 or 4 years ago as a cancelled order for £9k. I deliberated a few hours too long and lost out on it - gutted.
Ah, only 1220 metres depth.

OK for snorkeling.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:16 pm
v8-powered wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:14 pm I was offered a brand new Sea Dweller Deep Sea from a dealer 3 or 4 years ago as a cancelled order for £9k. I deliberated a few hours too long and lost out on it - gutted.
Ah, only 1220 metres depth.

OK for snorkeling.
Or washing the dishes :thumbup:
Docca

Post by Docca »

Gave my Apple Watch to one of the kids and got myself a Garmin Epix 2 pro ( I think that’s what it’s called)

Better battery life and, well, so far I like it.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:43 am ... heart rate is interesting but I'm not bothered and after years of training I can always guess within 5bpm anyway ...
I was with someone recently and the paramedic in the ambulance control room asked whether he was wearing a watch that recorded heart rate, to use as a diagnostic aid.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Horse wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:07 pm
Potter wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:43 am ... heart rate is interesting but I'm not bothered and after years of training I can always guess within 5bpm anyway ...
I was with someone recently and the paramedic in the ambulance control room asked whether he was wearing a watch that recorded heart rate, to use as a diagnostic aid.
I bought one of these watches recently and when it didn't work as expected I looked it up I found out they don't work particularly well on men or when excercising, no way I'd trust them for any diagnositcs.
It relies on a green light reflections to see how red the skin is, it doesn't take much to cause mistakes.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Plus Mrs D's used to have a really weird habit of falling off in her sleep and landing on my face, green lights a flashin'.

I thought I was getting abducted by Aliens 3 nights a week. :D
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Not remotely expensive but I really like these TW Steel watches. Solid and big enough to see without my specs
Attachments
IMG_20230806_192725.jpg
IMG_20230806_192725.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 537 times
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I think if mine stops I probably won’t need a watch to let me know. 🥴
David

Post by David »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:32 pm Not remotely expensive but I really like these TW Steel watches. Solid and big enough to see without my specs
That made my eyes go funny.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When Mrs D was pregnant 'they' had to monitor her for a number of conditions for various medical history reasons.

They did use her Garmin data, I suppose what it lacks in accuracy it makes up for in being on you 24/7?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

David wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:40 pm
DefTrap wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:32 pm Not remotely expensive but I really like these TW Steel watches. Solid and big enough to see without my specs
That made my eyes go funny.
He was right though, you can read it when it's blurred :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:40 pm When Mrs D was pregnant 'they' had to monitor her for a number of conditions for various medical history reasons.

They did use her Garmin data, I suppose what it lacks in accuracy it makes up for in being on you 24/7?
Seems accurate and consistent enough to me. None of them (well, maybe one according to a friend that did some research*) will monitor stuff like fibrillation but for the basic bumpdiddybump stuff, if they're fitted properly and you don't slather your wrists in sun tan lotion etc, they seem absolutely fine.

* He said he had occasional atrial fibrillation and wanted to monitor it and found only one watch that did it.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:43 pm
I bought one of these watches recently and when it didn't work as expected I looked it up I found out they don't work particularly well on men or when excercising, no way I'd trust them for any diagnositcs.
The guy had collapsed. It was 'instant', by phone, diagnosis ahead of an emergency ambulance arriving.

Obviously, that crew had all of their full kit with them, but they weren't then when he collapsed and was unconscious.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I’ve been looking at another exercise watch, I’m not sure if it’s worth it but I like the idea of a smart companion when I’m running. I went the other day and overcooked it by a fair bit and knackered myself up for a couple of days, so a reminder to train more productively rather than getting carried away might be good.
Potter

Post by Potter »

There is a long story to this particular watch, its > twenty years old and it’s been around the world and done several operational tours with me. It even almost got me killed when someone tried to pinch it and I decided it was worth resisting.

It then sat unloved in a garage drawer for another few years looking pretty sorry for itself, covered in the detritus of all those years of faithful service, until my lad wanted a cheap but reliable watch for basic training and I remembered it. We cleaned it up with some Autosol, put a new battery in, a new strap on and off he went.

Now having done its job he’s wearing his Submariner and he gave the watch back to me and I’m using it daily.

It’s bashed up a bit and certainly worth less than the strap cost me (£6) but I’d fight you if you tried to take it from me and I’d give up most of all my other watches before I gave this up.
David

Post by David »

FFS......how hard can it be to post a foto....anyway... I have a Rotary, cost me £70....it tells the time and date..it has lap times(?)..stop watch and shit....it is sufficiently wasser prufff....
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Potter wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:44 am There is a long story to this particular watch, its > twenty years old and it’s been around the world and done several operational tours with me. It even almost got me killed when someone tried to pinch it and I decided it was worth resisting.

It then sat unloved in a garage drawer for another few years looking pretty sorry for itself, covered in the detritus of all those years of faithful service, until my lad wanted a cheap but reliable watch for basic training and I remembered it. We cleaned it up with some Autosol, put a new battery in, a new strap on and off he went.

Now having done its job he’s wearing his Submariner and he gave the watch back to me and I’m using it daily.

It’s bashed up a bit and certainly worth less than the strap cost me (£6) but I’d fight you if you tried to take it from me and I’d give up most of all my other watches before I gave this up.
I've had one of them indiglos for year, brilliant for camping. Also when trying to find a hotel toilet and your mrs doesn't want you putting the light on. Like a dim torch. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3