In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Cousin Jack

Re: In todays news...

Post by Cousin Jack »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:34 am Spineless useless self-serving snivelling fucktards
The government intends to extend recognition of the CE marking for placing most goods on the market in Great Britain, indefinitely, beyond December 2024. These updates apply to the 18 regulations that fall under the Department for Business and Trade (DBT).
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-g ... businesses
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-ukca-marking

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -climbdown
Government departments (read senior civil servants) alnost always have an agenda, and in the absence of strong political leadership, that is what they will drive through. One has a strong feeling that many senior civil servants miss the opportunities to move to Brussels, and would like to restore that, despite any democratic wish to keep out.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

To me, the idea that unpicking our relationship with the EU would be quick and painless was probably the most ridiculous claim of all the ridiculous claims that were made during the lead up to and immediate aftermath of the referendum.

Imagine going through a divorce with a partner of 40 years. Then multiply it by 68 million and you have some idea of the complexity involved. This latest spat about CE markings is just part and parcel of that complexity.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:51 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:34 am Spineless useless self-serving snivelling fucktards
The government intends to extend recognition of the CE marking for placing most goods on the market in Great Britain, indefinitely, beyond December 2024. These updates apply to the 18 regulations that fall under the Department for Business and Trade (DBT).
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-g ... businesses
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-ukca-marking

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -climbdown
Government departments (read senior civil servants) alnost always have an agenda, and in the absence of strong political leadership, that is what they will drive through. One has a strong feeling that many senior civil servants miss the opportunities to move to Brussels, and would like to restore that, despite any democratic wish to keep out.
We should keep it nice and Brexity. Because it's all going so well. Just ask the northern poor who voted for it. :thumbup:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:18 pm To me, the idea that unpicking our relationship with the EU would be quick and painless was probably the most ridiculous claim of all the ridiculous claims that were made during the lead up to and immediate aftermath of the referendum.

Imagine going through a divorce with a partner of 40 years. Then multiply it by 68 million and you have some idea of the complexity involved. This latest spat about CE markings is just part and parcel of that complexity.
The only reason this part hasn't been quick has because of HM Government kowtowing to industry, constantly moving the goal posts with poorly thought out ideas and absolutely terrible communications, never mind the rest of industry that's been prepared for years and years and were ready to go, or those even further ahead and were already implementing the changes.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:25 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:18 pm To me, the idea that unpicking our relationship with the EU would be quick and painless was probably the most ridiculous claim of all the ridiculous claims that were made during the lead up to and immediate aftermath of the referendum.

The only reason this part hasn't been quick has because of HM Government kowtowing to industry, constantly moving the goal posts with poorly thought out ideas and absolutely terrible communications, never mind the rest of industry that's been prepared for years and years and were ready to go, or those even further ahead and were already implementing the changes.
Just like being in the EU then.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:25 pm The only reason this part hasn't been quick has because of HM Government kowtowing to industry, constantly moving the goal posts with poorly thought out ideas and absolutely terrible communications, never mind the rest of industry that's been prepared for years and years and were ready to go, or those even further ahead and were already implementing the changes.
Really? Everything I've read has indicated that business overwhelmingly wanted to keep the CE mark and has been lobbying hard against the prospect of firms that sell into the much larger EU market having to carry out two separate sets of safety tests, with two separate regulatory bodies.

A survey by the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) in 2021 found that just 8% of businesses were in favour of scrapping the CE mark by the start of this year, as was then the plan. One firm told the BCC this week it had spent a six-figure sum preparing to comply with the UKCA – but was still relieved it could now revert to the CE system.

So the 'Government kowtowing to industry' is one way of looking at it. The other is that sanity has thankfully prevailed.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:14 pm Really? Everything I've read has indicated that business overwhelmingly wanted to keep the CE mark and has been lobbying hard against the prospect of firms that sell into the much larger EU market having to carry out two separate sets of safety tests, with two separate regulatory bodies.

A survey by the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) in 2021 found that just 8% of businesses were in favour of scrapping the CE mark by the start of this year, as was then the plan. One firm told the BCC this week it had spent a six-figure sum preparing to comply with the UKCA – but was still relieved it could now revert to the CE system.

So the 'Government kowtowing to industry' is one way of looking at it. The other is that sanity has thankfully prevailed.
Yes, really, it's what I've mostly been spending the last 4 years of my working life doing.

I'm not saying everything that is / was / will be CE marked is a walk in the park to change over to the UKCA mark, but a lot would have been / was.
Sure there would have been some extra expense in some fields, but labs were mitigating those costs by running work in parallel in the UK & EU, and again that's only where 3rd party type examinations were required.
And the previous extension before this one also addressed a large chunk of this by allowing manufacturers to use previously issued EU type examinations until their expiration date, or 2027 which ever came first.

