Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
JackyJoll

Re: Debanking

Post by JackyJoll »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:58 am
JackyJoll wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:19 am
gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:13 am Her position was untenable. She rode roughshod over GDPR regulation by briefing the media on an individual and told a pack of porkies to boot.

Unbelievable.
Which leads us to think she’s an idiot. How did she get the job?
Diversity?…
The intellectually diverse bank!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

According to the BBC (yeah OK, slightly less than stellar provenance in this context :D ) she started at Natwest 30 years ago as a trainee. She was the first person to receive a bonus post the 2008 bail out (when the government acquired some of NatWest) off the back of strong profits.

So yeah, she's made a pretty big mistake and is now paying for it, but it doesn't appear she was parachuted into her job off the back of being a woman. How many of you started at the bottom in a big firm, then rose to the top over three decades and delivered big profits?

And then fucked it all up :D
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:44 am So yeah, she's made a pretty big mistake and is now paying for it, but it doesn't appear she was parachuted into her job off the back of being a woman. How many of you started at the bottom in a big firm, then rose to the top over three decades and delivered big profits?

Slag off Farage, wait for his public martyrdom, and take a nice earlier retirement - with a big ol' payoff to keep quiet. Top work! Some of the rest of you should have tried harder at school. ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bet he was in on it the whole time :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm struggling to make sense of it, so Dame Alison Rose personally spoke to the BBC? Or was a statement given with her name on it?
IME its rare outside of formal interviews for CEOs to pass information to news agencies unless it comes via the official media channels in a business - and if it does then its rarely actually from the CEO, it just has their name on it.
Ant

Post by Ant »

It was suggested that at a dinner event, she gobbed off to a BBC reporter.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

CEOs need to make their minds up whether they're paying full attention to "what goes on in their name". When something goes wrong it always starts out as some lackey's fault.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:16 am CEOs need to make their minds up whether they're paying full attention to "what goes on in their name". When something goes wrong it always starts out as some lackey's fault.
Well everything that goes on is in their name, even when they don't actually do it, they take the salary so they have to accept it.

A well known ex-CEO was recently moaning that he took the fall for things that were outside his control, the small detail stuff that he couldn't possibly be expected to read in dozens of documents that he had to sign that were a hundred pages long, etc. He thought it unfair and I'm on the fence about it, any CEO of any company of reasonable size will sign dozens of documents every day, each one would take several hours of scrutinising to ensure all details are noticed, so it's impossible to do it.

You add your signature and hope that everyone involved has done their jobs properly, and you take the fall if they haven't - that's why CEOs get paid so much even though to the uneducated they seem like they don't actually do that much. Many spend decades working their arse off doing long hours on the corporate ladder to get to that position, only to risk it all going up in a puff of smoke at any moment, so naturally one would want a massive salary for it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:54 am Many spend decades working their arse off doing long hours on the corporate ladder to get to that position, only to risk it all going up in a puff of smoke at any moment, so naturally one would want a massive salary for it.
And then they get accused of being an idiot who's only there for diversity and inclusion reasons :D
westers151

Post by westers151 »

Ant wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:22 am
Saga Lout wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:58 am
JackyJoll wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:19 am

Which leads us to think she’s an idiot. How did she get the job?
Diversity? Not enough women in top jobs?
Well that's why she was employed in such a position, to make the bank more diverse and inclusive.

That turned out well then.
The diversity and inclusivity part of all this makes me laugh; in a truly diverse and inclusive society you'd embrace everyone, no matter their views, etc. However, all this debacle shows is that you'll be included so long as you fit our idea of what's correct.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:44 am According to the BBC (yeah OK, slightly less than stellar provenance in this context :D ) she started at Natwest 30 years ago as a trainee. She was the first person to receive a bonus post the 2008 bail out (when the government acquired some of NatWest) off the back of strong profits.

So yeah, she's made a pretty big mistake and is now paying for it, but it doesn't appear she was parachuted into her job off the back of being a woman. How many of you started at the bottom in a big firm, then rose to the top over three decades and delivered big profits?

