What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Plus if you're doing what the chap in the photo appears to be doing, you probably want to get on and do that, not stop for pics.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

…and while we’re dealing with such details, the link includes the expression “bridal footpaths”. Are they the ones usually called Lovers’ Lane or similar?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Wossname wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:04 am …and while we’re dealing with such details, the link includes the expression “bridal footpaths”. Are they the ones usually called Lovers’ Lane or similar?
The Internet is dogging, I mean dogged, with such errors.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:26 am Deep fake by the lizard men.
And wimmin. Sexist pig ;)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Booked a week in Kos . :thumbup:

I understand it's about the only Greek island left with any tinder-dry vegetation just about ready to combust... :think:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Got an MOT for the CBR at FWR then came home the longish way via the A2 - saw traffic police doing speed checks with Handheld device (actually looked like pair of Binoculars) in Deptford .
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

asmethurst99 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:06 pm Got an MOT for the CBR at FWR then came home the longish way via the A2 - saw traffic police doing speed checks with Handheld device (actually looked like pair of Binoculars) in Deptford .
S'funny, but I haven't a cop with a speedgun for years, now they seem to be popping up all over the place? :think:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:54 pm Hows that picture lit? Very strong white light coming in on it?
No idea, but it does look odd. I guess it was to improve the view inside the vehicle, kit bags, etc.
cheb wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:06 am Well done BTW, do the vehicles have telematics fitted?
They track our location even when using our own cars.

@Yorick This is me driving, remember. I taught Captain Slow everything he knows. I doubt driver aids will get any use :)
Hmmm well perhaps. We are dressed in green ...

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:33 am (Maybe they don't actually have one!).
One? Dozens of them!

Photoshop cut & paste? Daz can check all the windows
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:39 am Plus if you're doing what the chap in the photo appears to be doing, you probably want to get on and do that, not stop for pics.
If he's intending to carry the defibrillator in one hand, then swing out the kit bag with his right, he's a lot stronger than I am! The kit bag has an oxygen cylinder in it.
20230727_133058.jpg
20230727_133058.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 366 times
cheb

Post by cheb »

Horse wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:43 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:54 pm Hows that picture lit? Very strong white light coming in on it?
No idea, but it does look odd. I guess it was to improve the view inside the vehicle, kit bags, etc.
cheb wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:06 am Well done BTW, do the vehicles have telematics fitted?

@Yorick This is me driving, remember. I taught Captain Slow everything he knows. I doubt driver aids will get any use :)
Hmmm well perhaps. We are dressed in green ...

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:33 am (Maybe they don't actually have one!).
One? Dozens of them!

Photoshop cut & paste? Daz can check all the windows
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:39 am Plus if you're doing what the chap in the photo appears to be doing, you probably want to get on and do that, not stop for pics.
If he's intending to carry the defibrillator in one hand, then swing out the kit bag with his right, he's a lot stronger than I am! The kit bag has an oxygen cylinder in it.

20230727_133058.jpg
Always, or just on work maters, commuting or similar?
Horse

Post by Horse »

cheb wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:50 pm
Always, or just on work maters, commuting or similar?
As 'people' we have individual ID numbers.

Each kit has a call sign (some CFRs share a kit), as does the vehicle which has its own kit bag and extra gear.

The call sign is allocated to a dedicated, charity owned, phone, so it's the phone that gets the alert.

Phone is only on when I'm going to log on to the system and be on call. From that point on they know where I am. Part of the alert is to automatically load the incident location into GPS and plot the route.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:32 pm
asmethurst99 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:06 pm Got an MOT for the CBR at FWR then came home the longish way via the A2 - saw traffic police doing speed checks with Handheld device (actually looked like pair of Binoculars) in Deptford .
S'funny, but I haven't a cop with a speedgun for years, now they seem to be popping up all over the place? :think:
Yes - and some bits of that route are 30 instead of 20 .
cheb

Post by cheb »

Right. When I drove for the bank the vehicle walkround check was latterly done on a phone. As an occasional driver I didn't have a bank issued phone and the app they used was always on, even in the background and afair it couldn't be disabled in settings nor would it run with location being set to on.

I used a 2nd phone that was only turned on while I did the walkround and it had sent the data. Other than that it was either in airplane mode or off. After all, why would I need my phone to be on when I was driving, it's not like I could answer it.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Probably listening to everything you said, monitoring your online activities, reading messages, so they could sack you if you were reputationally risky ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Pen's nephew and 4 pals are over and hired some leccy MTBs with me planned as guide.
All 19 and full of bravado in pub night before.
So yesterday I took them on 3 hour tough ride.
They had to get off and push for 3 or 4 short bits, but only way to get through.

Blunted by 3 punctures on 1 bike. Luckily I had proper tools.
But only gave them 2 spare tubes, so I'd to shoot home for the mighty Duster as recovery vehicle after 3rd punctures
They were impressed it got there.

Then 4 followed me home and I made it tough

They loved it as they'd never have found the routes and stunning scenery
cheb

Post by cheb »

Horse wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:45 pm Probably listening to everything you said, monitoring your online activities, reading messages, so they could sack you if you were reputationally risky ;)
Reputationally risky? I'm pretty sure the transport manager celebrated when I handing in my notice. I was so far down the foodchain I wasn't even allowed on the internet. Yet my expenses claims were signed off almost instantly, they certainly weren't checked in any detail. My line manager being on a different island helped I think.

Locally at least I was indispensible, the service stopped after I left.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Drove home from north Wales being chased by a big bastard weather front all the way.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Woke up around 3am with really bad chest pains. Still got them now. My initial thought was that I was about to shuffle off my mortal coil, but in the cold light of day I think it's trapped wind...

Jeeeeez, is it uncomfortable though.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:34 am Woke up around 3am with really bad chest pains. Still got them now. My initial thought was that I was about to shuffle off my mortal coil, but in the cold light of day I think it's trapped wind...

Jeeeeez, is it uncomfortable though.
Ring 111 and they should fast track you to ambulatory services at your local hospital. If it is indigestion, I can assure you they won't think you've wasted their time as I'm sure @Horse will confirm! Worse case scenario, you'll be in the right place and that can literally be difference between life and death. Oh and dibs on the Trumpet !
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

6 hrs with unusual “indigestion” pain - I don’t think so. I hope you’re ok, and I hope you contacted 111. That happened to me 2 years ago, I got a difficult stent put in and I’m fine now. And still alive, which is a bonus. YKIMS. Update?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:34 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:34 am Woke up around 3am with really bad chest pains. Still got them now. My initial thought was that I was about to shuffle off my mortal coil,
Ring 111 and they should fast track you to ambulatory services at your local hospital. If it is indigestion, I can assure you they won't think you've wasted their time as I'm sure @Horse will confirm! Worse case scenario, you'll be in the right place and that can literally be difference between life and death.
I trust that you you did the sensible thing and googled it? ;)

As said, whatever they think privately (if you fart at them), it would be considered very seriously.

An ambo crew would ask about other symptoms*, and stick you on a monitor, and could probably see whether there is anything ongoing. If they take you in to A&E (or 'ED' now), a blood test could show if you'd had a heart attack.

And being really cheery:

“Most heart attacks hit during the early morning hours from 4 – 10 am when blood platelets are stickier, and there is increased adrenaline released from the adrenal glands that can trigger rupture of plaques in coronary arteries,”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mygrandstr ... 3famp=true

Hope you're ok.

* At which point you say: "pull my finger!"