All weather commuting kit

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Taff

Re: All weather commuting kit

Post by Taff »

I emailed Altberg them asking if they had any boots in stock and the answer was nope, not a single pair.

They are all made to order and best case forecast for delivery is 10 - 12 weeks for most models so would most likely get them next year, and for the Wayfarer the wait would be 20-22 weeks..best case.

I'll have a sleep on it a decide if I want to wait that long for a pair of expensive wellies :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Taff

Post by Taff »

I tried a load of A* boots on friday afternoon but didn't find any that fit nicely which is a shame because I quite like the stylee of some of them.

I like the look of these, they have good reviews and look chunky enough that they'll last years but I can't find a store that has stock locally to try a pair on.

Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

What about gloves?

I need a new pair. I want a pair that do it all - warm, waterproof and with good abrasion protection. And they need to be pretty robust - the clutch on my dear old Guzzi is quite heavy, and on both my last pairs of Dainese goretex gloves, the left hand fingertips for middle and ring finger wore through in less than a year. They were replaced under warranty, but the second pair did it too, and I came to the conclusion I just needed tougher gloves.

What works for you?
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@Trogladyte Over the years, I’ve found Held gloves pretty durable. And Racer gloves (like these) are also excellent and have always lasted me well too. Now I’m using Spidi NK-6 gloves and I’m impressed so far. No signs of wear after a few thousand miles, comfy and waterproof. The liner can’t pull out because it’s bonded to the outer, while the drawstring reduces faff and eliminates drafts up sleeves.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taff wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:19 pm I tried a load of A* boots on friday afternoon but didn't find any that fit nicely which is a shame because I quite like the stylee of some of them.

I like the look of these, they have good reviews and look chunky enough that they'll last years but I can't find a store that has stock locally to try a pair on.

I like those,bit of the 'Terminator' look going on!

Sidi sizes alway seen to run smaller than the label says. I'm usually a nine and a half,but my Sidi boots are a snug fit at size 10.

I've given up buying bike clothing online,it all really needs to be tried on.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taff

Post by Taff »

Trogladyte wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:50 pm What about gloves?

I need a new pair. I want a pair that do it all - warm, waterproof and with good abrasion protection. And they need to be pretty robust - the clutch on my dear old Guzzi is quite heavy, and on both my last pairs of Dainese goretex gloves, the left hand fingertips for middle and ring finger wore through in less than a year. They were replaced under warranty, but the second pair did it too, and I came to the conclusion I just needed tougher gloves.

What works for you?
I've been using 2 pairs of Halvarssons gloves for about 11 or 12 years, Leather for summer textile for winter and 100k miles+ and they haven't worn through and still do a decent job. I'm not sure how waterproof the textile ones are because I fit bar muffs for winter. I do know that if they get wet through the inner isn't bonded to the outer so it's a right PITA to get your hand back into the wet glove.
Taff

Post by Taff »

Skub wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:57 pm like those,bit of the 'Terminator' look going on!

Sidi sizes alway seen to run smaller than the label says. I'm usually a nine and a half,but my Sidi boots are a snug fit at size 10.

I've given up buying bike clothing online,it all really needs to be tried on.
Agree, I remember the sidi verterba that I had many years ago being narrow fitting, that's why I really want to try before I buy :thumbup:
Taff

Post by Taff »

little update.

The Dainese kit was 2 months within it's 5 year warranty, I hadn't considered sending it back because I had no idea where the receipt was, however... leave MrsTaff with a problem of finding the receipt or it costing a grand for new kit she wouldn't let it lie until it was found :clap:

So with the receipt found I packed them up and sent them back, it's just a waiting game to find out what Dainese propose to do, if anything.

Last week we were down Exeter direction so popped into Bridge motorcycles to try on the Sidi boots, they only had the full length version in the shop and a size 44 was bang on and felt really comfy, I do quite like the stiff MX boot feel, so I got them to order a pair of the short version and post them out to me. They arrived today.

They are just the job for me. The fit is spot on now that I've spent a little bit of time fiddling with the clamps, which are all replaceable in case they break - which they surely will at some point. Tomorrows commute will tell how comfy they are on the bike.

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:53 am I'm hopefully going to be getting (yet) another BMW Streetguard jacket soon (if they can find one) which will be more than sufficient for any riding (assuming it's up to par**).

** This will be the 5th Streetguard 4 Jacket I've received, there's a design flaw which means the outer pockets leak very easily: instead of simply refunding me (I didn't even pay full price), BMW HQ are insisting on repeatedly replacing the jacket, their loss! FWIW the Streetguard jacket is otherwise probably the best jacket I've ever had (bar a couple of design oddities).
Just to follow up on this.......

I picked up the replacement jacket today.... A Pace Guard Tour (the new replacement for the Streetguard in BMWs line up)

First impressions are..... mixed.