<Tin foil hat on> Give it a year or two and we'll be asking for mutual recognition and this will be denied by the EU, rightly so they don't want 3rd countries dicking about with their stuff, a couple of years later will be interesting times if nothing changes, UK industry will have to comply with EU law to sell in the UK without having any representation or influence over the decision making processes.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:34 pm UK industry will have to comply with EU law to sell in the UK without having any representation or influence over the decision making processes.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:34 pm Yes, really, it's what I've mostly been spending the last 4 years of my working life doing.
In which case you have my genuine sympathy
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:34 pm I'm not saying everything that is / was / will be CE marked is a walk in the park to change over to the UKCA mark, but a lot would have been / was.
But wouldn't that have still caused major headaches for businesses wanting to sell into the EU? Two sets of rules, two sets of testing etc.
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:34 pm <Tin foil hat on> Give it a year or two and we'll be asking for mutual recognition and this will be denied by the EU, rightly so they don't want 3rd countries dicking about with their stuff, a couple of years later will be interesting times if nothing changes, UK industry will have to comply with EU law to sell in the UK without having any representation or influence over the decision making processes.
Er yes - so the worst of all worlds. But it was predictable, and predicted...
Horse

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:45 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:34 pm I'm not saying everything that is / was / will be CE marked is a walk in the park to change over to the UKCA mark, but a lot would have been / was.
But wouldn't that have still caused major headaches for businesses wanting to sell into the EU? Two sets of rules, two sets of testing etc.
Practically, if the test house had 'both hats' and could run tests in parallel, then it might not have been difficult. But still extra faff, paperwork and cost.
. But it was predictable, and predicted...
Or we could have taken the 'best practice' approach it seems that some international suppliers use, and lie? That might have kept costs down. Otherwise ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:45 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:34 pm Yes, really, it's what I've mostly been spending the last 4 years of my working life doing.
In which case you have my genuine sympathy
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:34 pm <Tin foil hat on> Give it a year or two and we'll be asking for mutual recognition and this will be denied by the EU, rightly so they don't want 3rd countries dicking about with their stuff, a couple of years later will be interesting times if nothing changes, UK industry will have to comply with EU law to sell in the UK without having any representation or influence over the decision making processes.
Er yes - so the worst of all worlds. But it was predictable, and predicted...
1, Hey ho, I get paid the same either way, and fortunately this shouldn't have an impact on me personally.
2, Not really, we're still a long way off for when requirements are expected to diverge, but even then it's a separate market, you have to comply with every set of requirements, US, AUS, Africa, Middle East, Russia, Japan, China etc etc, for small guys I can see it being a bit of a pain, but for the regular / big manufacturers that sell globally not so much.
3, But could have been so much more
Ant

Post by Ant »

All white kitchen triggers the box tickers....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/0 ... ECRR5fhNwc
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Ant wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:04 pm All white kitchen triggers the box tickers....

It's a social media spat - it's only News because the Torygraph have decided it is, and then gone out to people with an industry presence and asked them for a soundbite answer to the question that is essentially "how do you feel about that bloke's obvious sexism, racism and noninclusivism?". ;)
Personally I would tell them to eff off.
Ant

Post by Ant »

No it's news because it's news, it's not only the Telegraph who reported on it.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:34 pm Give it a year or two and we'll be asking for mutual recognition and this will be denied by the EU, rightly so they don't want 3rd countries dicking about with their stuff, a couple of years later will be interesting times if nothing changes, UK industry will have to comply with EU law to sell in the UK without having any representation or influence over the decision making processes.
Indeed. We’re well on the way to this situation in some industry sectors.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Ant wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:04 pm All white kitchen triggers the box tickers....

Some of them might be trans men, would that make it ok or would trans women be better?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mussels wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:05 pm

Some of them might be trans men, would that make it ok or would trans women be better?
I dunno, is it even not ok? I can't see the issue with men in the kitchen. I think they're better in the kitchen than women are.

Really it's a mixed message from a rights group to suggest they want to go back to the days of thinking it's the place of a woman, in the kitchen....
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Is there some sort of "Tranny News Hysteria" publication that some of you are subscribing to?
Or is it just the Express and Telegraph that are Sherlock-Holmesing the life out of nothing bitching on social media?
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:21 pm Is there some sort of "Tranny News Hysteria" publication that some of you are subscribing to?
Or is it just the Express and Telegraph that are Sherlock-Holmesing the life out of nothing bitching on social media?
Nah, that all-white kitchen story was fairly widely reported- this is where i saw it.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 86054.html

Also heard them discussing it on R4, it did suprise me though that no one asked what the make up of the kitchen might be in your average curry house or Chinese restaurant...
Seemed like pretty pathetic social media-driven non-news to me, there are many far more important things going on in the world to report and/or get in a froth about IMO
Anyway, I see that Straker did a bit of a U-turn on his initial posts, as he is of course a businessman as well as a social media user - he didn't think that first one through , but if nothing else, I guess this story has taught him how to (not) use social media :D
Ant

Post by Ant »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:21 pm Is there some sort of "Tranny News Hysteria" publication that some of you are subscribing to?
Speaking of "Tranny News Hysteria", have you heard the bother that Costa Coffee are in?

People just never learn from other companies who end up broke.