I've worked for most of the big banks and Gnatwest in particular about three times, they aren't like the other banks and have some unusual staffing ideas. After they were a significant part of the financial crash and the government took over their plans seemed driven by politics such as pushing as many jobs as possible into Scotland which was no cheaper than London.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:56 am
Potter wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:54 am Many spend decades working their arse off doing long hours on the corporate ladder to get to that position, only to risk it all going up in a puff of smoke at any moment, so naturally one would want a massive salary for it.
And then they get accused of being an idiot who's only there for diversity and inclusion reasons :D
IME often accused of being an idiot because they're only aware of high level details, ask them anything that has depth and they're lost, giving the impression that they haven't got a clue about the subject. I'd be surprised if she knew very much at all about many of the banks clients, beyond any that she'd taken a personal interest in.

That's why I wondered whether it actually came out of her mouth, or whether she's just taking the fall for it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well she did say she assumed this info was already in the public domain, or something along those lines. It does make me wonder if she is indeed taking the fall becuase she was aware of communications going on etc, but not the details. If she was always the one, and the only one, why would she have been assuming stuff about what was in the public domain already?

Or maybe it's all just bollox.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:04 pm Well she did say she assumed this info was already in the public domain, or something along those lines. It does make me wonder if she is indeed taking the fall becuase she was aware of communications going on etc, but not the details. If she was always the one, and the only one, why would she have been assuming stuff about what was in the public domain already?
Indeed.

If I were in such a position, coming to the end of a career, earning c.£5m a year and the chairman suggested I take the fall for it, with a golden handshake, then I'd be tempted.

I'd be surprised if she were so stupid to have blurted out bank info by accident, although there have been some high profile CEOs (one I've met personally) who took a large fall and still seem delusional about why, especially if they've only worked for one employer for many years and have been nursed along.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:01 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:44 am According to the BBC (yeah OK, slightly less than stellar provenance in this context :D ) she started at Natwest 30 years ago as a trainee. She was the first person to receive a bonus post the 2008 bail out (when the government acquired some of NatWest) off the back of strong profits.

I've worked for most of the big banks and Gnatwest in particular about three times, they aren't like the other banks and have some unusual staffing ideas. After they were a significant part of the financial crash and the government took over their plans seemed driven by politics such as pushing as many jobs as possible into Scotland which was no cheaper than London.

RBS's lovely new build campus courtesy of Fred was very plush. Free bar in the evening too, even for us lowly van drivers. They wouldn't give you unopened bottles, boo his.

Amusingly, to me anyway, it was built on the site of an old lunatic asylum.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I think she's taken the fall in the misguided belief this will allow Nige to leave it there. But he is nothing, if not tenacious, and hes after Flavel and Harris as well. Plus more bad publicity for the BBC. All in all a good days work for Farage...
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:58 pm I think she's taken the fall in the misguided belief this will allow Nige to leave it there. But he is nothing, if not tenacious, and hes after Flavel and Harris as well. Plus more bad publicity for the BBC. All in all a good days work for Farage...
I think he's right to do that, after the BBC's high horse about Huw Edwards they deserve all they will get.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The BBC do seem to bounce back and forwards between "intrusion into private affairs with dubious evidence" and "the press shouldn't report on unproven stories, people have the right to a private life".

Happy mediums are so 20th century.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Just reported - "Dame Alison was said to have had dinner with the BBC’s business editor Simon Jack the night before he reported the reason for Farage’s account being closed was because he had fallen below the wealth threshold, citing a source familiar with the matter." - BBC

Silly girl.

I had a mentor* who used to write for some of the major broadsheets, a lovely eccentric old bloke who had become quite disillusioned with the UK press, he gave me some stellar advice as I was rising in my career and warned me that the press are not your friends, they're only there to grab that one soundbite that gets them a headline and they don't care if they burn you in the process.

One would be mad to be in any sensitive senior role and have any unguarded conversations with any members of the UK press.

*Ironically another mentor I had years ago was a retired BBC exec, quite stuffy and a bit out of touch :lol:
slowhare

Post by slowhare »

The banking crisis continues as another US bank, Pacific West, goes under. It’s all going according to plan. 🥳