Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by weeksy »

No meals out, no fuel being used.

May as well buy some bits

Supermofo

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by Supermofo »

Didn't you have one for your old one? Assume it's a different fit.

I've thought about getting a coolcover made for mine. I've found mine is comfy in the main and only starts to niggle at about 2.5-3 hours but a coolcover should extend that further. My neighbour has one on his 1190, but I'd need to get one custom made for mine.
https://www.coolcovers.co.uk/
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:11 pm Didn't you have one for your old one? Assume it's a different fit.

I've thought about getting a coolcover made for mine. I've found mine is comfy in the main and only starts to niggle at about 2.5-3 hours but a coolcover should extend that further. My neighbour has one on his 1190, but I'd need to get one custom made for mine.
https://www.coolcovers.co.uk/
They're swappable but only as a pair. So if i went on the older one, i'd need an older pillion too.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:17 pm They're swappable but only as a pair. So if i went on the older one, i'd need an older pillion too.
Ah yes, the new one has a totally different seat set up! I remember now from the bike the KTM Centre gave me. I remember missing the bum stop that mine has as I find that handy at times to brace against.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Only just read the start of this thread. The long Leo (sounds like a dodgy film), but I might be biased :lol: Your old one still looks great on mine. And the sound whilst not loud and not much louder than stock is nice when on the bike, and I don't give a fig if other people can hear it or not.

Still have a wobble now and again of getting the Leo de-cat, but mine runs so nicely that I'm loath to mess it up fueling wise. Plus looks like Mrs is not now getting paid for the work she did in March and not again until the 80% thing from the government kicks in...or not. :( Bugger, no toys for me.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Had some moody Chinese decat pipe and can on my 690. Think I may have run it with a baffle in as I don't recall it being that noisy? Unlike my CCMs with the CCM ace cans on, those bastard would set car alarms off if you opened it up past parked cars! :o :lol:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:44 pm Had some moody Chinese decat pipe and can on my 690. Think I may have run it with a baffle in as I don't recall it being that noisy? Unlike my CCMs with the CCM ace cans on, those bastard would set car alarms off if you opened it up past parked cars! :o :lol:
My Duke II with twin G-Force cans was pretty obnoxious. It use to shake the floor :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I decided to hang fire on the exhaust for now and get one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIDO-LITHIU ... 1438.l2649

Every now and again my bike throws an error on startup

"ABS+MTC Fail" only on first startup after a week or so... It's been into KTM and the only reason they found is the battery, so they fitted another, then another and eventually we got happy... but it's only 90% happy. So i thought instead of messing about and the decent weight saving, i'd go with a higher cranking amps Li battery and try it.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I note that battery is for the older models. I assume it fits your later one?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:29 am I note that battery is for the older models. I assume it fits your later one?
No... but i noted it about 2 mins after putting the link up too !

So i've cancelled that and ordered the right one !!!!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Battery arrived, installed and given a little charge.

Absolutely astounded by the weight of the thing !!

Image2020-03-31_02-37-22 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2020-03-31_02-37-14 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2020-03-31_02-37-06 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2020-03-31_02-36-57 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
G.P

Post by G.P »

The Lithium-Ion battery I put on my 900SS trackbike was about 50g heavier than that, but the MotoBatt battery that came out weighed over 5kgs! :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well in the context of sorting the ABS+MTC error on startup, it did... well... Nothing.

With the standard battery i'd get it 1/10 starts

With the Lipo.... every start.... even fully charged etc. So that's gone and being replaced by a Yuasa next...
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

Lithium batteries are incredible, I bought one for my 701, didn’t have time to fit for a few days so it sat on kitchen workshop, I couldn’t walk past it without picking it up every time 😀
Our lass was sick of hearing how amazingly light it was every time I went into the kitchen😂
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:13 am
weeksy wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:11 pm Well in the context of sorting the ABS+MTC error on startup, it did... well... Nothing.

With the standard battery i'd get it 1/10 starts

With the Lipo.... every start.... even fully charged etc. So that's gone and being replaced by a Yuasa next...
Surely an electron is an electron? If the battery is suitably rated and charged then it shouldn't make a difference?
Sounds like the problem is in the bike.
It's a tricky one matey. They've been through the bike with a proverbial fine toothcomb. It draws no more current on start up than the others they have in stock, but if the battery is anything less than 100% then it throws this error. However it doesn't affect the bike in any way other than that, the ABS and MTC are still activated once the error goes away.
They stuck on the YTZ10 which as i say, throws the error maybe 1/10 times this has higher cranking amps than the stock battery. I assumed the LiPo would have better cranking amps, but clearly it's not all about cranking amps as that threw the error every single time.

I don't know the answer or the solution, i've owned it 8 months now so it's not like i can go in and swap it for another one realistically. Partly due to it being 8 months old and partly because KTM don't make them any more. If i put the bike on the optimate and it's 100%, then no error. If i go for a ride, then start again, no error. But a couple of days/weeks, then it's likely to error on first start.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

If the battery really does make a difference, then may be worth trying an Enduroline one.

They don't appear to be anything special in terms of technology, but in my experience really do live up to the claims- I've been through loads of batteries on my 525 over the years, various manufacturers,- my go-to default used to be Yuasa but this one is by far the best I've ever tried. Still cranks it faster and for longer than anything else I've tried, and its been on there a good 4 years so far
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tricky wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:43 am If the battery really does make a difference, then may be worth trying an Enduroline one.

They don't appear to be anything special in terms of technology, but in my experience really do live up to the claims- I've been through loads of batteries on my 525 over the years, various manufacturers,- my go-to default used to be Yuasa but this one is by far the best I've ever tried. Still cranks it faster and for longer than anything else I've tried, and its been on there a good 4 years so far
The cranking speed/time doesn't seem to change, they go through a certain cranking process no matter what's on there, no matter even if i have it connected to a power pack. But when it's on a power pack or a NOCO etc it works perfectly... then with a battery that's not quite 100% it throws the brief error.
I'm struggling to find a courier to send this Shido back.. it may end up in the ZX6 as no couriers/shipping seems to allow them. I think people sending them out must be bending the rules a bit.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'd just connect it up to optimate every time you park up at home. I always do that anyway.
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:18 am I'd just connect it up to optimate every time you park up at home. I always do that anyway.
IT's not unfeasible.. but seems excessive.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

It's on about 4-5 i've seen throughout the forums. As far as i know, none have been resolved as such.

When they were testing, they'd do it on a charged battery, start 1, fine.... Start 2, fine... If you stopped it after say 30s then obviously it's lost a tiny bit of it's residual start by doing them cranks and then on the 3rd charge it wouldn't work.

It was in the workshop for 2 weeks.

Clearly at the moment i'm not taking it anywhere because of the CV19 stuff and simply because the dealer is closed for the duration.

So i guess i'm just sitting and pondering.

I have no doubt my dealer will do whatever is needed to resolve it should i push them on it.... Assuming it's something they can actually sort of course. :)