utterly random picture thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Treadeager

Re: utterly random picture thread.

Post by Treadeager »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:26 pm
Treadeager wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:34 pm One example of a " good degree " , might be an honours degree , fully accredited by the professional body with whom you intend to create a full career . Eg approved by the IEEE ( Institute of Electrical & Electronic Engineering ) if you wished to have any hope of becoming a Chartered Electrical Engineer :thumbup:
I don't want to be a Chartered Electrical Engineer so clearly my time at Uni was wasted :(

I did meet Mrs D there though, so it wasn't all bad.
If you can't comprehend the difference between " one example " and " a good degree is exclusively " , you would be lucky to get a diploma , never mind a Royal Charter :lol:

I would have to agree with you though that some things in life are far more important that paper qualifications :thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Pfft, I wouldn't want to be a member of such a young institution as the IEEE anyway. ;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Horse wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:30 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:34 am I don't have no stinking degree, but you need one to do my job! :wtf:
Ditto

If I'd been recruited 'normally' I wouldn't have got beyond the CV filtering stage.
And to clarify, with the way the discussion has evolved, the requirement is a 'numerate' degree. Foal was employed by a company that only wanted graduates with a 'first' (albeit they offered him a job before results were announced :D ).
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I think it’s a sad state of affairs when people buy into these academic fantasies and try to impose them on young people trying to get a start in life.
It’s an entertaining discussion, we all have an opinion and I can think of over a million reasons why I made the right career choices.

And fortunately there is still a choice, so those that can, do, and those that can’t, teach.

But this is the random picture thread, so feast your eyes on my plums.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:08 am
And fortunately there is still a choice, so those that can, do, and those that can’t, teach.

But this is the random picture thread, so feast your eyes on my plums.
...and those that can do neither work for Ofsted. :D

Nice plums. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

All the community plum trees near my house are sans plum this year. I can only assume it's a weather thing? Tis a shame cause Baby D often used to pick her school snack on the walk in :(

Blackberries are going nuts though!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:17 am All the community plum trees near my house are sans plum this year. I can only assume it's a weather thing? Tis a shame cause Baby D often used to pick her school snack on the walk in :(

I’ve had to prune our blackberries back, our blueberries, loganberries and boysenberries are doing well, but the raspberries died.

I’ve got an apple tree that I’ve had to trim the fruit before it snapped branches under the weight, but an exact same tree 100m away in another part of the garden has zero fruit.

I wondered if it’s insect pollination, the trees in the wild part of the garden with loads of wild plants and shrubs have loads of fruit, the solitary trees scattered about seem to have struggled.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Horse wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:58 pm
And to clarify, with the way the discussion has evolved, the requirement is a 'numerate' degree. Foal was employed by a company that only wanted graduates with a 'first' (albeit they offered him a job before results were announced :D ).

I'm still confused about what is a good degree and Pony has decided not to enlighten me. Is a 1st with honours in Media Studies a better degree than a 2nd in Physics?

Clearly a Media Studies degree is gong to be a numerate degree. Let's face it, the media is all about the numbers innit.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:28 am
I’ve got an apple tree that I’ve had to trim the fruit before it snapped branches under the weight, but an exact same tree 100m away in another part of the garden has zero fruit.

I wondered if it’s insect pollination, the trees in the wild part of the garden with loads of wild plants and shrubs have loads of fruit, the solitary trees scattered about seem to have struggled.
Unlikely to be pollination as they're all in the same general vicinity. If they've been left to do their own thing they've possibly become biennial. Loads of fruit one year, nowt the next. Pretty common with apples and pears.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/problems/fruit- ... l-bearing
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Happy fans in the sun at Silverstone today :D
20230805_155611.jpg
20230805_155611.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 446 times
20230805_160022.jpg
20230805_160022.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 446 times
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yorick wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:33 pm Happy fans in the sun at Silverstone today :D
20230805_155611.jpg20230805_160022.jpg

Full house!

Respect!
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:17 am All the community plum trees near my house are sans plum this year. I can only assume it's a weather thing? Tis a shame cause Baby D often used to pick her school snack on the walk in :(

Lots of Blackberries round here but lets face it, they're nothing compared to Raspberries are they?
Few of them about and they're just better all over.
Buggerall wild bilberriers even though the ones in the garden are going nuts.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I went to check if there were any quinces on the err...quince trees...yesterday and left disappointed. They're all brown and covered in thick white fuzz, looking skanky and mouldy.

Googled it when I got home and discovered to my delight that's just how quinces grow :lol: When they're ready the fuzz falls off and they turn yellow.

Quince harvest at some point in future!
David

Post by David »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:11 pm I went to check if there were any quinces on the err...quince trees...yesterday and left disappointed. They're all brown and covered in thick white fuzz, looking skanky and mouldy.

Googled it when I got home and discovered to my delight that's just how quinces grow :lol: When they're ready the fuzz falls off and they turn yellow.

But what will you do with them? I made quince wine once. It was even worse than my regular wines.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Nice liked baked apples with sultanas & golden syrup :thumbup:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Our nob of a dog yesterday in the pissing rain, he loves going out in the rain getting soaked, then taps at the door to come in, then when we do the door handle, he runs off, which was frustrating as we were trying to get him in as we were going out....

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

David wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:39 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:11 pm I went to check if there were any quinces on the err...quince trees...yesterday and left disappointed. They're all brown and covered in thick white fuzz, looking skanky and mouldy.

But what will you do with them? I made quince wine once. It was even worse than my regular wines.
Poach them in water to soften 'em up, slice into wedges, fry in butter, serve with lamb tagine. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

David wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:39 pm

Slice it and eat it with mince,using a runcible spoon. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Quince jelly pared with a decent hard cheese is nice.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

The day after MOTO GP!
Deserted!!
IMG_1054.jpeg
IMG_1054.jpeg (123.25 KiB) Viewed 325 times
IMG_1055.jpeg
IMG_1055.jpeg (165.45 KiB) Viewed 325 times