Its a typical trilaminate jacket in that it's stiff to wear and a bit odd, but comfy for all that (the Streetguard was the same), and it's fine on the bike....

HOWEVER.....

It's cold as fuck, it doesn't come with a thermal liner or a storm collar (the streetguard had both) and the cut means your kidneys are not cossetted even if your upper chest is.

I'm debating whether or not to just give it straight back, it's not a replacement for the Streetguard (which, despite the leaky pocket) was a genuine 4-season jacket, the Pace Guard simply isn't.
non quod, sed quomodo
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I think I have a BMW Streetguard jacket in the cupboard. It must be the best part of 20 years old and still waterproof and seems good. I don't think they were cheap and if RB says the modern equivalent is not good it's somewhat moot.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@Rockburner In colder weather, could you wear a gilet under the jacket?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Looking it up, if it has vents and is unlined, that suggests 'summer' or three seasons at best.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/wearp ... e-products

Intriguingly, they don't state what 'A' protection level it is, but do claim that it has:

- Leg cuff with continuously adjustable Velcro fastener.

Luckily, following Hot's thoughts:

RIDERS GEAR COLLECTION | MEN’S RIDE QUILTED JACKET

The functional Ride quilted jacket for men is thinly padded and can therefore be worn under a BMW Motorrad jacket. Thanks to the stylish, slim-fit design in biker look, the well-equipped jacket can also be worn separately and keeps the rider wonderfully warm in transitional periods.

Product Details
Functional quilted jacket used as inner jacket or worn on its own.
Cool biker look with quilting on elbows and shoulders.
PrimaLoft® padding, doubled on shoulders and elbows.
Side panels made of supple softshell.
Colours: black and silver.
£120
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Horse wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:17 am Intriguingly, they don't state what 'A' protection level it is, but do claim that it has:
Unfortunately, BMW Motorrad has become as opaque as Dainese regarding their CE ratings. A peek in-store reveals why: a lot of BMW clothing gets a crappy A-rating (compared to AA-rated protection from many of its competitors). But at least BMW has CE certified its kit, unlike Rukka's use of a loophole. If you're investing this much money, I would be looking at Klim because none of its textiles fall below AA, and Klim now offers the first Gore-Tex clobber with the top AAA-rating for protection.
Horse wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:17 amBMW RIDE QUILTED JACKET

The functional Ride quilted jacket for men is thinly padded and can therefore be worn under a BMW Motorrad jacket. Thanks to the stylish, slim-fit design in biker look, the well-equipped jacket can also be worn separately and keeps the rider wonderfully warm in transitional periods.
It's an excellent recommendation because the Ride Quilted Jacket is a brilliant piece of kit :thumbup:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Hot_Air wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:50 am @Rockburner In colder weather, could you wear a gilet under the jacket?
Probably, but seeing as it's being sold as an all-season jacket, and as the direct replacement for the Streetguard 4, it's gone back and I'll be getting the refund next week.

Horse, i spent an hour in Vines this morning looking for a "winter" jacket in BMWs range: there isn't one.
non quod, sed quomodo
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@Rockburner In that case, how about one of Hideout’s Hi-Pro range? Off the shelf, the Hideout Metropole jacket is (slightly) cheaper than the BMW PaceGuard, and Hideout will add a zip-in liner as you wish. I’d certainly pick it above anything from BMW (and I’ve owned clobber from both brands).
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Hot_Air wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:11 pm @Rockburner In that case, how about one of Hideout’s Hi-Pro range? Off the shelf, the Hideout Metropole jacket is (slightly) cheaper than the BMW PaceGuard, and Hideout will add a zip-in liner as you wish. I’d certainly pick it above anything from BMW (and I’ve owned clobber from both brands).
Possibly, will check it out. Now I'm not commuting daily a full all season jacket isn't as urgently required.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:10 pm Horse, i spent an hour in Vines this morning looking for a "winter" jacket in BMWs range: there isn't one.
Just out of bored interest, I looked at the online options. It seems to be 3 seasons at best, plus liner.

Go heated liner, I suppose.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:05 pm
Rockburner wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:10 pm Horse, i spent an hour in Vines this morning looking for a "winter" jacket in BMWs range: there isn't one.
Just out of bored interest, I looked at the online options. It seems to be 3 seasons at best, plus liner.

Go heated liner, I suppose.
I assume that's BMW's logic too.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

There is an advantage from minimising bulky insulation, that protectors fit more closely.

Is, maybe?
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I agree with @Horse about the importance of having protectors that can’t move in a crash. Often, I’ve tried on textiles that feel comfy but the elbow or knee armour can rotate.

Also, BMW isn’t alone in having a top-end Gore-Tex jacket without insulation. Astars and Klim sometimes do the same. I think it’s a combination of cost saving (the jackets are already expensive enough) and customers already having hi-tech mid-layers. The BMW Ride Quilted Jacket that @Horse suggested, for example, is considerably better than any zip-in liner.